Torn axle boot.. easy fix? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)

3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View Camry LE 94's Photo Gallery
3rd Generation Torn axle boot.. easy fix?

I just jacked up my 96 Camry L4 to inspect the wheels and it's surroundings and I noticed the front driver-side boot is torn open with grease all over its surroundings. Is this an easy fix, as in am I able to replace the boot without more hassle, such as taking the axle off, etc. I think I read that somewhere on a thread but I couldn't find it. Any tips would be highly appreciated.

EDIT: I was told it's a lot easier to replace the entire axle... Is that accurate?

http://www.blackgirljuice.com/wp-con...n_lacey_01.mpg

Last edited by Camry LE 94; 08-11-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Camry LE 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Toyota-Lexus Fanatic

View mandyfig's Photo Gallery
The labor to replace the boot is equal to the labor replacing the axle. My mechanic said once the dust boot is cracked, the seal is compromised, might as well replace the axle. The axle is not expensive. Aftermarket is only $50 after core charge refund.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
D.I.Y.'er since 2004

Gameroom cash: $289291
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View DxElite's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camry LE 94 View Post
I just jacked up my 96 Camry L4 to inspect the wheels and it's surroundings and I noticed the front driver-side boot is torn open with grease all over its surroundings. Is this an easy fix, as in am I able to replace the boot without more hassle, such as taking the axle off, etc. I think I read that somewhere on a thread but I couldn't find it. Any tips would be highly appreciated.

EDIT: I was told it's a lot easier to replace the entire axle... Is that accurate?
Yes, it is easier over all to just replace the entire axle.

This thread talks about the boot and some options, be worth a look.

'00 Camry 5sfe DIY&Custom mods car : Cardomain
-Dual Bi-Xenon HID retrofit w/ custom halos - Custom LED tail light build - Custom black and clear corner lights
-Custom interchangeable Short Ram/Cold Air Intake -Whiteline RSB - Custom Rear Strut Bar
DxElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Camry LE 94's Photo Gallery
ok thanks for the replies. do any of you think using a quick boot replacement would be a bad idea?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
D.I.Y.'er since 2004

Gameroom cash: $289291
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View DxElite's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camry LE 94 View Post
ok thanks for the replies. do any of you think using a quick boot replacement would be a bad idea?
If the CV joint didn't get damaged from running without the grease for a while, then personally I think if you get the right kit that's designed for your car and is the kind that's glued shut would be good enough. It is one of the quickest, cheapest, and easier fix options.

Otherwise, if you think the CV joint is damaged, replacing the whole thing would be better.

'00 Camry 5sfe DIY&Custom mods car : Cardomain
-Dual Bi-Xenon HID retrofit w/ custom halos - Custom LED tail light build - Custom black and clear corner lights
-Custom interchangeable Short Ram/Cold Air Intake -Whiteline RSB - Custom Rear Strut Bar
DxElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Gameroom cash: $437255
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Mike Gerber's Photo Gallery
Replacing the axle is not an easy DIY repair for a novice, IMHO.

Mike
Mike Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
View cruisn76's Photo Gallery
I don't get why recently people are saying to replace the entire axle just because of a ripped boot.

The boot IMO is cheap, and can be replaced in 30mins if you have performed it before.

A very helpful tool is a cone shape cylinder that you can pick up at a hardware store. Place the boot on the outside of the cone, grease it up good, and try to slide it in to axle.

As long as the bolts required to remove the axle is not seized, the job can be done fairly quickly.

Like I have mentioned in previous threads, I have replaced my boot numerous times, and if the leak/rip is detected early enough and there is no damage, by greasing it up and replacing the boot its cheaper.

Btw, when I had my boots replaced it was $60 bucks. I don't think you can get axles for $60.

390,000km, Retrofited Projectors + 6000k HID, 2500k Fogs, SRI, K-Sport Coilovers, TRD Rear Sway Bar, GEN4 Ralco Short Shifter, Alpine 7" IVA-D900, 2 x 10" MTX / MTX 900W Amp

Last edited by cruisn76; 08-08-2009 at 03:42 PM.
cruisn76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Still confused...

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
View 95WhiteCamry's Photo Gallery
^^ i'll agree on that. I had both of my boots replaced (left and right) and paid 80 dollars parts plus labor. My mechanic said that since it was caught so early on (about 2 days before repair) that the joints weren't compromised, and that it was safe to redo the boot and not the entire axle. Rule of thumb, if you don't hear serious clicking of any sort fron that side of the axle while turning, it should be fine.
Yes, Alex is the resident woman-problems guy here at TN... take his advice...
'95 i4 camry sedan -> wrecked june of 2006 by a girl who couldn't drive
'95 v6 camry coupe (dropped, rimmed, front end converted, tinted and debadged) -> current
95WhiteCamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)