transmission fluid overfill - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-23-2009, 12:31 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
transmission fluid overfill

I had my 2001 camry's transmission fluid changed by a toyota dealer a few days ago and just found out they overfilled it. I am pissed. what should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-23-2009, 01:32 AM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Take it back to have them fix it, or you may attempt to drain some of it yourself.
#3 Old 10-23-2009, 03:06 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I would have drained it myself but the fluid level is about 2 inches above the hot mark on the dipstick and just don't want to risk damaging anything while draining it. I will take it to the dealer tomorrow to get it fixed. Anyone knows what problems can overfilling transmission cause?
#4 Old 10-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Certifiably Insane

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand View Post
I would have drained it myself but the fluid level is about 2 inches above the hot mark on the dipstick and just don't want to risk damaging anything while draining it. I will take it to the dealer tomorrow to get it fixed. Anyone knows what problems can overfilling transmission cause?
Could cause blown seals or clutch damage if the fluid foams.

1996 Paseo 5E-FE 270,xxx miles - LR parking brake seized. Time for new cables
1993 Camry LE 5S-FE 281,xxx miles - Time to re-seal spark plug tubes. Ugh I hate winter...
1997 Mazda B2300 219,xxx miles - Engine/trans back in, drives great
#5 Old 10-23-2009, 05:33 AM
Official TN Member

Don't worry about overfilled tranny. if you don't drive your car like a racer you will be fine but do take it back so they drain it.
#6 Old 10-23-2009, 09:54 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
the receipt also stated "transmission oil pan leaking"(which could have been caused by the overfill) so I also had the transmission pan gasket replaced today when i took it in. Now they say rear main seal is leaking. they didn't say anything about rear main seal when they changed the transmission oil a few days ago. Could overfilled transmission blow rear main seal? Thanks

Last edited by Brand; 10-23-2009 at 09:55 PM.
#7 Old 10-23-2009, 10:23 PM
イリジウム

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Rear main seal is on the engine, for engine oil. So I think it's a different story.

I know on newer Le Pelletier designs (ZF 6HP, GM 6L/6T, Ford 6F, etc etc) ATF level needs to be very precise. Even within a specified temperature range.

Your 01 should have the Aisin A140 series for the 4-cyl or A540 series for the 6-cyl. I don't think they are as picky about fluid level as Le Pelletier designs (but always a good idea). Besides many mechanics never seem to fill them right. These A series seem better than the newer U-series clunkers however.

Quote:
the receipt also stated "transmission oil pan leaking"(which could have been caused by the overfill) so I also had the transmission pan gasket replaced today when i took it in. Now they say rear main seal is leaking. they didn't say anything about rear main seal when they changed the transmission oil a few days ago. Could overfilled transmission blow rear main seal? Thanks
#8 Old 10-23-2009, 10:48 PM
イリジウム

Do you plan to drop the pan yourself in the future?
#9 Old 10-23-2009, 11:09 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGD View Post
Do you plan to drop the pan yourself in the future?
which pan, the transmission or the engine? The dealer also said the engine oil pan is leaking so i might try to fix that myself even though I don't see any leaks . Correct me if I am wrong but isn't rear main seal the one that goes between the engine and transmission?
#10 Old 10-24-2009, 11:28 AM
イリジウム

Pardon me. I meant the transmission pan. I'd recommend that you read up on how to drop the pan, clean it, change the strainer -- while keeping top cleanliness and fluid level accuracy.

The Dexron II/III dino fluid should be drain/refilled every 15K miles. Walmart Supertech works fine at ~$9/gallon. Don't forget the differential.

Here is a picture on the rear main seal. It's on the engine.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CBwQ9QEwBA

Now the ATF pump seal (or input shaft seal), which sits on the transmission, just opposite the rear main seal, will leak ATF and not engine oil. A competent mechanic should know that, but not one who tells you your transmission is leaking engine oil. Know what I mean?

If you are having engine oil leaks you need first make sure all the gaskets are sealing properly. The engine PCV system needs vacuum in the crankcase to operate properly. The problem can be as little as a sensor o-ring. Ask me how I know that.

Quote:
which pan, the transmission or the engine? The dealer also said the engine oil pan is leaking so i might try to fix that myself even though I don't see any leaks . Correct me if I am wrong but isn't rear main seal the one that goes between the engine and transmission?
#11 Old 10-24-2009, 05:02 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96paseo View Post
Could cause blown seals or clutch damage if the fluid foams.
what seals could a transmission overfilled with fluid cause to blow out, do you know? Thanks
#12 Old 10-24-2009, 05:18 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGD View Post
Pardon me. I meant the transmission pan. I'd recommend that you read up on how to drop the pan, clean it, change the strainer -- while keeping top cleanliness and fluid level accuracy.

The Dexron II/III dino fluid should be drain/refilled every 15K miles. Walmart Supertech works fine at ~$9/gallon. Don't forget the differential.

Here is a picture on the rear main seal. It's on the engine.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CBwQ9QEwBA

Now the ATF pump seal (or input shaft seal), which sits on the transmission, just opposite the rear main seal, will leak ATF and not engine oil. A competent mechanic should know that, but not one who tells you your transmission is leaking engine oil. Know what I mean?

If you are having engine oil leaks you need first make sure all the gaskets are sealing properly. The engine PCV system needs vacuum in the crankcase to operate properly. The problem can be as little as a sensor o-ring. Ask me how I know that.
Thanks JohnGD! you might have misunderstood me, they said the engine oil pan is leaking and this has nothing to do with the transmission leak. I bought the car a month and a half ago, the previous owner had all the maintanance record and engine oil pan leak was even mentioned there under recommended service section. Like I said I don't see any leaks on the pavement under the car. Is rear main seal something I should worry about?

Last edited by Brand; 10-24-2009 at 11:32 PM.
#13 Old 10-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Retorque the pan bolts to Spec. in the crisscross pattern with a small torque wrench.
#14 Old 10-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Certifiably Insane

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
what seals could a transmission overfilled with fluid cause to blow out, do you know? Thanks
Output shaft seals or input shaft seal most notably.

1996 Paseo 5E-FE 270,xxx miles - LR parking brake seized. Time for new cables
1993 Camry LE 5S-FE 281,xxx miles - Time to re-seal spark plug tubes. Ugh I hate winter...
1997 Mazda B2300 219,xxx miles - Engine/trans back in, drives great
#15 Old 10-24-2009, 11:41 PM
イリジウム

Ok, so the shop first noted it was the transmission pan and now they changed their position to rear main seal?

As far as rear main seal leak goes. If so you need to make sure there are no vacuum leaks in the crankcase first. I solved one with one small o-ring. So I know how little it takes for oil pan gasket and rear main seal to appear to leak. But the problem was vacuum leak in the crankcase from a hardened sensor o-ring. Replaced that the problem was gone. Good thing I didn't drop the exhaust and do the pan gasket first!

Quote:
Thanks JohnGD! you might have misunderstood me, they said the engine oil pan is leaking and this has nothing to do with the transmission leak. I bought the car a month and a half ago, the previous owner had all the maintanance record and engine oil pan leak was even mentioned there under recommended service section. Like I said I don't see any leaks on the pavement under the car. Is rear main seal something I should worry about?

Last edited by JohnGD; 10-24-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)