How do you adjust the parking brake on a Camry w/ rear discs - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Toyota | moving forward

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
3rd Generation How do you adjust the parking brake on a Camry w/ rear discs

The parking brake on my mom's gen 3.5 is only a few clicks from the floor when I engage it. It holds the car but eventually it's going to go all the way to the floor. How do I adjust it? It's got the drum-in-disc parking brake setup since it's a V6 with discs in the back.

I did a quick search but there's mostly threads on I4s with drums in the back.

Thanks

'05 2AZ-FE @ 47K miles | '95 1MZ-FE @ 92K miles
moving forward

[Gen 5.5 - OEM fogs / FormulaONE tint / OEM rims / LEDs inside and out / Viper 1002 / EchoMaster]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Ninja wrench anywhere

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
OK, I'm sort of guessing (sorry), but most Toys will self-adjust if you work the parking brake multiple times.
#3 Old 11-02-2009, 07:16 PM
mixed bag 'o vehicles

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
since i dont have discs on my camry i can only reference other vehicles.

on jeeps, if you crawl under the car and look at the backside of the drum area on the disc, there is a small rubber dust cover (about .5" x 1"). remove that and you will have access to the star adjuster. it should only spin in the direction to tighten. tighten a couple of clicks on each side. try it and repeat if necessary. dont overtighten and cause drag. if this happens, there is a metal arm that makes the clicking noise when tightening. hold that down and spin the star wheel the opposite way.

#4 Old 11-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Canyon Killer

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
There are two spots. You need to make sure to adjust both, otherwise your handbrake "pressure equalizer" will start to hit something under the car and make a noise when you hit it. The first adjustment is at the handbrake, the second is the star wheels inside the rear brake drums. Make sure to adjust the same amount of clicks on both sides when doing this adjustment. If the handbrake shoes are starting to wear (if you yank the ebrake while moving), then you will need to replace them if they are low (pain in the butt).

Let me know if you have any other questions. I have adjusted mine a bunch, so I can probably answer any other questions.

LOTS OF GOOD 1MZ PERFORMANCE/STOCK STUFF FOR SALE! HERE!
#5 Old 11-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Senior TN Member

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
adjustment should just be like the drums... that's essentially what the parking brake for the rear discs are. remove the plug from the rotor hat, and adjust the star adjuster till its at the proper tightness. if the gen 3 rear discs are anything like the gen 5's, you won't have to worry about pushing back the self adjuster bar to undo a few clicks if its too tight like on the drums. the "clicking" for the star adjuster is simply a spring, no metal bar. see the picture below.

here's the gen 5... should be pretty similiar:

2005 Camry "LE"
TL HID Retrofit | OEM Fogs | SE Bumper | SE Grill | Factory Spoiler | Kosei K1 TS 18x7.5 | BC Racing Coilovers
TRD [RSB | Strut Tower Brace | Exhaust] || Rear Drum to Disc Swap

Gen 5 TRD Suspension + OEM Wheels + Weapon-R I-Throttle Controller FS!

Last edited by LE05; 11-02-2009 at 09:07 PM.
#6 Old 11-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Darkside Cut Me!!!

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
I always adjust like this:

Pull the handle up and down a few times and then leave it at one click

then adjust the drum shoes till they just catch.

Pull handle up and down a few more times, with handle off, there should be no drag at all. 2 clicks should engage the shoes and you cannot turn by hand at the drum/disc.

2004 RX330 Sport
2003 Cam I4 XLE
2000 Cam XLE Gold Edition V6
1998 CamCE I4 Super Commuter!
#7 Old 01-02-2014, 04:26 AM
New TN User

Great posting/pictures.
I have trouble with the park-brake for my 1996 Camry Wagon (also called Scepter I found out).

I have exactly this brake-model. Disc-brake rotor combined with internal brake-shoes for parking brake.

The problem is: I can reverse with no problem, but driving forward makes the wheel stuck. Why??? Help me.

I took it apart yesterday (the day with 5 cm snowing of course...Norway...), but could not figure out why its "stucking" som I now drive without the brake-shoes (flat parking only :-)

I thought I made enough notes, but forgot something.
Se the parts-drawing in the link. Which side is of the lever is the right "shoe-hold-down-pin" going?
A or B?

More pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/PLFQd#0

And the washer with the little arm for the "shoe-hold-down-pin/spring", where is the little arm going? Into the hole? I found picture in another thread here, but I mistake the posision is wrong. Mine was in the holes.

Thanks.

Last edited by cmry1996; 01-02-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001)