brake light comes on/off in the cold - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-12-2009, 10:05 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
brake light comes on/off in the cold

Just recently when temperatures have gone below freezing, my brake light randomly comes on and off in my 2000 camry ce. The light will come on randomly and stay on for a random amount of time (1-8 mins) until it goes off randomly. It usually happens during the first 20 minutes of driving in freezing temps, and does not happen during warm weather.

The emergency brake is working and has proper breaking force. There is still 5-8 clicks from the down position to up position. I'm not sure why the light is coming on and off, but my car is a m/t and I do need the e-brake to work always.

Anybody else have this problem before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Ninja wrench anywhere

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Have you checked the brake fluid level in the fluid reservoir (engine compartment, usually up near the firewall on the driver's side of the car)?

When is the last time you had the brakes flushed?
#3 Old 12-13-2009, 12:56 AM
イリジウム

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Also, have you inspected the brake pads lately? Usually the fluid level corresponds to the pad thickness. If all work done properly you're likely low on friction material too.

Brake fluid should be changed every two years. I'd use Castrol GT LMA or Valvoline Synthetic. Both are Low Moisture Activity fluids.
#4 Old 12-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Official TN Member

The parking brake indicator light? You must have a bad switch on the ebrake, I believe you need to remove the center console to get to the switch.
#5 Old 12-13-2009, 10:50 AM
TOYODA KAMURI

With the symptoms your describing it sounds like your low on brake fluid. & Like others said, you should check out your pads too, as more fluid is required as your pads wear down.

Best of Luck.

i love my 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L 5S-FE - 73K
9005 NIGHT GUIDE LOW BEAMS|FOG LAMPS|PIONEER HU&AUDIO|KEYLESS ENTRY
1995 Acura Legend LS KA7 3.2L C32A - 87K
SADLY, SHE HAS MUCH MORE MODS...
#6 Old 12-13-2009, 11:06 AM
TN Post Wh*re

iTrader Score: 13 reviews
The BRAKE light comes on not only for e-brake issues, but for fluid issues as well. Check them both.

My car was low on brake fluid once so only when I would accelerate, brake or hit a turn hard would the light come on. Took me forever to figure out which light was actually blinking!
#7 Old 12-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Official TN Member

Contaminated Brake Fluid

My Daughter's 2000 Camry had the same issue with the brake light coming on intermittently.
When I checked the fluid, it was up to the full level. The brake pads were done recently.

I took a turkey baster and removed all the fluid in the master cylinder and upon inspection noticed the fluid was kind of thick and gooey. Added fresh fluid to the master cylinder and gave the master cylinder a couple of whacks to "free up" the switch inside. That was 3 weeks ago and all is well.

I will be doing a complete brake fluid exchange in the warmer months.
#8 Old 12-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Rides a 1990 Camry

Folks, my 1990 Camry has recently started with this same behavior. Am I correct in assuming the low fluid issue also applies to my generation Camry?

As to what to do about it, if it's a matter of topping-off fluid, I'd imagine I can handle that. As for flushing the brakes, how involved does that get? If it's easy for a novice like me, all is well... otherwise I've got a dilemma in that we're getting ready to sell this car soon (you guys are certainly welcome to it...) and I'm hoping not to sink piles of money into a car I may not have much longer. It's been a GREAT car but mom just offered us her Subaru, with a third the miles on it, if we get rid of our Camry first. (sigh.)

Any suggestions as to the right course of action for my case? Much appreciated!
#9 Old 12-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Ninja wrench anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
Folks, my 1990 Camry has recently started with this same behavior. Am I correct in assuming the low fluid issue also applies to my generation Camry?
Yup. In fact, "brake light intermittently flashing when brake fluid is sort of low" and "brake light on continuously when brake fluid is really low" applies to pretty much any car I've owned, and that includes some US rigs from the 60's.

Quote:
As to what to do about it, if it's a matter of topping-off fluid, I'd imagine I can handle that. As for flushing the brakes, how involved does that get? If it's easy for a novice like me, all is well... otherwise I've got a dilemma in that we're getting ready to sell this car soon (you guys are certainly welcome to it...) and I'm hoping not to sink piles of money into a car I may not have much longer. It's been a GREAT car but mom just offered us her Subaru, with a third the miles on it, if we get rid of our Camry first. (sigh.)
As long as the underside of the car isn't particularly rusty, bleeding brakes isn't hard -- I used to help my dad do it when I was about 12. Actually probably younger than that the first time, but then I was just the designated brake pusher.

Helps to have a jack and some jackstands, 'tho -- it's more than a little cramped under there without having it off the ground another foot.
#10 Old 12-18-2009, 07:14 PM
イリジウム

Brake fluid absorbs moisture directly from the air. They should be changed no longer than every two years. I do it every year. Cheap enough with a quart of Castrol GT LMA or Valvoline Synthetic (both are Low Moisture Activity fluids).

Go to advanceautoparts.com
--> Click on "Advance Know-How" Tab on upper right of page
--> Click on "Know-How Articles"
--> Click on "DIY Maintenance"
--> Click on "Brake Bleeding".

Quote:

Any suggestions as to the right course of action for my case? Much appreciated!
#11 Old 12-18-2009, 07:18 PM
イリジウム

How long has that fluid been in there? That's a sign the fluid has deteriorated. Honda's brake fluid is especially bad. Some say it's made by CCI.

I use only Castrol GT LMA or Valvoline Synthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzt30 View Post
upon inspection noticed the fluid was kind of thick and gooey.
#12 Old 12-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Official TN Member

3rd Generation

my 96 Camry DX does the same thing, but only when it's cold out as well. the brake light eventually goes off when the engine reaches the highest temperature. i'm due for a brake fluid service as well. it's way too cold to do it myself though.

1996 Toyota Camry LE [130K]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)