Rear strut removal 97 Camry LE 4cyl - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001)

3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View drjpb's Photo Gallery
Rear strut removal 97 Camry LE 4cyl

I have a question on removing the rear struts on my 1997 Camry. I purchased quick struts to do this myself. Shop said it was very labor intensive and rear seat needs to be removed. I pushed forward the seats and noticed a bolt between the bottom of the seat and the panel where the seat belt is. Is that all I need to to to remove this panel with one bolt to get to the nuts holding the top of the strut? Hell they wanted 500.00. Thanks for help.

drjpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Quattrovalvole's Photo Gallery
Well I can΄t believe how much they are going to charge you It΄s only labor?

I did this work about a month and a half a go. Simple but requires patience. You have to remove the seat, the bottom . It has 2 clips , they come out if you pull it gently. In this way you will access the bolt to remove the panels.

See this thread: DIY - rear seats removal & speakers
Pura vida from Costa Rica

Last edited by Quattrovalvole; 05-11-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Quattrovalvole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Gameroom cash: $436255
View Mike Gerber's Photo Gallery
I did this job (rear struts with Monroe Quick Struts) about 4 years ago on my 98 Camry. It's the same as your 97. I can offer a few tips.

First, get a manual. If you don't have one, you can download one for free at the top of the Camry forum over at AutomotiveForums.com. The manuals are stickied there at the top. These are Toyota factory service manauls and are free downloads. Download the generation 4 manual and refer to the suspension section for the complete procedure.

Second, after reading the manual, a couple of days before doing this job remove each rear wheel and spray down all the bolts/fasteners that are going to be removed with a good penetrating oil like PB Blaster. Then reinstall the rear wheels and drive the car like that. Do this a couple of times over a couple of days, reinstalling the rear wheels and driving the car each time. The driving of the car will cause some vibration that will help the penetrating oil works in to all the threads. I'm sure you have lot's of snow and salt in your area, so rust could be a problem on a 13 year old car. This procedure will hopefully avoid problems.

Third, you really don't have to remove the rear seat cushion. You can press down firmly on the ends of the cushion and will see the one bolt on the bottom of the side bolsters (can't remember if it's 12MM or 14MM) that has to be removed. Remove the bolt and then lift up on the side bolsters and they will come right off. This will expose the 3 nuts that hold down the top of the struts. It's a bit tight in there, but they can be removed. You will have to work with a box wrench, since you won't be able to fit a socket in there. Take your time removing and reinstalling those 3 nuts on each side.

Fourth, you will need an allen wrench when removing the sway bar end links. It's needed to hold the back side while you loosen the nut form the other side. This is an area you really need to spray down well, as you don't want to brake these end links. If you do, you will have to replace them. That will add about $50-$60 to each side.

This job really isn't difficult. I did both sides in about 2-1/2 hours and I was working slowly as it was pretty hot out when I did them. Again, I highly recommend reading the procedure in the Toyota service manual before starting this job.

Good luck.

Mike
Mike Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
イリジウム

Gameroom cash: $960430
Supreme Member
View JohnGD's Photo Gallery
$500 is a joke.

Just make sure you use the new self-locking nuts supplied and torque the nuts to spec. Otherwise the nuts can come loose and make things squeak. I always use Permatex Threadlocker Blue regardless of lock nuts.

Be careful of the rubber brake line.

Last edited by JohnGD; 05-11-2010 at 08:59 PM.
JohnGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Default User Title

Gameroom cash: $407185
View bdy0003's Photo Gallery
Here is a youtube video on how its done:

It helped me when I had to replace my struts.

Credit goes to N35QU1K
Old 05-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View KiDGiB's Photo Gallery
For the 3rd brake light don't follow that video, you push the sides in and lift, no bolts necessary. Just unplug the brake light.
You can also put down a deposit at autozone to borrow their spring compressor ($54 and some change).
KiDGiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
92 Camry 5S-FE

Gameroom cash: $120850
View LittleWhiteBubble's Photo Gallery
You don't need a spring compressor if you're putting in a whole new assembly. If the rear of the car is in the air you don't need to compress them. Don't waste your money on a haines book if you can find the online manual. I downloaded the toyota shop manual for the 3rd gen camry online from **********s.com, it gives a really good step by step, I used it when doing my front and rear struts.
LittleWhiteBubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View drjpb's Photo Gallery
Any idea the size of Allen wrench I need for the sway bar end links? Thanks
drjpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $436910
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View bronzemaxell's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjpb View Post
Any idea the size of Allen wrench I need for the sway bar end links? Thanks
it is closed ended 14mm allen wrench plus 5mm hex key, make sure use wd40 or pb, and if it gets harder to loose, just rock the wrench back and forth until it become easier, it take maybe a few more minutes, but it is better than having a stripped or rounded bolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001)