2001 camry(I4) failed emission test!help! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-04-2010, 03:35 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
4th Generation 2001 camry(I4) failed emission test!help!

Hi,my 2001 camry LE(I4) failed emission test last week,
error codes:P0420 P0440 P0446.
One strange thing is that my check engine light did NOT turn on even though I got those codes?Anyone know why?
I googled and it might be a cat or O2 sensor problem,anyone has any opinions about this problem?
A mechanical said there are two problems:Cat and evapor system,and I need to pay $75 to identify the problem,is that fair?
I'm new here,and thanks very much for your help!

Update:I found a very good mechanical and he changed the Cat and fix the EVAP systems for $200 including everything,and I just passed emision test this morning,but unfortunately just a few seconds I drove out of the emission test station,the MIL goes on again,and Autozone diagnoised it as P0446 code,now it's only one code,I will update if get 0446 fixed and I also appreciate any advice.

Last edited by kinglong; 06-21-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-04-2010, 04:01 PM
92 Camry 5S-FE

You can replace an o2 sensor by yourself fairly easy. But the part is rather expensive. A muffler shop can weld in a new generic cat for you for under 100 bucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to LittleWhiteBubble For This Useful Post:
kinglong (06-07-2010)
#3 Old 06-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Wagon Crew

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglong View Post
One strange thing is that my check engine light did NOT turn on even though I got those codes?Anyone know why?
I googled and it might be a cat or O2 sensor problem,anyone has any opinions about this problem?
A mechanical said there are two problems:Cat and evapor system,and I need to pay $75 to identify the problem,is that fair?
DO NOT PAY THAT $75 . go to autozone or o'riley...and they will diagnose the problem for free

R.I.P.
Swagger Wagon - 448k mi
The Following User Says Thank You to swagger_wagon468 For This Useful Post:
kinglong (06-07-2010)
#4 Old 06-05-2010, 01:57 AM
1MZ powered MR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglong View Post
Eh, no.

Replace the rear O2 sensor first.

For P0440 and P0446, you'll need to check quite a few things. For P0440, ensure your gas cap has a good gasket and seal. The EVAP system relies on the Vapor Pressure Sensor voltage output to detect abnormalities. You'll need to check all of your EVAP hoses and vacuum lines and all three VSVs: EVAP VSV, Pressure Switching VSV, and the Closed Canister VSV.

The Pressure Switching VSV is on the actual charcoal canister, as is the Vapor Pressure Sensor. The EVAP VSV and Canister Closed VSV are near each other by the intake box.

All of those codes use a 2 trip detection logic to light up the check engine light, so if they are intermittent, they'll be pending at first, and if the problem isn't detected on the 2nd trip, the ECU clears it. But once the problem shows up again, you get pending codes and the cycle will continue until it's a constant problem.

Hope that helps you. I know it's a little technical.
#5 Old 06-05-2010, 02:49 AM
Senior TN Member

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
I had all three of those codes 6-8 months ago. I kept some notes about the solution.

1) P0401 - Insufficient EGR Flow [Possible solutions: Clean EGR Valve and related hoses. Possibly replace VSV for EGR and/or EGR vacuum modulator]
2) P0440 - Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction [Related to P0401?]
3) P0441 - Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow [Related to P0401?]
4) P0446 - Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit [Replaced VSV for Vapor Pressure Sensor on Charcoal Canister]
5) P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) [Possible solutions: replace front and rear O2 (oxygen) Sensors]

For the P0446, I began with replacing the VSV (Vecuum Switching Valve) for the Charcoal Canister. It *is* possible that the charcoal cannister itself is faulty. However, it is more likely that the VSV is bad. There are at least two DIY write-ups in this Gen4 forum about how to replace that. The OEM part can be pretty expensive (~ $61.36).

For the P0420, I began with replacing both the front and rear oxygen sensors. Start with the rear sensor though, as Jason.MZW20 recommended. It is highly recommended that you buy either OEM or Denso (OEM manufacturer) oxygen sensors. They are pretty expensive, but the best prices may be on rockauto.com.

So, start with the rear sensor, if that doesn't do it, replace the front sensor. If you STILL get the code, most likely the catalytic converter is bad. I bought a Magnaflow brand cat on Amazon for about $80 (stainless steel). A shop replace it for me for less than $40. It's literally a ten minute job for those who can cut and weld.

Jason.MZW20 also suggested inspection of some more basic items which you should also do.

Do not pay a shop to "diagnose" the issues. They will only recommend costly repair work after their "diagnosis." Go to any major auto store chain and have them check the codes for free.

What's the mileage on your car?

2000 Toyota Camry LE (Japan made) i4 5S-FE 391,159+ miles.
#6 Old 06-07-2010, 11:42 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
very helpful!

very technical,but thanks very much,I may need a repair mannual ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.MZW20 View Post
Eh, no.

Replace the rear O2 sensor first.

For P0440 and P0446, you'll need to check quite a few things. For P0440, ensure your gas cap has a good gasket and seal. The EVAP system relies on the Vapor Pressure Sensor voltage output to detect abnormalities. You'll need to check all of your EVAP hoses and vacuum lines and all three VSVs: EVAP VSV, Pressure Switching VSV, and the Closed Canister VSV.

The Pressure Switching VSV is on the actual charcoal canister, as is the Vapor Pressure Sensor. The EVAP VSV and Canister Closed VSV are near each other by the intake box.

All of those codes use a 2 trip detection logic to light up the check engine light, so if they are intermittent, they'll be pending at first, and if the problem isn't detected on the 2nd trip, the ECU clears it. But once the problem shows up again, you get pending codes and the cycle will continue until it's a constant problem.

Hope that helps you. I know it's a little technical.
#7 Old 06-07-2010, 11:45 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks very much for all the information,I'll go to autozone first see what they got there.My camry has 98k miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haux View Post
I had all three of those codes 6-8 months ago. I kept some notes about the solution.

1) P0401 - Insufficient EGR Flow [Possible solutions: Clean EGR Valve and related hoses. Possibly replace VSV for EGR and/or EGR vacuum modulator]
3) P0441 - Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow [Related to P0401?]
4) P0446 - Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit [Replaced VSV for Vapor Pressure Sensor on Charcoal Canister]
5) P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) [Possible solutions: replace front and rear O2 (oxygen) Sensors]

For the P0446, I began with replacing the VSV (Vecuum Switching Valve) for the Charcoal Canister. It *is* possible that the charcoal cannister itself is faulty. However, it is more likely that the VSV is bad. There are at least two DIY write-ups in this Gen4 forum about how to replace that. The OEM part can be pretty expensive (~ $61.36).

For the P0420, I began with replacing both the front and rear oxygen sensors. Start with the rear sensor though, as Jason.MZW20 recommended. It is highly recommended that you buy either OEM or Denso (OEM manufacturer) oxygen sensors. They are pretty expensive, but the best prices may be on rockauto.com.

So, start with the rear sensor, if that doesn't do it, replace the front sensor. If you STILL get the code, most likely the catalytic converter is bad. I bought a Magnaflow brand cat on Amazon for about $80 (stainless steel). A shop replace it for me for less than $40. It's literally a ten minute job for those who can cut and weld.

Jason.MZW20 also suggested inspection of some more basic items which you should also do.

Do not pay a shop to "diagnose" the issues. They will only recommend costly repair work after their "diagnosis." Go to any major auto store chain and have them check the codes for free.

#8 Old 06-07-2010, 11:58 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
and my MPG is around 20

It that is helpful information,but indeed I drove much more local miles than highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haux View Post

#9 Old 06-19-2010, 11:52 PM
New TN User

2001 Camry failed emission test! help!

Kinglong,

The Gov sued Toyota and settled on March 7, 2003. The settlement includes an extended warranty up to 14 years or 150K miles on the EVAP system of your Camry. My 1998 Camry was covered under this extended warranty. My MIL was on and Code P0441 present. I took the car to the Toy dealer on Friday and they repaired it under the extended warranty. The VSV had failed and was replaced. Total warranty charge was $137.50 [Toyota billed].

I discovered the Gov letter on a TN thread early this week :

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...aa/toyota.html

Hopes this helps,

ed0628
The Following User Says Thank You to ed0628 For This Useful Post:
kinglong (06-21-2010)
#10 Old 06-20-2010, 10:49 AM
[g4.Rep]

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
$75 to diagnose?! - tell them to shut the fucks up!

[TRD.jpn][TRD.usa][5Zigen][DDM][DENSO][BC][STICH][FEDERAL][STANCED]
#11 Old 06-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Official TN Member

I had the P0446 code on my 99 Corolla. Changed the charcoal canister filter, VSV connecting to the box, VSV purge valve in the engine compartment. Saw a bulletin here about my corolla on recall, but I was out of time by 12 months, mileage by 3000 miles. Something wrong with the computer. Bought a used computer from ebay. Chucked that in, still P0446. Sold it to my smog guy for what I had into the car. I kept asking him about a smoke test, smoke into the gas tank to see if there was a pin hole leak in one of the hoses connected to the emissions, but I was too lazy and I picked up a 1992 Camry and 1996 Corolla in the meantime. Well, there was a crack in one of the emissions hoses, he replaced and had two buyers waiting in line. I'm ok with that because now, I'm waiting for a 98 Tacoma to clear court ordered auction.
#12 Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks very much,but I found my camry(2001) is not on their list,they just cover some models from 1996~1998.And when I called the toyota dealer,they denied the existence of the extended warranty...
#13 Old 07-12-2010, 08:00 PM
New TN User

Here is my emission test experience. Camry 97 5SFE 220,000 Kms
Failed first test: HC ppm 86 Pass 60, CO% 0.42 Pass 0.33, NO ppm 1169 Pass 450.

Three failures indicating Catalytic Converter failure I went straight to replacement without a diagnostic.

Second test HC 8 Pass 60, CO 0.01 Pass 0.33, NO 24 Pass 450

The catalytic converter I used was a Bosal part # 096-5701 from Rock Auto fittted well and looks well built
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)