how to clean o2 sensor - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)

3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View bis_1315m's Photo Gallery
how to clean o2 sensor

I have an engine light because of my o2 sensor and dont have $120 to replace it.

So I just want to clean it up and see what happens so what can I use to clean it.

I have wd40 and I also have some denatured alcohol can I use any of these or what
bis_1315m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View korrupt1's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bis_1315m View Post
I have an engine light because of my o2 sensor and dont have $120 to replace it.

So I just want to clean it up and see what happens so what can I use to clean it.

I have wd40 and I also have some denatured alcohol can I use any of these or what

Non chlorinated carb cleaner I think would be better then wd-40 personally
korrupt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
T100 Road Warrior...

Gameroom cash: $1449110
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,770 Posts
View BamZipPow's Photo Gallery
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O2_sensor
Old 09-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $788755
View carsrus's Photo Gallery
Brake cleaner/gas supposedly work.

Just to let you know, Ive never removed any o2 sensor without destroying it to a degree. You might just wanna save up the cash.
carsrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View korrupt1's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsrus View Post
Brake cleaner/gas supposedly work.

Just to let you know, Ive never removed any o2 sensor without destroying it to a degree. You might just wanna save up the cash.

heat....heat and the proper wrench are your friend here. You CAN do it with regular combo wrench......just takes a long damn time
korrupt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
slpr1mz FTW :-)

View slpr1mz's Photo Gallery
i used a bit of tri-flow, an industrial lubercant, and my senors came off really easily.

loves it when i make ppl regret not downshifting ;-)
TRUST YOUR DRIVER RESPECT YOUR MONKEY

http://www.cardomain.com/id/slpr1mz
slpr1mz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $126925
View TierOneSupplier's Photo Gallery
I had good luck using PB Blaster and an o2 sensor socket set, which I picked up at Advance Auto. The PB Blaster just needs some time to do its job before you start trying to twist out the sensor.

Have you considered the Denso universal replacement o2 sensors? I replaced all three sensors in our '98 Sienna back last winter and the sensors were about $40 each from www.rockauto.com. Denso is the OEM brand for our van, which means all the sensor wiring color-coding was the same. This made for a very easy job of replacing the sensors. Not as easy as using the plug-and-play sensors, but heck, those cost a lot more! Try going to the Rock Auto site and enter your vehicle's description, then look under Emissions and see if there is a Denso universal sensor for your model. Since you're going to all the trouble of taking out the sensor, for $40 you can maybe get a brand new one to install in its place!
TierOneSupplier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
抵抗は無駄です

Gameroom cash: $1338130
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
View fenixus's Photo Gallery
I've always found zero problems in removing o2 sensors even on 124k mile old cars ... PB Blaster, wait 5 minutes and then use o2 socket (can borrow a set from autozone) with a 3/8'' ratchet or better a 3/8'' breaker bar or torque wrench (it's much bigger than ratchet). they come off like butter.

so, which sensor is bad that you need $120 ? upstream AFR sensor (calif specs) ? those are easiest to get to. find them (Denso) on ebay cheap, new OEM ones (no OE fit). Universal ones require splicing or using butt connectors to re-connect them to old plug. it's cheaper than OEM or OE fit though. (as posted above).

find your part number here:
http://www.densoaftermarket.com/catalog/

NTK/NGK equivalents are noticeably more expensive than Denso even when you get them on amazon.

stay away from Bosch OE equivalents, they cause only trouble and do not survive long.

'02 Solara SLE V6 1MZ-FE/A541E@ 139k
'00 Solara SE 5S-FE/A140E @ 90k

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
items For Sale

Last edited by fenixus; 09-25-2010 at 10:52 PM.
fenixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)