Quick and Easy way to check for blown fuses - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Turbo Snail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quick and Easy way to check for blown fuses

So I know a lot of you might already know how to check for blown fuses on a vehicle, but I figured I'de write this up for the people who might not know.

When you are checking for a blown fuse, instead of pulling each and every fuse out and checking it.. All you have to do is grab yourself a test light.

1. put the clamp side of your test light on the negative (-) side of your battery and Touch the end of your test light with the metal tip onto your possitive side (+) to confirm that your light works still.

---- if it works then continue to step 2. If not, replace the bulb in your test light!

2. Disconnect the clamp side off your negative post on your battery, and find a good ground in reach of what fuses your trying to test.

3. Touch the metal tip side on either side of the fuse. (there is usually a number 5, 10, 15, etc.. ---- right on the left or right side of where your number is you can see a small piece of metal showing on either side)

As you are touching the metal pin sticking up off the fuse, check to make sure the test light is lighting up.. If it lights up then check the opposite pin. If that lights up, then the fuse is good! If only one side lights up then your fuse is blown more than likely.

Some fuses need you to turn on cetain things before voltage will go through the fuse. Refer to your fuse diagram before pulling the fuse and see what controls each fuse. You might have to turn something on to check for voltage

Additional Safety Note:

MAKE SURE NOT TO BRIDGE THE FUSE . AKA: TOUCHING BOTH SIDES OF THE FUSE WITH THE TEST LIGHT . THE VOLTAGE WILL BRIDGE ACROSS AND KEEP RUNNING VOLTAGE THROUGH THAT FUSE/WIRE CAUSING IT TO MELT / POSSIBLY CATCH ON FIRE!!!

As long as you make sure just to touch one side at a time, you will be alright!

DISCLAIMER: The contents of this article are not necessarily the official views of, nor endorsed by, the owner of Toyotanation(com).

Last edited by Perkins; 10-11-2010 at 11:33 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perkins For This Useful Post:
jordan7831 (10-11-2010), O_loung1 (05-17-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Freakin Scooters

Garage
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Sticky vote! Wait... maybe I can stick these now...

Honda Scoots Galore

TOTALED: '03 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4L, '96 Camry LE 5S
#3 Old 10-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Turbo Snail

Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
(Thread Starter)
thanks Lynch . I actually posted this post and my multimeter write up in another forum (hondaclub.com) Because I own a 96 Accord too.. I just figured that some folks on here may find it useful too
#4 Old 10-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Freakin Scooters

Garage
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
No problem. I think more general car things need to be added to a section in the sticky, as you can see by my latest thread.

Honda Scoots Galore

TOTALED: '03 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4L, '96 Camry LE 5S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)