DIY: How to install keyless entry - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-21-2010, 05:19 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
(Thread Starter)
DIY: How to install keyless entry

I got home today and my keyless entry system had been here for a while so I figured I would open it up and see what was in it.

First of all, there were a billion wires and connectors. Then, the instructions made NO sense.

I wanted to make this so the next guy that gets shitty instructions can figure out what to do.

Note: This is for remote entry ONLY. Not remote start, not an alarm, remote entry only.
Another note: If you have an aftermarket alarm (maybe even the stock alarm), get ready for it to go NUTS. I have half ish of an aftermarket alarm, but with no key fob and no siren. Most of the wires have been cut anyway. But disconnecting the battery turned out to be a poor choice.

Tools needed:
  • Socket set (for finding a ground/undoing the battery)
  • Wire cutters/strippers
1) Disconnect the battery.
2) remove the drivers side kick panel.

3) there's a square blue connector with wires, going into the door. Unclip it. Now, find a light green wire and a dark green wire, right next to each other.

4) Tap into them (this is the only part the instructions told me which wires to use) and connect it to the module. Then get your ground wires together and ground them on the grounding bolt nearby. I had 2 ground wires. Then get your constant 12+ V wire. I just ran one straight from the battery.
5) Hook it all up, and hide it under the dash.

Bam. Done. Some kits can be hooked up to a trunk release as well, but you need to get custom with that on our cars.

Disclaimer: This DIY involves working with electrical systems. If you hurt yourself, kill yourself, fry your car, catch it on fire, or ANYTHING of that nature due to following this "guide", that's your own fault. Neither TN nor myself can be held at fault for your own stupidity. Use common sense, people.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Turbo Snail

Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
may want to add that the best way to connect wiring to existing wiring is to use shrink tubing and solder for a good connection.

Nice write up though
#3 Old 10-21-2010, 06:09 PM
TN Post Wh*re

(Thread Starter)
^ yeah but someone competent enough to install this should already know that haha. Besides, butt connectors or even twist ties will work well enough.
#4 Old 10-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Turbo Snail

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Crash View Post
^ yeah but someone competent enough to install this should already know that haha. Besides, butt connectors or even twist ties will work well enough.
yeah butt connectors work good enough, but I still like to put a little solder in those too.. Guess I'm just anal about wiring. lol
#5 Old 10-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Freakin Scooters

Garage
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
I'm anal about wiring too, but anyone should know to solder/heatshrink those suckers. Also, the12volt.com is a good site to use. Adding this to the sticky.

Honda Scoots Galore

TOTALED: '03 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4L, '96 Camry LE 5S
#6 Old 10-21-2010, 08:16 PM
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the write up, I've been meaning to add this to my car, of course that was before I spun a rod bearing. Anyway, I like to Use T taps for this kind of wiring. It lets you easily connect and disconnect whatever you're adding without cutting factor wiring.

Last edited by 04yfz; 10-21-2010 at 08:56 PM.
#7 Old 10-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Where did you get your keyless kit?
#8 Old 10-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Freakin Scooters

Garage
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04yfz View Post
Thanks for the right up, I've been meaning to add this to my car, of course that was before I spun a rod bearing. Anyway, I like to Use T taps for this kind of wiring. It lets you easily connect and disconnect whatever you're adding without cutting factor wiring.
T taps, scotchlocks, butt splices.... the wiring junkies ENEMY. Do not want. If you MUST be lazy, use positaps.

Honda Scoots Galore

TOTALED: '03 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4L, '96 Camry LE 5S

Last edited by LynchburgCSI; 10-21-2010 at 09:20 PM.
#9 Old 10-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Turbo Snail

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgCSI View Post
T taps, scotchlocks, butt splices.... the wiring junkies ENEMY. DO not want. If you MUSTY be lazy, use positaps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQWYWuNbpog

hehehehehe
#10 Old 10-21-2010, 11:20 PM
TN Post Wh*re

(Thread Starter)
#11 Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 AM
New TN User

Hi, Im very Interested in doing this myself!
You are soo right about the Alarm System being Crazy the first time I tried doing it I was at work in the carpark on my break and the Alarm was going crazy.
People are comming up to me seeing a dodgey guy in work clothes lying under a driver side door with pliers and exposed wires, thinking what is this rat trying to do.

I have had trouble finding out which wires on my Keyless Entry Kit should go to which wires in the kick panel.
I love the idea of an easy splice and went out to Jaycar today and bought some.
Now I have tested my keyless entry kit and have managed to wire up the power and have found out which wires do what.

Are the wires that you used or to anyone else do you assume that the two wires I want to use would be one that supplys a 12v current when a button is pressed ie emulating a key being turned.

Anyhelp would be useful, thank you.

Also I assume that this write up is for a 3rd Gen Car and I also assume my 1996 Australian Camry meets that rule

Last edited by travd93; 01-31-2012 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Car Model
#12 Old 05-17-2013, 12:48 PM
New TN User

Question Unlock only works after I unlock the car!!

So here is my issue (which I didn't have when I installed this on my 01 impreza):

For my 96 Carmy, and now my colleague's 95 Camry, I installed keyless entry kit from two different suppliers. Anyway here is what happens. The lock button works fine. Always. The unlock, however, doesn't work very well. I get to my car in the morning and hit the unlock button and my tail light flashes (as I wired the 'signal' wire to it in the fuse box) but the doors don't unlock. I hit lock to make sure the key chain thing is working and not too far and the lights flash on my car and I hear the doors lock (even though they are already locked, you can still hear it). I hit unlock again and the lights flash but nothing on the doors!!!

That said...if i use my key to unlock and open the driver door THEN hit unlock on the chain, it works! And all the doors unlock. So I thought the signal must not be getting there. So, I close the door with the doors unlocked. Then I step back from the car and use the chain to hit lock. The doors lock! Good. NOW, I hit unlock on the chain and guess what? It works. They unlock.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
#13 Old 05-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I have a 99 Camry. What fuses (other than dome) are in the cabin fuse box and are on all the time?

I had a hell of a time finding a fuse in the engine bay that was only on when the car was on.

4.5 Gen XLE V6. Minor light mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)