My clutch makes noise when pedal is pressed down. - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
My clutch makes noise when pedal is pressed down.

Hey guys,

I have an Exedy Stage 1 Clutch Kit installed. It has been in since the begining of August.

Today when I went to start the car, (clutch pedal is pressed down to start the car) I hear a very loud metal to metal grinding sound. I release the clutch pedal and the sound goes away. The sound is related to rpm speed and is only present when the clutch pedal is pressed down.

Does anybody have any ideas ?

if the throw out bearing is bad, it apparently makes noise when the clutch pedal is not pressed and it does not make noise when the clutch pedal is pressed. Since my situation is opposite, would it be the transmission input shaft bearing or something else ?

Thanks a lot,
D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto.boi View Post
if the throw out bearing is bad, it apparently makes noise when the clutch pedal is not pressed and it does not make noise when the clutch pedal is pressed.
It should be the opposite of what you're saying. A bad release bearing makes noise when you press the pedal, that's when it has all the stress on it. The exception is a bad release bearing can make a slight noise that goes away when you press the clutch, but the bearing will get progressively worse and eventually make a racket when you press the clutch.
#3 Old 11-09-2010, 12:36 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
oh ok. so when a throw out bearing goes bad, then it makes noise when the clutch pedal is pressed down. see thats what i thought because when the clutch pedal is pressed down, the bearing has to press the fingers and release the clutch plate.

but on all the other forums that i've scanned, they say that the throw out (when its bad) makes noise when the clutch pedal is not pressed and goes away when the clutch pedal is pressed lol...

so does it seem likely that my throw out is going bad ? freakin just spent 400usd labor on the clutch job three months ago and now i have to spend another 300usd labor to get the throw out bearing changed.

-sigh-

thanks,
d
#4 Old 11-09-2010, 10:07 AM
TN Post Wh*re

iTrader Score: 13 reviews
TOB goes bad = metal grinding noise when you push the clutch pedal down. Mine is bad right now. But if you're not wanting to pay for it to be replaced/DIY, then just live with the noise. It won't hurt anything for now.

Might want to save up for it being fixed though.
#5 Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
The bad TOB in my old civic only made noise when the clutch pedal was out.
#6 Old 11-09-2010, 10:27 AM
TN Post Wh*re

That makes no sense...unless it was bad as in it was riding on the input shaft....

But the typical "bad" TOB makes noise because the bearings inside it go bad and when you step on the clutch pedal, it pushes the TOB against the PP and that's when the bad bearings start to turn. Therefore it makes noise. If my engine was still in, I'd take a video for you guys, but...
#7 Old 11-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Crash View Post
That makes no sense...unless it was bad as in it was riding on the input shaft....
I've seen this happen before. The clutch was not adjusted correctly, and the bearing was always spinning which wore it out and dried out the packing. But pressing the clutch would change the dynamic of the bearing and stop the noise. But the bearing eventually started to make a hell of a racket when the clutch was pressed.
#8 Old 11-09-2010, 10:39 AM
TN Post Wh*re

True...that's how my TOB went bad after only 300 miles...

I enlisted the help of a transmission shop to adjust it for me and that's what I get...
#9 Old 11-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
how long do throw out bearings usually last ? cause its only been three months and less than 10k miles. i never imagined that you need to replace the throw out bearing several times within a lifetime of a clutch......

my stock clutch used to be really high. after aamco changed out the clutch, it engaged really really low. does this sound like they had it adjusted wrong or do new clutches tipicallly engage real low ?

thanks,
d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)