92 Camry Won't Stay Running - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
92 Camry Won't Stay Running

So my car died the other day, and I got it towed to the mechanic and he said it needed all new plugs and wires and filters and whatnot because they were original. It has 232,000 miles on it. I didn't want to pay for the whole tune up so he just replaced the front three plugs and it ran for about a day. We figured out how to replace the rear bank plugs without too much difficulty, but the same problem occurs. It fires up but dies in a matter of seconds. If we manually open the throttle it'll stay but then smoke starts coming the engine block. Anything small we might have overlooked that wouldn't need major service like a cracked head gasket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2011, 09:53 AM
92 Camry 5S-FE

Smoke comes from the block?
#3 Old 02-28-2011, 09:58 AM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammyBiscuits View Post
So my car died the other day, and I got it towed to the mechanic and he said it needed all new plugs and wires and filters and whatnot because they were original. It has 232,000 miles on it. I didn't want to pay for the whole tune up so he just replaced the front three plugs and it ran for about a day. We figured out how to replace the rear bank plugs without too much difficulty, but the same problem occurs. It fires up but dies in a matter of seconds. If we manually open the throttle it'll stay but then smoke starts coming the engine block. Anything small we might have overlooked that wouldn't need major service like a cracked head gasket?
Just to be clear; the plug wires were also replaced, right?

Quote:
If we manually open the throttle it'll stay but then smoke starts coming the engine block.
Could be the IAC valve is gunked up and needs cleaning. Here's a link showing how to remove it and thoroughly clean it.

Not sure what you mean about the smoke - It's coming out of the tailpipe?... or up out of the engine block somewhere??? Please explain.

1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, now at 365k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 308k
2001 Yamaha FZ1, Ivan's jet kit, resprung, Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech cartridge emulators in forks, 49k
#4 Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Turbo Snail

Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
check these links out:

DIY : HELP 92-96 5sfe CAMRY WONT START
DIY: 5sfe Distributor Diagnosis

Could also be a stuck EGR or IACV. Crankshaft Position sensor (inside distributor), Faulty Pressure Regulator, Faulty Fuel pump wiring, etc..

What condition is your oil in when you pull the cap off? If its milky colored, that would indicate coolant leaking into your oil. To confirm coolant in your oil, you can do a leak-down check and see if you getting pressure from the cylinders into your coolant lines. You can also do a Hydrocarbon test to check for exhaust gases in the Coolant.

If you are billowing sweet smelling white smoke out the exhaust coolant is leaking into the cylinders some-how.
#5 Old 02-28-2011, 10:11 AM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

^Mister Perkins - He's got the V6 engine, so those DIYs, as excellent as they are, probably won't help him much.

1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, now at 365k miles
2001 Yamaha FZ1, Ivan's jet kit, resprung, Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech cartridge emulators in forks, 49k
#6 Old 02-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Turbo Snail

Garage
Didn't know he had a V6 ..... lol

Disregard those DIY's then
#7 Old 02-28-2011, 12:48 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Sorry I've been at work and I'm trying to use my phone here.

So, no the plug wires were not replaced. My buddy seemed to think that if the wires were bad it wouldn't even fire?

The smoke comes from up where the plenum is. Like between that and the firewall. Not the tailpipe exhaust. My buddy said that's where the head gasket is and it might be cracked leaking oil into the engine. There was also oil on 1 or 2 of the rear bank plugs we replaced.

I heard about the coolant thing, but the oil looked like oil.

The distributor cap was also replaced by the way.

Thanks a lot for the help guys
#8 Old 02-28-2011, 01:39 PM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

If they're the originals, DEFINITELY replace the plug wires. I'd be surprised if that doesn't fix it. In my experience they're good for about 120k before they start having problems. The recommended change interval for the plugs and wires is 100k miles.

The smoke from the back area is *probably* from the valve covers leaking. The oil likes to run down the backside of the block and drip onto the exhaust where it slowly burns and makes some smoke and stinks. It's a very common problem.

I'm guessing the high amount of misfiring is sending a lot of unburnt fuel down the exhaust where it's getting burned by the cat. Then that generates a lot more heat than normal and it's making the leaking oil burn more quickly. Hence the smoke.

Edit: I forgot to ask - when the disty cap was replaced, was the rotor also replaced? If not, and it's also the original, definitely replace the rotor too. It's cheap, like 5 or 6 bucks. Maybe $10 if you go OEM Toyota.

Last edited by BMR; 02-28-2011 at 01:55 PM.
#9 Old 02-28-2011, 05:30 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
BMR, the distributor rotor was also replaced when the cap was.

So I just replaced all six plug wires and its still the exact same outcome. Any other ideas?
#10 Old 02-28-2011, 07:55 PM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Dang!... Sorry to hear that. Then I'd go back to the IAC & the other things Mister Perkins mentioned:
Quote:
Could also be a stuck EGR or IACV. Crankshaft Position sensor (inside distributor), Faulty Pressure Regulator, Faulty Fuel pump wiring, etc..
So it won't idle, but when it's given some throttle to keep it running, is it running smoothly?... or is there a lot of misfiring going on?

I haven't had any experience or troubles with the things Perkins mentioned, so can't help you there. Sorry.

#11 Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Turbo Snail

Garage
Could be a faulty MAF since its V6. I've seen that happen before. Get some electrical safe cleaner and spray the electrical contacts out and try to start it. If the MAF isn't reading correctly it will shut the car right down. What your experiencing, being able to keep the car running with the throttle applied is very typical of a Massive vacuum leak or a faulty MAF sensor. I'de check / clean the simple things first. Pull the EGR and clean it .. make sure it opens and closes by putting a flat screw driver against the Diaphram and push it up towards the top. If it was stuck, you may hear some carbon drop inside the tube. Blow air through the tube and vacuum ports and make sure it has a clear passage too

clean the EGR and the MAF and check back.. Dont spray CARB cleaner or Starting fluid into the MAF. You will ruin it and its pretty pricey. only use Electrical Safe Cleaner

Last edited by Perkins; 02-28-2011 at 08:09 PM.
#12 Old 03-01-2011, 04:35 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR View Post
So it won't idle, but when it's given some throttle to keep it running, is it running smoothly?... or is there a lot of misfiring going on?
There is some misfiring when I open the throttle up. I replaced the PCV valve as well and it ran a bit better but still died. When I checked the MAF sensor I found oil in the intake tube that runs from the air box to the throttle body. I think this car just wants to die.

I'm going to look at the IAC to see what condition that is in.
#13 Old 03-01-2011, 06:54 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Took out the IAC valve and cleaned it. Now the problem is worse. It dies faster than before.
#14 Old 03-02-2011, 01:39 AM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

When I cleaned my IAC, at first it wouldn't start or idle at all without giving it some throttle. It has to be restarted a half dozen times before the system "relearned" itself. Did you try starting it a bunch of times?

#15 Old 03-02-2011, 09:28 AM
抵抗は無駄です

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
reset the ECU e.g. by pulling out 15A blue fuse marked "EFI" from Main fuse box under hood on driver side, for 2 minutes, it won't reset the clock or radio.
and let it re-learn "new" IAC functionality.

'02 Solara SLE V6 1MZ-FE/A541E@ 142k
'00 Solara SE 5S-FE/A140E @ 92k

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
items For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)