lateral control arm replacement or just bushing - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 04-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
If you are talking about the bolt portion of this job, 1 yes you will need a new one and two you will have to pound the s__t out of it to get it out if its rusted badly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 04-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I cut the arm, bushing with a dremel. Put the new one on. Now the other side needs chaning so going to have to order a new one. The two front one needs changing also. But thats too much work for the front. Too much rust and I think if I was to attempt to do the lower front, I would snap a bolt and spend more money.

I am just going to fix the other lateral arm. I think I'm at a point to where it's old and rusted and it puting money into it is not a wise choose. I am not bothering changing the rear strut either, roads here are just shity and if I did it would do it no good unless we are talking expensive strut. So I am giving up and when it rust to hell and cost more than another lateral arm, I am driving as is until it dies.
#18 Old 04-01-2011, 07:15 PM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Thanked 1,000 Times in 888 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Yeah, unfortunately, sometimes if they're really rusty and have too much that needs fixing, that's the right thing to do, financially.

1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, now at 367k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 309k
2001 Yamaha FZ1, Ivan's jet kit, resprung, Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech cartridge emulators in forks, 49k
#19 Old 04-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Yesterday I ended up changing my front rear lateral, the other rear lateral arm, rear brakes and rotor (I change the front NOV with new calipers, rotors, and brakes). It was a bitch changing it. The two front lateral arm bushing by the brakes was a bitch to get out. Had to cut the arm, torch the housing for the bolts 5-10 each, pound the shit out of them to get off. The rear lateral bushing had to be cut off with a dermel. New bolts from toyota and nut was put on.

Over all the ride is now perfect, no squeak, no play, need alignment, and new rear strut. Other wise it was worth it, didn't break any bolt holding the subframe (two bolts in the middle for the lateral arm) while dropping it.

I didn't want to invest money but after 5 days of thinking and no able to drive with lots of vibration, I decided I don't want a car loan anytime soon.

This summer new radiator and maybe new rear strut. My question asked myself is it nice to know the back will last another 15-16 years, but when are my front bushing going to go bad???
#20 Old 04-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Official TN Member

My passengers back rear lateral control arm arrived from Rock Auto just the other day. I've got a 4 oclock appointment for an oil change. We'll see about having it intalled then. The place also does good exhaust work so I'm going to see about them fabbing up a decent y-pipe for me as well.

I'm slowly correcting the ride of this old car. Hopefully this will tighten things up pretty good.

Roach
#21 Old 07-23-2011, 01:57 PM
New TN User

Bumping this thread up, just found out my Solara needs the same thing. The inner end of the front lateral control arms have a little play, and although I can't really feel it, it is pretty loud, reminds me of when the control arm bushings were completely gone in my old Civic.

The part I found online says it comes with bushings, but NO ball joint. Would replacing the outer ball joint be necessary or highly recommended, since it will be easy to access? It doesn't even look like there is a ball joint, just two straight through bushings.
http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/to...ings+Page%3A13
#22 Old 07-23-2011, 04:06 PM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

The link you posted is for a rear control arm. The fronts look like this. It doesn't come with a ball joint. With some cars, they do because they're riveted in. The ball joints on our Toyotas bolt in on the end with the 3 holes in it. No terribly hard to do, so to me, it one of those "while you're in there" kinda things to replace.

1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, now at 367k miles
2001 Yamaha FZ1, Ivan's jet kit, resprung, Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech cartridge emulators in forks, 49k
#23 Old 07-23-2011, 05:49 PM
New TN User

I don't know if there is a discrepancy in part names, but the part I posted was what the mechanic showed me. He called it a lateral arm. I can't fricking stand when part names are inconsistent. I will probably order them from a brick and mortar store, I don't feel like dealing with a wrong part thru the mail
#24 Old 07-23-2011, 08:01 PM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Yeah, you're correct, those are more properly called lateral arms.

Just realized something; you said the front lateral arms - meaning the front arm of the pair in the rear? In that case, the part link you posted is correct, that's the front arm of the rear pair. The rear-most lateral arm looks similar, but has a turnbuckle in it for adjusting toe in/out. Clear as mud?... LOL!

As to that link saying the arms don't come with ball joints, that's just ignorant. There are no ball joints back there! That's what threw me!

#25 Old 07-24-2011, 04:15 PM
New TN User

Yeah the front one(s) are bad. I even went to a toyota parts dealer and their blow up diagrams don't even have a "lateral arm" or anything that looks like it I hate those things, they almost never have names that are what the majority of people actually call them.
#26 Old 08-29-2012, 12:07 PM
New TN User

Hey guys, anyone know the email/contact address to pmx007PL? I tried to PM him, but nothing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)