Gas cap hard to remove - why? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)

3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View henryat1140's Photo Gallery
Gas cap hard to remove - why?

For about six months the fuel cap on our 2000 Camry 4 cyl has been getting harder and harder to remove.

Is it a possibility there is vacuum holding it tight to the filler tube?

I've replaced the cap with a Genuine OEM Toyota cap. Gently cleaned the sealing surface at the end of the filler pipe to make sure there is no crud or rust there. The end of the filler pipe is clean and shiny. I have also used a little lubricant sparingly on the o ring on the cap to make it easier to put on and remove. (used lube safe for rubber)

My wife is afraid she will get to a point where she cannot get it loose to refuel the car. A secondary problem is because she is afraid of tightening the cap too tight it gets a CEL indication. That usually goes away after I tighten the cap.

Yet the fuel cap is still very stubborn to unloosen which brings me to my question: could there _possibly_ be a vacuum in the filler pipe which is causing this? I don't hear a giant 'whoosh' when you remove the cap, but am at a loss as to why it would be so hard to get loose.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Henry

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
mixed bag 'o vehicles

Gameroom cash: $159895
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View ghettosled's Photo Gallery
but its not tough to screw it into place? if its a new cap, the check valve should be functioning as it should. i believe if you shake the cap, you should hear it ratting around.

have you replaced the filler neck recently? when i replaced mine, the cap was very tight to screw down on the new neck.

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)