1mzfe power steering belt install - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-24-2011, 11:48 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
1mzfe power steering belt install

Hello. I am trying to finish up a timing belt change, but for the life of me CANT get the power steering belt on. I have a 96 1mz-fe.

I have searched this forum through 6 pages of P/S threads, including this one

1MZ-FE Serpentine Belt Removal???

I could not get the PS pump to pivot when taking it off, and ultimately just backed off the crank pulley and it came off. Now, I cant get the belt to go on.

I have tried playing with this thing for nearly 2 hours prying on the top of it but its frozen and its not budging. Does anyone have tips or exactly where to pry to get max leverage so I can get the PS belt on?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Avy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Is the pivot bolt right under the timing cover loose?

'99 Avalon XLS-189K
'13 Camry Hybrid XLE-30K
'07 Avalon Touring-102K
'08 Hyundai Sonata-102K
'04 Nissan Quest-145K
'97 Ford F350 PSD 4X4-105K
#3 Old 04-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
I think you are prying the wrong spot. there are 2 bolts, 1 pivot on the top and 1 adjustment on the bottom. (very similar to how the alternator is mounted) once you loosen both bolts you should be able to tap the pump forward (to the front of the car) with a hammer if its still tight. installation is the opposite, using a pry bar to pull the pump back to tighten the belt, then securing the bolts.
#4 Old 04-24-2011, 07:56 PM
抵抗は無駄です

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
pivot bolt is the "hinge" for P/S pump. needs to be loosened.
adjustment bolt is actually the lock bolt here (kinda 2 in 1 when compared to alternator setup), because it slides in bracket and you use it for locking the pump move (then you tighten pivot bolt).

both bolts are 12mm IIRC and they take 32ft-lbs torque to sit tight per specs.

here is a reference picture:

this is how I tensioned the p/s belt on 5s-fe using a scissor jack
check post #92 in below thread for more info
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh....php?p=3518030

'02 Solara SLE V6 1MZ-FE/A541E@ 142k
'00 Solara SE 5S-FE/A140E @ 92k

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
items For Sale
The Following User Says Thank You to fenixus For This Useful Post:
Kienochan (07-14-2013)
#5 Old 04-25-2011, 03:12 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the help. I figured it out earlier today and took some pictures.

For those who are not the most mechanically inclined, I took shots for people in the future so they can know where to pry to tighten and loosen.

This is a shot of the belt with the pivot/adjusting bolt off. You could probably leave it on, but its easier to pry if you take it off.

This is a reference shot.

To take the belt OFF, you need to pry UPWARD here I have the arrow pointing. Its just under the little tab area of the PS pump, behind where the adjusting bolt is. Rest the pry bar on the outer cv axle and pry up hard so it will squeeze the power steering pump close to the engine enough so you can slip the belt off.

Lastly, to adjust the PS belt, you need to pry where I have it pointed here. You slip the pry bar under the rear bank of engine where that little nudge hangs down, this will push the PS belt further down, and this is also how you tighten the belt on the car.

It actually sucks, because you cant adjust PS belt while car is running [unless youre a major risk taker] so you have turn it off, pry down a little, turning steering wheel to lock out and see if squeels and back off/pry more.
The Following User Says Thank You to mooseboy84 For This Useful Post:
Kienochan (07-14-2013)
#6 Old 09-05-2011, 02:00 PM
抵抗は無駄です

No kidding. I am just now trying to change the ps belt and can't make the pump move. I loosened the adjustment bolt. I am unsure if I loosened the pivot bolt, is the one with funny shaped stud? Or this is just a mounting bolt fot the adjustment bracket?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
items For Sale
#7 Old 09-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Avy

Garage
Loosen the pivot bolt, its right under the timing cover.

'99 Avalon XLS-189K
'13 Camry Hybrid XLE-30K
'07 Avalon Touring-102K
'08 Hyundai Sonata-102K
'04 Nissan Quest-145K
#8 Old 09-05-2011, 02:14 PM
抵抗は無駄です

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmesfun View Post
Loosen the pivot bolt, its right under the timing cover.

You mean the small 10mm one which seems to be holding the cover? I loosened the one below it.

Can you circle it for me please don't want to loosen something I will regret. Need to finish the job asap, storm is coming.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...905_134825.jpg

items For Sale
#9 Old 09-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Avy

Garage
Remove the nut and bolt and take off the bracket. There is also the pivot bolt at the top of the pump. It might be tight access. Getting to it from the top is easiest for me.
Pivot Bolt:

'99 Avalon XLS-189K
'13 Camry Hybrid XLE-30K
'07 Avalon Touring-102K
'08 Hyundai Sonata-102K
'04 Nissan Quest-145K
#10 Old 09-05-2011, 02:30 PM
抵抗は無駄です

Got it to move. Was only stuck. It seems the pivot bolt is actually the funny shaped one at top of bracket on my car. I have no trouble accessing it from bottom (with a small 1/2'' swivel breaker bar).

items For Sale
#11 Old 09-05-2011, 04:27 PM
tef
Official TN Member

When I was trying to get my PS belt on, it was impossible. Yes both bolts were loose and pump was pushed all the way forward. What I ended up doing was putting the belt partially on the PS pulley and then (Make sure the battery is disconnected) turned the crankshaft. This pulled the belt on. This was the hardest thing to install when I replaced my timing belt. I must have spent 30 minutes or more trying to get it on.
#12 Old 09-05-2011, 05:39 PM
抵抗は無駄です

I had exact same problem after I slipped the old belt off (pump loosened). I struggled with new belt for good 10 minutes, until I noticed that the wide flange of adjustment bolt is getting locked against the pivot bolt (lightly loosened).

All I needed to do was to loosen the pivot bolt more, so the adjustment bolt's flange could go under it, that gave me enough extra movement on pump to slide the new belt on.

here's a pic:

Though I had a real hard time with tensioning that belt... much harder to do than on 5s-fe, namely no good access for my make-shift pry bar (my 2t jack's handle) ... took me a while to bring to near 100lbs after initial belt run (10 minutes), probably still a tad too loose, but I don't care, maybe I will retension it better in future if I get a pry bar.

I have to say that I didn't quite like the idea of prying against the passenger axle, not at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tef View Post
When I was trying to get my PS belt on, it was impossible. Yes both bolts were loose and pump was pushed all the way forward. What I ended up doing was putting the belt partially on the PS pulley and then (Make sure the battery is disconnected) turned the crankshaft. This pulled the belt on. This was the hardest thing to install when I replaced my timing belt. I must have spent 30 minutes or more trying to get it on.

items For Sale
#13 Old 09-05-2011, 06:48 PM
tef
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixus View Post
I had exact same problem after I slipped the old belt off (pump loosened). I struggled with new belt for good 10 minutes, until I noticed that the wide flange of adjustment bolt is getting locked against the pivot bolt (lightly loosened).

All I needed to do was to loosen the pivot bolt more, so the adjustment bolt's flange could go under it, that gave me enough extra movement on pump to slide the new belt on.
Great tip. I'll check out next time.
#14 Old 09-05-2011, 09:10 PM
2001 Camry XLE 1MZ-FE

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tef View Post
+1 to that method. That's how I did it, kinda. Rather than turn the crank, I just put a socket on the power steering pulley nut, got the belt on as far as I could, and then turned the power steering pulley until the belt slipped on. With the adjustment at the loosest, it goes on with very little effort. Once on, I used a bar to tension the belt, just as you did.

For whatever reason Toyota decided to engineer the swing travel too short to allow for easy installation of the belt. No matter what you do, you can't get it loose enough to slip the belt on.

I guess you could try something like this.

2000 Camry LE 6-cyl, 77,000 - 230,000, traded it for a
2001 Camry XLE, 6-cyl, 87,000 - 112,000 and counting.
#15 Old 12-11-2011, 07:46 AM
セクシーの定義

I just recently changed my power steering belt due to my own negligence.

I didn't have too much trouble, didn't even have to undo the pivot bolt. My method involved using a big screwdriver and wedging/prying against the big washer and adjusting bracket. Worked enough for me to slip the new belt on.

Was wondering, is the pivot bolt visible in any of 'fenixus' pictures? Makes sense that i couldn't find it seeing as I had to take the timing belt covers off.

Camry history:

1990 Camry CS 5spd - Now scrap metal
1994 Camry Executive A/T - Burnt to a crisp.
1995 Camry Vienta Csi A/T - Still running
1999 Camry Touring 5 spd - Current
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimnist For This Useful Post:
amanc96 (11-08-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)