2000 Camry fuel gauge not working properly - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-06-2011, 10:35 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2000 Camry fuel gauge not working properly

Hi, I own a 2000 Toyota Camry and the fuel gauge is not working properly, I notice it about a week ago with $10 it was getting close to 1/4 tank level and then even with $15 as same price as before it move only to approx. 1/8 of a tank and soon after driving some for a while it goes to emty mark (lighted orange dot) and to the "E". There is not leaks but i found out the ruber hose that goes from the air firter to the engine was crack at the engine point, I try to fix it with alluminum tape but it got loose after a while due to the heat. Can somebody give some advice about which the gauge is doing this and how to fix it.

Thank you very much,

tge2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2011, 11:25 AM
mixed bag 'o vehicles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
wait, huh? gas gauges are just approximate, especially when they get below 1/4 of a tank. stop on a hill and you will get a different level reading. it's difficult to notice an exact change when only a couple of gallons are added. fill it up completely and track the miles driven. do this several times and then see if the gauge drops at about the same rate each time.

#3 Old 07-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Ninja wrench anywhere

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Expanding on what ghettosled said, the fuel gauge isn't even close to linear -- once you get to 1/4 tank, the gauge will drop like a rock (on my '95, on a tank that's good for 350+ miles from full to "light on", I've got at most 50 miles left once I hit the 1/4 mark.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)