solara v6 se rear bearing replacement - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
solara v6 se rear bearing replacement

i want to replace both sides rear bearings on my 99 solara v6, 170k miles.
and i bought something similar to this $120 for both, oem from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...Q5fAccessories

anyone done it before, is it an easy DIY?
i am looking at the replacement part, look like only 4 bolts to the spindle bracket.
do i need an alignment afterward?
because mine is a manual transmission, i have a bad habit of pulling the hand brake, i will make sure i will remember to release the parking brake before removing the rear rotor.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vaio338168/avator.jpg
2002 2AZ-FE, LE Phantom Grey Pearl, Retrofitted with LS430 Projectors on SE Headlights. Aftermarket Foglight

Last edited by bronzemaxell; 07-13-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2011, 01:56 PM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
It's very easy. Here's a DIY thread I did a while back on my '92 Camry. My '96 Avy is exactly the same. I see the parts you bought on eBay are compatible with both of my cars, so I'm almost certain the DIY is the same too.

I'd say no, alignment's not req'd afterwards.

1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, now at 365k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 306k
2001 Yamaha FZ1, Ivan's jet kit, resprung, Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech cartridge emulators in forks, 49k

Last edited by BMR; 07-13-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: alignment answer
#3 Old 07-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR View Post
It's very easy. Here's a DIY thread I did a while back on my '92 Camry. My '96 Avy is exactly the same. I see the parts you bought on eBay are compatible with both of my cars, so I'm almost certain the DIY is the same too.

I'd say no, alignment's not req'd afterwards.

thank you for the great DIY link, look pretty straight forward
what i bought is OEM Toyota Part #: 42450-07010, new from ebay didn't mention about come with bolt and grease o-ring, i hope those parts are re-usable.
it just said applicable for 1999 Toyota Solara Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly Position: Rear
Brake abs: 4-Wheel ABS

would you know if the old hub/bearing can be rebuilt by pressing it out and replace with new bearing? i have 4 or 5 car look like sharing the same hub/bearing, and i am thinking keeping the old part as spare.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vaio338168/avator.jpg
2002 2AZ-FE, LE Phantom Grey Pearl, Retrofitted with LS430 Projectors on SE Headlights. Aftermarket Foglight
#4 Old 07-13-2011, 05:03 PM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I've seen the o-ring on rockauto.com for $1.70 ea. Look for Beck/Arnley p/n 0523777. Chances are pretty good yours are OK to reuse. Mine all were.

Yeah, just the bearing can be replaced. I've seen where *just* the bearing can be purchased. But unless you have your own hydraulic press or access to one for free, it's about the same money to just buy the whole cartridge as it is to pay someone to press it apart/together again.

It's probably hard to press 'em out and have them be re-usable. Gotta do it without applying the pressing force in a way it gets transmitted thru the balls/races. Applying several *tons* of pressing force thru the balls tends to dent the balls & races. They don't last long after that.

1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, now at 365k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 306k
2001 Yamaha FZ1, Ivan's jet kit, resprung, Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech cartridge emulators in forks, 49k
#5 Old 07-13-2011, 05:44 PM
2001 Camry XLE 1MZ-FE

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzemaxell View Post
would you know if the old hub/bearing can be rebuilt by pressing it out and replace with new bearing? i have 4 or 5 car look like sharing the same hub/bearing, and i am thinking keeping the old part as spare.

It can be done, but it's a PITA. Here's a DIY I did on rear brakes, but if you scroll down about half way, you will see where I went through the exercise of removing the rear wheel bearing from the hub.

But as BMR said, and I agree, it's much easier just to get the whole unit, bearing, hub and as an added extra, you get new wheel studs.

One thing I found curious as I removed the rear wheel bearing. The whole assembly is held on by 4 bolts, and yet the wheel is held on by 5 lug nuts. Seems to me they could have just got by with 4 lug nuts and studs saving a bit of money in the process. But what do I know.

DIY - 2000 Camry LE, Rear rotors, pads, shoes, caliper re-build, many pics. Part 1

2000 Camry LE 6-cyl, 77,000 - 230,000, traded it for a
2001 Camry XLE, 6-cyl, 87,000 - 112,000 and counting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)