Motor oil from Dollar General's at 2.50 per quart? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)

3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $222000
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View capnblinski's Photo Gallery
Motor oil from Dollar General's at 2.50 per quart?

Motor oil from Dollar General's at 2.50 per quart. After this last oil change and 15k miles, the car used a half quart. That change last spring was with one of the major brands. There is a some oil leakage on the upper back side of the engine below the injectorsa bitch to get ur hand in there to clean out the what is basically road grime mixed with the seepage up there on the back of the head area. Not too bad though for a camry at 170k.

So I decided to buy the DG oil and topped it off with their 5W30. And apparently,that's what brand is going in for the fall oil change. lol

But boy, that brand new Pennzoil stuff sure looked good—at 4.50 a quart!

Last edited by capnblinski; 07-18-2011 at 09:54 PM.
capnblinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Default User Title

Gameroom cash: $407185
View bdy0003's Photo Gallery
Engine? Sounds like you might need to replace your valve cover gasket. Also for the dirt and grime, can you just saturate it with brake cleaner?
Old 07-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
イリジウム

Gameroom cash: $960430
Supreme Member
View JohnGD's Photo Gallery
You mean the Pennzoil regular at $4.50? Because if it's the Penn Platinum GF-5/SN then it's a great deal.

I don't know how much the Walmart SuperTech dino is these days, most likely under $3 but not sure if close to $2.5. In some regions it's by Warren Unilube but in others by Shell/Pennzoil.
JohnGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View WaxonWaxStillOn's Photo Gallery
I've had a hefty leak in the same area but changing the valve cover gasket only fixed part of it. Hopefully a new distributor o-ring seal will make a difference, but I won't find out for another weak or so when I can do it.
WaxonWaxStillOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View djb2's Photo Gallery
What's the rating on that oil?

I've seen dollar store oil with a 'SA' rating. That's really unrated oil, not suitable for any car. It has an unknown additive pack, ranging from none to whatever additives were left in the used oil that was filtered.

The only time you should use this oil is if the alternative is running the engine without any oil.
djb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Engine? Sounds like you might need to replace your valve cover gasket.
Yeah - that's what I thought.. that repair is on the to-do list now. Also I've been planning on using this can of Gunk engine cleaner that's been laying around to get rid of the grime..

Quote:
You mean the Pennzoil regular at $4.50?
The basic Pennzoil grade. The Supertech may be a better choice for the next oil/filter change. I use the Toyota brand filters.

Quote:
What's the rating on that oil?
Have not looked at the specs but plan to next time i'm in dg - that's where i got the pb blaster and seafoam liquid. The two oil changes i've done so far were used oil strained through cheesecloth from cars that were being recycled. Have gone about 4500 miles on that so far. Ya, using oil like the DG brand is iffy, especially for a full change with filter. The ratings, I call them circles, on the back or lack of them would determine my decision - 10% for DG brand 5W-30 and 90% towards the Pennzoil. Gonna try the seafoam - intrigued by the stuff and what I've read.. and seen lol.

5sfe
170xxx

Last edited by capnblinski; 07-17-2011 at 08:37 PM.
capnblinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
イリジウム

Gameroom cash: $960430
Supreme Member
View JohnGD's Photo Gallery
If the Penn dino yellow bottle is $4.5/qt then I'd rather use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend at $3.88/qt from Walmart. It's rated GF-5/SN for a while now but prices seem to be inching up.

Purolator PureOne PL14477 is a good OEM alternative. However, Motorcraft FL910S and FL400S are oversized alternatives for those who are willing to use them.

And if you catch O'Reilly's Mobil-1 sale for $4.99/qt then go for them and stock up a year's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnblinski View Post
The basic Pennzoil grade. The Supertech may be a better choice for the next oil/filter change. I use the Toyota brand fillters.
JohnGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
And if you catch O'Reilly's Mobil-1 sale for $4.99/qt then go for them and stock up a year's worth.

Absolutely - and no hesitations about running that stuff through the engine!

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)