instructions on how to replace the AC expansion valve and/or evaporator - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)

3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
mixed bag 'o vehicles

Gameroom cash: $157695
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View ghettosled's Photo Gallery
instructions on how to replace the AC expansion valve and/or evaporator

i finally got through this job last night so i tool photos as i put it back together as a how-to since i couldnt find decent instructions or photos, i wanted to at least offer some insight in how to accomplish replacing the expansion valve or evaporator.

the impetus for me was a leak in the AC system o-rings at the condenser so i decided to replace the expansion valve while the system was empty and since they seem to be a weak point.

okay, lets see if my memory serves.

first step is disconnect the battery.

then remove the black cover under the passenger side of the dash. it pulls down from the front and is held in by clips that snap out. it can then be pulled forward to be removed. then the trim under the glove box is removed. i believe there are 2 black screws and the rest is just snapped in place.

the glove box door can now be removed by taking out the 3 nuts at the bottom.

now remove the glove box liner. there are three screw circled at the top, but there is also one or two screws at the bottom (not circled) that need to be removed.

also pop out the connection for the airbag by prying up the front edge then it should pop out. slip it though the hole as you remove the liner and disconnect the light.

remove the plastic floor vent duct on the left. it just pulls off and the plastic clips will release.

there is some velcro on the bottom of this duct to help hold the carpet in place.

next disconnect the 3 wire connections at the bottom of the blower assembly, then remove the white bracket.

remove the vent for the passenger side vent. the center section unsnaps and slides to the left, then can be rotated down and pulled off. the vent remaining on the left can also be pulled off.

next the airbag needs to be removed to access a bolt for the blower unit. it doesnt HAVE to be removed, but it would be quite difficult to access this bolt. to remove the airbag there are 6 bolts holding it in place. first disconnect the wiring by rotating the white plastic retaining bracket down the press the release button and pull apart.

once these six bolts are removed, there are two clips in the top that will release when the airbag is pulled forward, or better yet, pushed from the backside out.

now it's time to tackle the blower assembly. it helps to remove the weight of the blower motor. disconnect the wire running to it and remove the 3 screws holding it in place. here is a view from the bottom showing the wire connection and the screw locations.

the blower motor will then drop out. now remove the case/housing it's located in. here are two reference photos of what this looks like removed.

there is one nut the three bolts holding this in place. the nut is on the firewall, one bolt is near that directly above a cooling line

another bolt is by the cover for the evaporator

and the last bolt is the difficult one to reach behind the airbag

now disconnect the blue wire/cord on the right side. the end slides off the lever and then pull the cord out from the clip.

even though everything is now disconnected, it needs to be pulled down. everything around it including old foam seals help to suspend the housing in place. there is also a white plastic wire clip on the top that can be popped off.

once that is removed, pull down the carpet and now there is clear access to the evaporator cover. here is a photo of it removed to show the bolt locations.

do take note that one bolt is also holding a probe in place that will certainly need to be re-inserted later.

assuming the AC system has already been purged, disconnect the cooling lines under the hood going through the firewall.

i broke them loose form above, but had better access to unscrew and remove them from underneath.

form inside, pull the cooling line connection out from the firewall slightly and slide them and the evaporator out.

you now have removed the evaporator and expansion valve. you can separate these by taking out the two allen bolts.

installation is pretty much the reverse.

so, i hope i didnt skip any steps but this should give a better understanding on what is involved with removing and replacing the evaporator and/or expansion valve.

Last edited by ghettosled; 07-24-2011 at 03:07 PM.
ghettosled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ghettosled For This Useful Post:
71Corolla (08-23-2011), ajkalian (07-27-2011), houra (07-29-2011), ItsALLinTHEdetails (07-22-2013), wheels4hope (03-28-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Died around age 230, XXX

View 96ToyoCam164K's Photo Gallery
That would have saved me paying people 2 times to replace my evaporator...

96ToyoCam164K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
mixed bag 'o vehicles

had the system vacuumed and filled. works perfect and blows at about 43 degrees... but there is a leak. apparently the front line that runs from the dryer to the evaporator under the radiator, rust weakened and made the tube brittle where is clamps and it fractured at some point when i was working on it.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $164000
View SilverSoarer's Photo Gallery
Do you mean the line from the condensor (in front of the radiator) to the dryer ?
SilverSoarer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 06:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
mixed bag 'o vehicles

no, the other line from the dryer. it runs from the dryer to the passenger side frame rail.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
TN Pussy Man

Gameroom cash: $475260
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
View Eye8Pussies's Photo Gallery
^ yah, the line that runs under the front subframe very commonly fails on our cars due to rust - seems to mainly be because of the the two steel clamps that hold it to the frame though, since the line itself is aluminum

and added to sticky- great job and great help!

"Life is a deep sleep, of which love is the dream..."
Ripped...and the girls are loving it.
Eye8Pussies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
mixed bag 'o vehicles

is this a dealer only part? local stores dont have it, nor rockauto. im a little leery to spend the time sifting through local salvage yards thinking they will be rusty too. well, i do have to go there next week to fix a friend's car, so maybe i will give it a whirl.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
TN Pussy Man

Gameroom cash: $475260
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
View Eye8Pussies's Photo Gallery
yeah, it's pretty much a dealer part only.

personally though, I had good luck finding one at the junkyard that was in good shape, and so has a number of other gen3 owners, so def worth a try!

"Life is a deep sleep, of which love is the dream..."
Ripped...and the girls are loving it.
Eye8Pussies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View c.d.mc's Photo Gallery
USA

Great instructions and illustrations!

One point I want to be clear about is, is it necessary to remove the airbag if all I want to do is access the blower assembly?

The blower makes a rattling noise that sounds like the bearings are shot or something has gotten inside and is contacting the fan blades. It also smells like a dead rodent is in there.

Your instructions indicated the only reason to remove the airbag was to be able to remove a screw/bolt that you had to remove after removing the blower housing.
c.d.mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
mixed bag 'o vehicles

no, you dont have to remove the airbag to remove the blower motor. the airbag only blocks the blower motor housing if you want to remove the complete assembly. the motor itself can be accessed from the bottom and can be easily removed.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
RIBMIESTER

Gameroom cash: $226101
View JimBowNut's Photo Gallery
You can clean the evaporator w coil cleaner and get rid of your dead rodent.......Mine was 1/3 blocked w "Sail-Rodent". :|,

A BLAST FROM MY PAST... MAN, THE FUN WE HAD !
JimBowNut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

View sherpamike's Photo Gallery
Great write up!! I am just finishing my expansion valve replacement now. The one thing I would add is that you can remove the evaporator core/expansion valve assembly entirely from inside the car (internally there are 10 mm bolts connected to the aluminum coupler that sits in the firewall. Remove these bolts to pull the "cooling lines" away from the firewall and remove the evaporator assembly). No need to mess around with the fittings on the engine side of the fire wall. This would have saved me lots of time and frustration to figure out before hand.

Again, awesome job with this writeup... it's a huge help!
sherpamike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherpamike For This Useful Post:
bustedstuff104 (07-14-2012), ItsALLinTHEdetails (07-22-2013)
Old 03-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
mixed bag 'o vehicles

can you post a photo (or use one from above) to show which 10mm bolts you are referring to? it's been a number of months since i did this and i'm not quite clear on the bolts you are referring to. i will amend the instructions to reflect this. thanks for additional info!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
SMR
New TN User

View SMR's Photo Gallery
USA Youtube video showing procedure for expansion valve replacement

I think I will need to do this for my car as well. By the way, there is a Youtube video with the pro mechanic Scotty Kilmer showing how to do it !

SMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
RIBMIESTER

Gameroom cash: $226101
View JimBowNut's Photo Gallery
That's a pretty good video !.

I found another item to clean Evap.......Toy#00289-ACRKT...About $20.00 at dealer.

It's a Power Foam Evap Cleaner Kit.....Just plug into evap drain tube and shoot her in !,

then repeat a couple times....it'll drain out and then just put in refresher that comes with the kit....

j

A BLAST FROM MY PAST... MAN, THE FUN WE HAD !
JimBowNut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)