How to increase low end torque? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)

3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Micky Blue

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Mickyblue's Photo Gallery
3rd Generation How to increase low end torque?

My 96 camry (5sfe) has 235k miles on it. Im doing all i can to get as much out of it as possible. So i have ngk iridium plugs and wires, synthetic blend valvoline oil, spectre air filter, even a little cheap chip that actually worked. But i like lugging the car around instead of revving it up, so what are some things I can do to help with low end torque? Thanks
Mickyblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View Noblunts's Photo Gallery
5SFE is slow and has no torque. The car struggles when the A/C is on.

At 235k anything you do to increase torque/power will probably destroy your engine/trans.

What kind of "chip"? You may have been ripped and jacking up your car right now.
Noblunts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $168100
View oopssorryy's Photo Gallery
quad post.....

I don't know, you could try to get a bigger throttle body, or if you rebuild the motor you could got 5S-FTE. As 4cly-thriler or some one has a 5S-FTE, but I can't remember his name....
Old 07-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
96 3MZ M/T

Gameroom cash: $304130
View chronoti's Photo Gallery
chip is placebo, tune up, fine the celica/mr2 headers (custom exhause tho) and really anything for the celica/mr2

webcams makes custom cams that can increase it also i guess celica/mr2 cams will work as well. remember for the cams it has to stay as 5s, 3s cams will not change over

chronoti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
96 3MZ M/T

Gameroom cash: $304130
View chronoti's Photo Gallery
chip is placebo, tune up, fine the celica/mr2 headers (custom exhause tho) and really anything for the celica/mr2

webcams makes custom cams that can increase it also i guess celica/mr2 cams will work as well. remember for the cams it has to stay as 5s, 3s cams will not change over

chronoti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2011, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Micky Blue

Its the ultimate performance tuning chip, 26$. You might call it a scam but it was installed CORRECTLY. Ive had my mechanic and my dad who drives other camrys including mine before and after tell me it made a huge difference. Since the upgrade i no longer run premium or plus fuel anymore, it has more power between 2500-5000k rpms than ever before. But im wondering since i pretty much did every other bolt on thing i can do to it. What exhaust upgrades can i do thatll help torque without me sounding or looking like a rice rocket?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Micky Blue

Noblunts, i was mocking those chips too until a friend of mine installed it on his cobalt and i never seen his rpms move so fast before. But the thing you gotta know about them is the people who installed them and had problems or didnt get any power gains from them all did the same thing, They just plugged it in. You are supposed to unplug the battery, then hit every light, brake light, whatever juice is left in its memory out of it, then install it, and leave it unplugged for atleast 4 hours. its better if its over night for the new settings to take place.

The engine actually idles smoother. So basically people who installed them without doing those procedures never gave the chips settings any chance to change them or improve them. You can mock me but it worked, i wont say all those cheap chips work but i know this particular one did. Just gotta follow instructions and install it correctly.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Micky Blue

Now for the headers, ive bought celica gt headers before in the past (only to find out it curves to the left right into my engine mount) so i couldnt install them, i ended up giving them to my friend with a celica. Are MR2 headers any different or are they the same? Because the parts prices on them are night and day cheaper compared to the camry parts prices
Old 08-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Domesticon Prime

Gameroom cash: $424900
Supreme Member
Garage
View Silent Runner's Photo Gallery
Honestly? A 2.2L, 4cyl engine is simply not capable of making big low end torque without a supercharger, or turbocharger. Car manufacturers have developed variable valve timing and lift systems on them, given them huge intake runners, tuned exhaust systems, direct fuel injection systems, and invested absolutely every dime they can to make them feel gutzy without out reving the wee out of them in N/A form, but it simply is not possible. In particular when your driving a relatively heavy car with it. This type and size of engine can make great N/A power numbers with work, but they absolutely must rev, high to do it. Its simple physics, the amount of air and fuel you can put into an engine and burn properly at any rpm.

Sorry dude, but what you want is BOOST!

93' LE V-6, Leather Interior, Rmt. Locking, Avalon Inter. Lighting, Depo Clears with HID proj., 2001 JBL Sound, Whiteline RSB, FSB, Twin piston front calipers, ES300 rear discs, Phantom Supercharged!
Silent Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 02:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
T100 Road Warrior...

Gameroom cash: $1392710
Thanked 2,112 Times in 1,716 Posts
View BamZipPow's Photo Gallery
Jet
Assisted
Take
Off!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View Noblunts's Photo Gallery
I think the TN server has its A/C on sometimes.

The chip makes your car run rich, that is all. You don't need more than 87 octane, BTW. You're just throwing the cash out. The real engine mods listed above might actually work but you're polishing a turd.

There is no good bolt on stuff for this car, I looked all over the forum. Everything requires major engine mods. Granted its a toy engine, but still. My car only has 142k and I'm not willing to do it.

You could turbo it, spend 2k and hours of work and get 3 pulls out of the trans and your done. I've driven and rode in some fast cars with 350+ HP and this ain't it. Thing is... those fast cars are like 9mpg and your camry keeps your wallet stocked... mine will once I fix everything that's falling apart.
Noblunts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
TN's Mad Chemist

Gameroom cash: $614851
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 20 reviews
View projektvertx's Photo Gallery
If you are going to go the boosted route on the 5S auto, you are only making AS FAST as a V6 auto. Swap in a manual transmission, you can take on a V6 auto. Ask Chris Crash about this. Only with a manual trans would I think of boosting a 5S. Personally, I would start with the V6, swap a manual and boost it. So pretty much, buy a different Camry
projektvertx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to projektvertx For This Useful Post:
Chris Crash (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $168100
View oopssorryy's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by projektvertx View Post
If you are going to go the boosted route on the 5S auto, you are only making AS FAST as a V6 auto. Swap in a manual transmission, you can take on a V6 auto. Ask Chris Crash about this. Only with a manual trans would I think of boosting a 5S. Personally, I would start with the V6, swap a manual and boost it. So pretty much, buy a different Camry
That's my plan with my Wagon!
Old 08-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
My other car is a Camry

Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View Tony the Tiger's Photo Gallery
Run a smaller tire (narrower and smaller overall diameter), and gut the car out completely. If you can take off 400-500 lbs, then your 5S-FE should move pretty good off the line.

............... The Camry gets groceries FAST ...............
Tony the Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 06:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $366150
Garage
View Tom 2000's Photo Gallery
Try to find some Mazda Millenia wheels. They will save 5 lbs per wheel and they fit. See thread.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh....php?p=3554695

Tony is right about the weight reduction and smaller tires. My dad had a '96 Camry DX (5S-FE) with a 5-speed. He also had a '93 MR2 (5S-FE) with a 5-speed, smaller diameter tires with lower gearing.

Same engines, but MR2 probably weighed about 300 lbs less. Difference was night and day.

2004 Prius Touring Edition x2
2000 Camry LE - Lunar Mist Metallic
Tom 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)