1999 Camry valve cover torque specs and procedure - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
1999 Camry valve cover torque specs and procedure

I had a leak on the corner of my valve cover for my 1999. I purchased a new gasket and replaced it. Within a few weeks I still see a "seepage" leak around the corner. I was told that the valve covers for this line of camry is tricky and there are things where owners use RTV only or RTV + the gasket. What's the best way and the proper torque?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Turbo Snail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
I put rtv silicone on the bottom of the cover, and push the gasket into the cover. Torquing, not sure on spec. Just torque it evenly. In a cross hatch way. Like cylindr 1, 4,2,3.

Make it fairly tight. U may just need to retorque them
#3 Old 11-15-2011, 10:44 PM
抵抗は無駄です

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
RTV is needed at all semi-circular bends and where different metals join (semi-circular plugs), I think there was a total of 8 spots where you put a dab of RTV. I usually use red heat-resistant RTV from Harbor Freight. never a problem.

replacing the rubber tube nut seals at same time is a good idea.

torque the 30mm nuts down in 3 phases of 7, 13 and finally 17ft-lbs and do it evenly each time starting with middle ones (2,3) and then outer ones (1,4).

make sure the nuts turn no more at steady final 17ft-lbs, then put wires together, start the car and drive it for 30 mins and re-torque the nuts to 17ft-lbs again.

'02 Solara SLE V6 1MZ-FE/A541E@ 142k
'00 Solara SE 5S-FE/A140E @ 92k

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
items For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001)