How much should re-aligning the front end cost? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)

3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $224315
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View retiredat44's Photo Gallery
Question How much should re-aligning the front end cost?

My daughter wrecked our 1993 Camry LE. 4cly with automatic.

The front end was bent, and the alignment shop found the unibody frame was bent about 1 "... all the bent parts except the frame was replaced...

whole hub, chock, tie rod, fender, bumper, etc..

by the frame, I mean the front area that runs long the top of the fender on the Left (driver) side buckled 1 ", it has a small wrinkle in the metal where the fender bolts to the drivers side..

the steering now pulls a little to the right and the steering wheel also is rotated to the right about an inch or two intead of stiffing straight ont he column.

How much should it cost if the camber is off an inch or so,, it's is very hard to see any alinment problems by eye, and hte tires ar wearing even...
should it cost more than $200.00 to striaghten the steering out.

I know that it would be very hard for anyone to make a guess by such little info,, I do have a computerized printout, the back of the car is straight, and the right (passenger) side is straight, the Left side had the fender pushed in and a bent tie rod before all the parts were replaced, unfortunately, the alignment got porked.. the car has been being driven daily since the car was fixed last year about 1 year ago.. but having it pull to the left sux....

Thanx, again..

oh, btw, the car is stock, all stock parts, no mods..

Last edited by retiredat44; 02-22-2012 at 06:05 AM.
retiredat44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
One with the force

Gameroom cash: $422950
View Stillrunning's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredat44 View Post
The front end was bent, and the alignment shop found the unibody frame was bent about 1 "... all the bent parts except the frame was replaced...

the steering now pulls a little to the right and the steering wheel also is rotated to the right about an inch or two intead of stiffing straight ont he column.
First who's paying, the other guy's insurance (if another car was involved) or your own or are you paying without insurance? If insurance is paying then part of what they should pay is the proper frame repair to this vehicle. If the frame (uni-body) is repairable then it should have been inspected and straightened on a laser alignment frame machine. It appears the body shop did not repair the frame properly.

If you don't get the frame properly aligned then you'll never get the 4 wheel alignment right and it'll plague you until you junk it.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $755555
View carsrus's Photo Gallery
Sounds like it needs to be put on a frame machine. 500$ minimum for most cases

If the tires are wearing evenly I would just live with it.
carsrus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

no insurance.. out of pocket, and it will be alignable without a frame machine,,, because it will be within spec to align.,, that's what the guy said who tested it the first time before a part was replaced (front left hub, the bottom bolt was bent).. he said if it is about an inch out it's doable..

I first took it to the frame shop last year, where he found the front to be about 1" out of alignment.. and need a new left, front drivers side hub.
and the frame part had a small wrinkle (you can't even see it unless some pro uses the tools to find it..).
he thinks spacers might be able to make any final adjustment if necessary..

I will know in a few hours later today when it's back on the rack..

I just wondered how much it might cost to align the front wheels now that the parts were replaced and it will be within an inch of camber.. before adjustment.

rear wheels were within spec and don't need work.

I think some of you guys imagination got carried away thinking it was a twisted mess.. front fended and front wheel got wacked... it wasn't death race 2,000 .... LOLOL

all tires are new...

Last edited by retiredat44; 02-24-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
One with the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredat44 View Post
the alignment shop found the unibody frame was bent about 1 "... all the bent parts except the frame was replaced...

...I think some of you guys imagination got carried away
Just going by what you said.

Alignments are about $70, which you'd find out by phoning. Not sure if they'll charge less for just front end.

If they're having to adjust alignment to compensate for bent frame then you may end up crab walking down the road and wearing tires.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Lightbulb

Last year he puit it on the machine for alignment and said it needed the left right hub replaced, which I did.. in great suffering..

He said the frame is good now, after all my work, after my daughter had it hit in the front right fender. but the lower bushing are causing the front end to move around, so it will not keep alignment untilt he bushing are replaced.

Ok, he looked, and found the lower control arm bushings need replaced, both sides, they are almost completely missing from wear. This is causing the alignment to be 1/2" out. Also, the boots on both axles need replaced. He can put new boots and repack the grease, and put new bushings in for a total of $560.00. Which is a very good price, $300.00 is the total for the labor out of the total price.

The wife must decide on when because she , as all women, control finances. Even though It's not all her money.

My daughter actually uses the car for school, and stopped working because of the demanding school study load on her.

I expext a large amount of money due, the Veterans administration has fought me over my miltary disability pension, so We might have to wait a little while longer. I put in a special request for them to speed up the process because I am dying form pancreas disease. The VA is several years behind in disabality matters for disabled veterans, and they drag their feet, it takes years to fight through appeals, the VA denies everyone their applications and forces hearings and appeals. But, that only has to do with money not the car.

For the disabled vets out ther, you will either find out how bad the VA is secrewed or you will someday when your military injuries come back to ruin your life.

It would be so damned nice to get rid of this old junk and get new cars. If I live than long..

I wouldn't mind a new Mustang, Camaro, or Cadillac. I am tired of front wheel drives. Too many prblems and the costs with front wheel drives. No room to work, an dht estress on front wheel drive parts is to much. Rear wheel drive are easier to work on and don't cost as much for parts. NO Half-shaft B.S.

Don't get me wrong, Toyotas a damned good cars, until you put a few miles on then all the parts start falling off, and smog controls fail, and timing belts, half-shafts, No room, etc..etc..e.tc..etc...etc...

It also has oil al over from the old leaking valve cover gasker, which I replaced a few months ago, but the oil is to hard to get cleaned off the lower engines and frame, and he said I have to find a special shop that can clean it better, but it might cost about $100.00 to clean all the oil... It's jsut very hard to do, spraying it with cleaners and taking it to the DIY Quarter car wash. Yes, a long time ago, they were a quarter ... now they are 2 arms and 3 leggs in quarters..

We have had 3 Toyotas up until now, 1 truck and two cars.. The truck was the best, my niece wrecked that,, I miss it.. it had an automatic, and I used to put a dirtbike in the back, it was really anice truck..

the camry is veyr comfortable, the corolla has the best gas maileage, but stil sucks a little more gas than i thought it should,,

The cars always fail smog, every frakkin time..

Anyways.,.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
One with the force

Life can't be that bad if you're retired at 44.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
I wrench, therefore I am!

Gameroom cash: $215200
View TedL's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillrunning View Post
Life can't be that bad if you're retired at 44.
I hope this comment reflects blowing past his statement that he has a fatal disease.........
TedL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
One with the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedL View Post
I hope this comment reflects blowing past his statement that he has a fatal disease.........
Good point. Yea, that was an insensitive oversight in the reading.
Apologies are in order.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Lightbulb

gotta keep this junk running, until I either die or get the money...
necrotizing pancreatitis with complications (from working with chemicals on active duty in the U.S. Air force).. I really like the camry, it feels nice, even though it has worn out parts... and has plenty of power for a 4 cylinder.. the corolla has 370,000 miles and while runs good, other parts are really getting to go bad,, inside the drivers door, the window crank gear is skipping..

if I don't get these cars replaced while I am alive, then the family will have to take the check when it comes (the Veterans administration makes vets fight through denials and appeals for several years before they pay disability claims) ..

I just am too sick to work on old cars... or any car..
it sucks having to pay for others to do things I know how to do...
things that are easy for healthy person..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)