What causes a squealing noise after replacing the power steering pump - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)

3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Camry 97's Photo Gallery
What causes a squealing noise after replacing the power steering pump

On cold mornings, I noticed whining sound when starting my car and steering was a little hard. The mechanic told me that a power steering pump is leaking and he suggested replacing it. I asked if something else needs to be repaired and he said he didn't find any other problems.

The pump was replaced ($220 labor, $ 335 new pump). Now steering is much smoother and the car starts fine in the morning but the whining sound still occasionally appears; not in the morning but during normal driving after the car warms up.

Also, on my drive to work, I heard high pitched squealing sound several times. This is something new, never heard that before. At first, I thought it was related to turning steering wheel slightly but the noise seems to appear even when not moving steering wheel at all. Also, when turning sharp left, there is a rather loud rattling noise similar to dragging an empty can under the car (this is also new, never heard that before the repair). Sorry, I know my descriptions are lacking .

What could be the cause of this? Is this something that will go away after a few days? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Last edited by Camry 97; 03-20-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Camry 97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $1097250
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View 71Corolla's Photo Gallery
It could be something as simple as the PS belt is not tight enough so it is slipping. If it really was a new pump installed and the air was removed, the pump won't make any unusual noises. The noise you hear when turning, I'm guessing here but the mechanic may have damaged the axle when working on the PS system. Or perhaps something is rubbing on the wheel like a brake dust shield.
1990 Camry LE V6 WAGON
1987 Camry LE I4

>>>>> Parts for sale
71Corolla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View mpvue's Photo Gallery
only based on your description, the 'can' noise can be a bad CV joint. as for the squealing, did they change the P/S belt? the old belt is squealing on the new pulley would be my first guess.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View Chaditotx's Photo Gallery
might have got oil/fluid/grease on new and existing belts. I've done it myself. I usually spray my pulleys off with brake cleaner if I think i've got oil around there.. like timing belt replacement or when I flushed out my power steering pump, and didn't notice the catch bucket I put under hood was full . (one man operation)
Chaditotx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
イリジウム

Gameroom cash: $924330
Supreme Member
View JohnGD's Photo Gallery
Pop the hood and listen for the source of the noise. Most likely around the belt pulley area. Loose tension or dirty/oily pulleys are possible causes as mentioned. Yeah, the pulleys need to be checked/cleaned before the belts go back on.

As far as other noise maybe something wasn't tightened down properly?
JohnGD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $164000
View SilverSoarer's Photo Gallery
If a steering wheel is hard to turn and leaking/squealing - how do you diagnose if it's the p/s pump or the rack ?

Last edited by SilverSoarer; 03-21-2012 at 08:02 PM.
SilverSoarer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
イリジウム

Supreme Member
Yeah good question. If a pump is weak or the rack is bypassing internally then the symptoms will be the same. However, my guess is it's more likely the problem is with the pump than with the rack in a typical car. The dealer should have a PS pump pressure gauge to help isolate the problem, not that I think they even use it.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGD View Post
Yeah good question. If a pump is weak or the rack is bypassing internally then the symptoms will be the same. However, my guess is it's more likely the problem is with the pump than with the rack in a typical car. The dealer should have a PS pump pressure gauge to help isolate the problem, not that I think they even use it.
Do you recommend re-building the p/s pump using the factory gaskets or buying a reman denso unit ?

btw, the mac5200 works like a charm - thanks for that recommendation
Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View alexander7567's Photo Gallery
check the belt.. If its loose it would make a squealing noise
Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
イリジウム

Supreme Member
If there are no mechanical faults then just rebuild using a Toyota rebuild kit. Tighten the connections using a torque wrench back on. One common wear point is the pump shaft where the seal is. Dirty fluid or a worn seal can allow the spring to wear a groove into the shaft. There are a couple of DIYs around.

I don't think Denso Aftermarket makes reman pumps, unfortunately. So keep yours if it's been good over the years. Have you done PS flushes? And what kind of ATF do you use in there?

The heart of the PS pump is really the pressure regulation valve. And if the PS fluid is flushed or drained/refilled periodically, then the vane section should still be good too. But the seals do age and eventually leak.

You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSoarer View Post
Do you recommend re-building the p/s pump using the factory gaskets or buying a reman denso unit ?

btw, the mac5200 works like a charm - thanks for that recommendation
Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
イリジウム

Supreme Member
Are you referring to the OPs problem or are you having a similar problem on your car?

Is it leaking from the pump area or rack area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSoarer View Post
If a steering wheel is hard to turn and leaking/squealing - how do you diagnose if it's the p/s pump or the rack ?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGD View Post
If there are no mechanical faults then just rebuild using a Toyota rebuild kit. Tighten the connections using a torque wrench back on. One common wear point is the pump shaft where the seal is. Dirty fluid or a worn seal can allow the spring to wear a groove into the shaft. There are a couple of DIYs around.

I don't think Denso Aftermarket makes reman pumps, unfortunately. So keep yours if it's been good over the years. Have you done PS flushes? And what kind of ATF do you use in there?

The heart of the PS pump is really the pressure regulation valve. And if the PS fluid is flushed or drained/refilled periodically, then the vane section should still be good too. But the seals do age and eventually leak.

You're welcome.
Fluid flushes every year using either factory toyota,shell, or esso/mobil dexron III.

It's currently leaking atf fluid and getting hard to turn.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
イリジウム

Supreme Member
Check belt tension (this is another reason why an automatic tensioner should have been used from the factory) and the condition of the belt and pulley. A loose belt or oily pulley can result in hard steering as well.

Is the leak around the pump area? Are there noises during operation? If you jack up the frontend does the steering wheel turn smoothly lock-to-lock?

Dino Dexron III works. Or you can use Walmart's Supertech Mercon-V too. It's more shear resistant than plain dino and can be used in place of D-III.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Official TN Member

There is a leak around the pump area (no leak around the rack just yet).

I have to test if it turns smoothly if jacked up - will report back on that.

Last edited by SilverSoarer; 03-21-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
イリジウム

Supreme Member
^ leaks around the pump pulley area especially a worn shaft can cause ATF to get onto the belt and pulley and making the steering harder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)