Toyota Nation Forum banner

starting time

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  pmesfun 
#1 ·
Whenever I go to start my car it seems it takes a bit longer then expected to catch when i turn the key to run the starter. Once its running its fine, but cold starts, hot starts anything, it always seems to take a little longer then most other cars to catch and startup.

This morning I checked the engine temperature sensors for the coolant and air intake. They both seemed to be within the margin of error using the Haynes manual chart. The spark plugs and wires are new, engine timing is spot on, and battery is good. Anyways I uploaded this video of me starting the car this morning and the engine was cold. The overnight low temp was 55*F and the temp at startup was 75*F. If it were the IAC valve I'd figure I'd have problems with idle or somewhere else but I don't once the engine is running. I suppose I'd like to start without so many revs of the starter, that's my main annoyance. It always seems so long before the engine catches when I turn the key but it doesn't appear that way when watching the video. Is this how everyone else's Camry starts? Watching the video doesn't seem to give the same feel I'd hoped but maybe someone will chime in and say it's normal or abnormal...

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/850/jk6.mp4/

#2 ·
Watched your video. That cranking time before starting seems pretty normal to me. Maybe just a second or so longer than mine. Maybe.

#7 ·
I work on a buddies 97 Dodge Ram (5.9l V8). He got the truck for free from his brother-in-law when the transmission went out at 150k. He had the trans rebuilt. His brother in law knew the truck from 0 miles. Bought it at 75k. So we have a full history of the vehicle.

It now has 210k on it.

Anyway, my point... that truck takes MINIMUM of 6 seconds cranking, before it will start. Every.single.time. Sometimes it'll take up to 12 seconds cranking. And his bro-in-law says it was that way even when new. Engine still strong at 210k. Burns no oil. Never neglected. Gets 16mpg (good for that engine) And most amazingly, still on the original starter.

It's so bad, anytime we're workin on something that wont start, we have to say "dude, it starts like your truck"

So I think your Camry is fine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.