ABS Light on 99 Camry - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-02-2012, 07:45 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
ABS Light on 99 Camry

My 1999 Camry has the ABS light is on. This happened after some work that was done on the rear struts. I can't find a place that can to tell me which ABS sensor it is. Can I just buy one (1) rear sensor and try it on both the right and left side? When I browse to buy a sensor, I see that I have to choose either a rear-left or a rear-right one....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 AM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
No, the sensors are different for right Vs left. Usually has to do with the mounting brackets. You need to pull the error code to figure out which one's bad. Here's a thread with a post showing how to pull the ABS error code. Here's the list for what the codes mean:

ABS codes:

Code 11 - Open in solenoid relay circuit. Check actuator wiring harness, solenoid relay, solenoid relay wiring harness and solenoid relay connector.

Code 12 - Short in solenoid relay circuit. Check actuator wiring harness, solenoid relay, solenoid relay wiring harness and solenoid relay connector.

Code 13 - Open in pump motor relay circuit. Check actuator wiring harness, pump motor relay, pump motor relay wiring harness and pump motor relay connector.

Code 14 - Short in pump motor relay circuit. Check actuator wiring harness, pump motor relay, pump motor relay wiring harness and pump motor relay connector.

Code 21 - Open or short circuit in solenoid for right front wheel. Check actuator solenoid, wiring harness and connector.

Code 22 - Open or short circuit in solenoid for left front wheel. Check actuator solenoid, wiring harness and connector.

Code 23 - Open or short circuit in solenoid for right rear wheel. Check actuator solenoid, wiring harness and connector.

Code 24 - Open or short circuit in solenoid for left rear wheel. Check actuator solenoid, wiring harness and connector.

Code 31 - Malftmnction of right front wheel speed sensor signal. Check speed sensor, sensor rotor, wiring harness and connector.

Code 32 - Malfunction of left front wheel speed sensor signal. Check speed sensor, sensor rotor, wiring harness and connector.

Code 33 - Malfunction of right rear wheel speed sensor signal. Check speed sensor, sensor rotor, wiring harness and connector.

Code 34 - Malfunction of left rear wheel speed sensor signal. Check speed sensor, sensor rotor, wiring harness, and connector.

Code 35 - Open in left front or right rear wheel speed sensor circuit. Check speed sensor, sensor rotor, wiring harness and connector.

Code 36 - Open in right front or left rear wheel speed sensor circuit. Check speed sensor, sensor rotor, wiring harness and connector.

Code 37 - Rear speed sensor rotor malfunction. Check rear sensor rotors.

Code 41 - Battery voltage is less than 9.5 volts or more than 16.2 volts. Check battery and voltage regulator.

Code 51 - Actuator pump motor is locked or pump motor circuit open. Check pump motor, pump motor relay, vehicle battery, actuator wiring harness, connectors, actuator pump motor circuit and actuator ground bolt.

ABS Light Always On - Malfunction of ABS ECU. Inspect ABS ECU connector for proper installation and undamaged terminals. Repair as necessary. If connector is okay, temporarily substitute known good ABS ECU. Retest system

To Clear the Codes:
1) Make sure you replace the short pin from the DLC
2) Connect a jumper Wire between TC and E1
3) Press Brake pedal 8 or more times within 3 seconds. ABS light will go out within 3 seconds

1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, now at 365k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 308k
2001 Yamaha FZ1, Ivan's jet kit, resprung, Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech cartridge emulators in forks, 49k

Last edited by BMR; 04-02-2012 at 11:38 AM.
#3 Old 04-02-2012, 01:20 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the response. When you mention that the codes can be cleared - does that mean that I could try that to see if the ABS sensor is okay? In other words, maybe it was dirty but it's now clean - or would the ABS system reset itself? The mechanic who replaced the struts said everything looked good and that he couldn't figure out why the ABS light was on - it wasn't before the struts were replaced.

Thank you!
#4 Old 04-02-2012, 02:07 PM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

You could try clearing the codes to see if it comes back. But it probably will. Those cables are easily damaged during strut replacement. If they're not careful while removing/replacing the strut about how far down they're pushing the knuckle, it can break the wires inside. You could measure the sensors' resistances to see if one is an open circuit. I'm not sure where the connectors are... in the trunk or under the seat?... never had to mess with them myself, so not sure.

1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, now at 365k miles
2001 Yamaha FZ1, Ivan's jet kit, resprung, Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech cartridge emulators in forks, 49k
#5 Old 04-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
^this.

The ABS wire is rather thin, and it can be very easily damaged during strut replacement. Definitely check the wires first. Is there anything wrong with them visually?
#6 Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 AM
New TN User

What/How would i do if the wire was damaged. How much would it cost? I have the same problem. The ABS light just came on and the rear struts were replaced 2 days ago.
#7 Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 AM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

A new sensor is about $100, depending on what brand you pick. OEM is ~$160. I've never cut open the wiring on those, so dunno how hard it would be to repair. And it might be broken right at the sensor which would increase the difficulty. If it's a shielded signal cable, ugh. Odds of success go down even more.

#8 Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 AM
New TN User

I brought mine back to the mechanic, had him replace the rear right ABS sensor. After clearing the code (shorting E1 and Tc, pumping brake pedal...) i drove for about a mile the freaking ABS light popped up and stays on again.
#9 Old 03-08-2013, 09:40 AM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Ichiban Rhino - What error code was yours throwing?

#10 Old 03-08-2013, 09:45 AM
New TN User

It threw error code 24 before (that's what the mechanic said). I'll do code checking again today after work to see if it come up different one or not. Keep my finger crossed.
#11 Old 03-08-2013, 09:53 AM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Code 24 - Open or short circuit in solenoid for left rear wheel. Check actuator solenoid, wiring harness and connector.

...and I'm not so sure a bad sensor could cause this code, as the error message is talking about a solenoid, not a sensor. ABS codes are odd, in that one bad part, like a sensor can sometimes trip multiple codes that don't sound related.

#12 Old 03-08-2013, 05:32 PM
New TN User

Ok. I did check. It's code 33. So I called the mechanic asked him about it. He said he did change the left rear sensor. Now it's the right rear sensor throws the code. The mechanic said he'll charge $200 for it. Anybody know if this is DIY?
#13 Old 03-08-2013, 06:21 PM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

The sensors are pretty easy to replace. This rear brake DIY shows how to get the sensor out... DIY - 2000 Camry LE, Rear rotors, pads, shoes, caliper re-build, many pics. Part 1

#14 Old 10-06-2013, 06:49 PM
New TN User

I have read this whole thread about ABS light on, etc. Friend mechanic fixed my struts and now ABS light is on. He checked underneath and said wires look ok. I took it to a shop and they can't get it to make a code, even a flashing one. What now? Too expensive to just start replacing sensors. Ideas? thanks.
#15 Old 10-06-2013, 09:06 PM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Did you try pulling the ABS codes per this thread that I posted a link to above?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)