Temperature gauge & sensors / senders / switches - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-08-2012, 08:21 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Question Temperature gauge & sensors / senders / switches

I've browsed a lot of other threads on this stuff but I'm still a little lost.

I've got a '95 2.2L/LE sedan/auto and the temperature gauge pins as soon as the key is in on position (even with engine completely cool).

For some reason, on extended trips it starts to slowly go down until it settles to display a normal running temp.

Rock Auto puts the temperature sensor and temperature sender under the same section... don't these serve two distinct purposes? Correct me if I'm wrong: one of them sends coolant temp info to the gauge, and the other serves to switch the radiator fans on/off. Which one should I be looking at for my gauge issue?

And what is its location? I read that it should be near the thermostat, but I don't see anything that looks like this piece over there. Is it one of the pieces in the picture below (on or near the water exit block)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-08-2012, 09:31 PM
イリジウム

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
The gauge "sender" is the one-wire one. The sensor for the ECU is the two-wire one.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnGD For This Useful Post:
DogToggler (07-09-2012)
#3 Old 07-08-2012, 10:00 PM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
There are actually three coolant temperature sensors.

1) The ECT which feeds the ECU. That one's in your picture; the one on the left with the green connector on it.

2) The fan sensor, or more accurately, switch. On the 4 cylinder, it's mounted in the radiator at the bottom on the passenger side.

3) The sensor the gauge uses. Not sure where it is on the 4 cyl, but I *think* it's in your pic, the one next to the green one.

1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, now at 365k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 308k
2001 Yamaha FZ1, Ivan's jet kit, resprung, Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech cartridge emulators in forks, 49k
The Following User Says Thank You to BMR For This Useful Post:
DogToggler (07-09-2012)
#4 Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Official TN Member

If this is an image of your engine, then the aluminum appears corroded. I would guess this is from traveling on salted winter roads? Is it possible that the temperature sender / connection fitting is loaded up with corrosion salts, is damp with moisture and then grounds / shorts the temperature sender / connection fitting interface?

1994 Camry V6 SE Coupe
The Following User Says Thank You to SwampFox For This Useful Post:
DogToggler (07-09-2012)
#5 Old 07-09-2012, 10:35 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your help everyone.

Yes, it could most definitely be a corrosion issue, I live in the northeast. I popped one of these connectors off (without knowing whether it was the right one) just to see how the contact components looked. They didn't appear as bad as the exposed components seen in the photo, but I'm not ruling it out.

I will probably just replace it since it is a relatively cheap part. I'm hoping it is not the gauge itself, but the fact that it settles down on long trips makes me think it might be on the sensor side.

The car had some traumatic cooling system issues in the past that may have affected this and other components .
#6 Old 07-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Senior TN Member

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
The sensor would be the cheapest and easiest thing to replace (it's just a thermal resistor). But, if it's reading high at the sensor, your rad fan should be constantly running. If that isn't happening, I'd start looking somewhere else, other than the sensor.
#7 Old 07-12-2012, 11:29 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Follow up: Luckily this was the correct sensor I got off a 5sfe at the junkyard even though I wasn't sure. I removed my defective one (17mm deep socket) and immediately saw the problem. The 'thermowell' part of the sensor was deformed with a nice hole in one side:

This must have been a result of the traumatic cooling system issues I previously mentioned. Let's just say things got pretty hot on a couple of occasions. Fixed leaks, new thermostat, radiator cap etc. but I guess this was some collateral damage. I should probably replace the other sensor for the ECU as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalMethod View Post
The sensor would be the cheapest and easiest thing to replace (it's just a thermal resistor). But, if it's reading high at the sensor, your rad fan should be constantly running. If that isn't happening, I'd start looking somewhere else, other than the sensor.
As previously mentioned, the fans are controlled by a temp. sensing switch on the radiator. As a precaution while my gauge wasn't working, I had the switch unplugged so the fans would always run. I plugged it back in after the repair and let the car idle for a while, but it never got hot enough to see if the fans would turn on automatically.

Last edited by DogToggler; 07-12-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)