Oil Temp / Pressure Gauge Install - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Turbo Snail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Oil Temp / Pressure Gauge Install

I bought some electronic Oil Gauges for my 95 Camry MT.

They are wicked easy to install for anyone who ever wants to install them.

The gauges come with 3 wires. Black, Red, and Green. They go as follows:

Black - Ground
Red - 12V+
Green - To Sending Unit

Hook the black up to a good ground. For the 12V+ Wire, Find a fuse that is Switched voltage.. You turn the key on, it gets power.. You turn the key off, the power goes off.

You can get Fuse adapters at Advance Auto Parts, Autzone, Carquest, o reillys, etc..

As far as hooking the sending units up, I didnt have an Oil Filter sandwich plate yet, so i made up a brass Tree adapter to hook up temporarily.

The hardest part is running all your wiring. To run my wiring, all I did was pull the cluster surrounding off, and also the Coin Tray on the lower LH side of the dash (Gen 3). With all that crap pulled off I was able to run all my wiring behind the cluster surround, and through the coin tray. Once It was pulled through the coin tray, I hooked it into my 12V Switched fuse

To run the wiring so it didnt get pinched, I also notched a hole where i ran my wiring through up by the vent

then ran my Gauge wiring through the firewall and hooked it into the Brass Tree I pieced together.

Like I said this is a super easy project for anyone who is interested to tackle.

This is the gauges running at idle, before I ran my Loom over the wiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Senior TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I'm currently in the "gathering parts" stages of doing this too.
I'm going to do a digital volt meter, digital oil pressure, and analog vacuum gauges. I have the vacuum and volt, still gotta get the oil pressure and fittings. I think I am just going to do away with the oil pressure switch and light, as the oil pressure gauge I'm going with has a built-in light.

I'm gonna pick up one of the universal A pillar pods and try doing it like this http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/interi...gauge-pod.html

1995 Chevrolet 1/2ton ext cab 4x4 6.5l Turbo Diesel
1998 Toyota Camry 5SFE Auto
2002 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4
#3 Old 07-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Turbo Snail

Garage
(Thread Starter)
why are you getting a vacuum and a volt gauge? Just curious the reasoning behind it.

I got oil pressure and oil temp so i can monitor my pressures and temps. It came with a boost gauge, but that was just part of the package. really has no purpose unless I wanted to hook it up to measure vacuum draw, which wouldnt be much anyways. lol

I am going to get another oil temp gauge and a water temp gauge so i can monitor my transmission temp and also my coolant temp soon as well. It's just nice to know what kind of temps your running, and it also helps you be able to see a problem before it happens with proper monitoring
#4 Old 07-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Senior TN Member

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Just wondering how big the gauges are length wise (internally). Reason being I'd like to have them, but install them on my "A" pillar bezel.
#5 Old 07-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Turbo Snail

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I'm not sure on the total length, I can find out tomorrow for you though. They are 52mm gauges if that helps right now
#6 Old 07-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Senior TN Member

Think that's the diameter of the gauges, but if you can pop one open and see how deep into the housing it goes, it would be very much appreciated.
#7 Old 07-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Turbo Snail

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Yeah I know 52mm is the diameter of the gauges, that's all that I know about the gauges. I'll measure the length when I get a chance tomorrow for ya
#8 Old 07-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Senior TN Member

Well, mainly I'm just doing this for "play pretty", to practice with the bondo and paint and see if I can match it well. Learning a skill that might be valuable in the future so to speak.

I wanted an amp gauge instead of volts, but them are much higher $$$

I'm going with vacuum with the thought of - the less vacuum it's reading = the more the throttle is open, should = more fuel I'm burning. Might make me (or the wife) more fuel savvy?

But mostly so I can say "I can make ya a A pillar pod for cars that they aren't available for - look in my Camry"

2002 Chevrolet Impala
#9 Old 07-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Perkins View Post
Yeah I know 52mm is the diameter of the gauges, that's all that I know about the gauges. I'll measure the length when I get a chance tomorrow for ya
Thanks dude! Really appreciate it.
#10 Old 07-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolink654 View Post
Well, mainly I'm just doing this for "play pretty", to practice with the bondo and paint and see if I can match it well. Learning a skill that might be valuable in the future so to speak.

I wanted an amp gauge instead of volts, but them are much higher $$$

I'm going with vacuum with the thought of - the less vacuum it's reading = the more the throttle is open, should = more fuel I'm burning. Might make me (or the wife) more fuel savvy?

But mostly so I can say "I can make ya a A pillar pod for cars that they aren't available for - look in my Camry"
If the gauges aren't too deep, I'm planning on doing the same thing, only I'm making mine from scratch (although, I hadn't thought about the selling bit of it). I was just going to with fiberglass, Bondo, and a spring steel sheet clip on mount DIY.
#11 Old 07-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Senior TN Member

I think most of the 52mm/2in gauges are the same length, or close to it. I just measured the 2 I have, and they both come in at around 2 1/4 in long (starting under the bezel, to the back of the gauge), not counting the mounting screws and bracket. I also put a 52mm blue LED tach in my pickup, and while I'm not 100% sure, I think it was also the same length.

I am not exactly going to "sell" them - I just do alot of work on the side on cars for alot of people, and over the last year, I've about doubled the amount of work I do. I'd like to be able to start doing some custom work and such.

There is some cool pictures out on the web somewere on how to make one with wood, stretchy cloth, fiberglass. Looks cool, but the universal pods are only like $18. $18 to save alot of work - I'll take it.

2002 Chevrolet Impala
#12 Old 07-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Senior TN Member

Here's what I put in the pickup. http://www.ebay.com/itm/170856412668...84.m1497.l2649

But the pickup had a blanked off area in the gauge cluster were the tach would've been. It's been in there about 1,000 miles and works well - But I don't like it. I chose digital so I could set my idle and stuff (how could you tell exactly 750rpms on a 2" needle?). And for that it worked well. But A) it doesn't "wind up" like 750-751-752-753 only real fast, like I thought it would. Instead when revved it goes 750 then 1/4 second later 1,000 then 1/4 second later 1,500 ect. like it has a "refresh rate" I guess B) there is just something satisfying about a needle.

But I've already got the volt meter of the same brand, so I'm gonna go with their oil pressure gauge too. The vacuum gauge is a different brand, it has a needle, but it lights up blue so it'll match.

2002 Chevrolet Impala
#13 Old 07-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Turbo Snail

Garage
(Thread Starter)
yeah the gauges are 63.5 mm long
The Following User Says Thank You to Perkins For This Useful Post:
CrystalMethod (07-16-2012)
#14 Old 07-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Perkins View Post
yeah the gauges are 63.5 mm long
Thanks dude, much appreciated.
#15 Old 07-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Turbo Snail

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalMethod View Post
Thanks dude, much appreciated.
no problem dude. that measurement is from the rear of the gauge to where the Lip on the front is, the total length is a little longer, maybe 6.35mm longer, but the total part that would fit into a pod is the 63.5mm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)