Timing belt replaced, now will not turn. - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)

3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View greyheadedguy's Photo Gallery
Timing belt replaced, now will not turn.

94 Camry 2.2 4 cylinder, I replaced the timing belt, no other problems with the car the just time to replace the timing belt. My manual disapered just before I went to do the job. Most everything went fine except when I went to start the car. It would not start and was clearly out of time. I retimed it and now the engine will not rotate. It will turn sofar and then it stops. I understand this is a non-interference engine so what could be the problem be? How can I see what is going on in that engine with out pulling the head off of it. How do I determine which cylinder it is?
greyheadedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $102900
View hzt30's Photo Gallery
Recheck all your work.

When you rotate the engine is this coming to a dead stop or are you just encountering strong resistance? Are you rotating the engine with spark plugs in? Rotating the engine with the spark plugs in will meet with resistance due to compression. You overcome this compression by applying more torque to the wrench. Pull all the spark plugs out and rotate the crank and you can look down the spark plugs holes and you should be able see piston movement.
hzt30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View greyheadedguy's Photo Gallery
I had the spark plugs out when I did this. I understand engine compression, that is why I removed the spark plugs. The engine came to a dead stop like there was either something in the cylinder or some other interference stopping the movement.

Is there anyway that it dropped a valve or something. My worse fear is that a neighbor;s kid dropped something in the engine. That is the only way I can figure I would have any interference in the engine, unless somebody knows something I don't ( Which would not surprise me.)
greyheadedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $1091250
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View 71Corolla's Photo Gallery
Is the timing belt binding up on something? Remove the belt and turn the crank and cam independently to find out where the problem is.
1990 Camry LE V6 WAGON
1987 Camry LE I4

>>>>> Parts for sale
71Corolla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $102900
View hzt30's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyheadedguy View Post
Is there anyway that it dropped a valve or something.
Highly unlikely a valve would just drop.

Do as 71 Corolla suggested and remove the timing belt and see if the crank turns.
hzt30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)