Toyota Nation Forum banner

[DIY] Trunk release cable on 99 CE

14K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  hermtm2 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, everyone.

I bought a 99 CE on the labor day week. Everything is great but the trunk release lever. I've searched repair manuals (Alldata, Ondemand, and Chilton) and DIYs at this forum, but no luck.

As many guys told me, the job is a very straight forward but needs lots of times.
One thing I've learned from this DIY is that INSTALL A TRUNK RELEASE SOLENOID (About $30) INSTEAD OF REPLACING AN OEM CABLE ($45) SINCE THE JOB WILL BE EASIER AND CHEAPER.

Anyway, I already did.
Here is tool you need.

1. 10, 12, and 14 mm sockets and 3/8 ratchet
2. Flat head screw driver
3. Long nose piler and diagonal plier

There were about 14 plastic retainers. Remove all and then cloth cover.

The red line indicates the old cable.

I marked the original location of the locker.

Two 10 mm bolts held the locker. Take them out and disassemble the cable head. Be careful to not damage the white and green plastic things.

Pull the back seat bottom out.

12 mm bolt held the side cushion. Take bolt and the cushion out.

Remove the back side panels out. They are only held by clips, so please be gentle.

Romve the front side panels out.

There are four 14 mm bolts. I took the driver's seat out in order to access the release lever.

Once the seat out, carefully pull the carpet out. There isn't much room to the lever out of the carpet. Hold the carpet tight and pull it over the lever. There is 10 mm bolt.

Remove it. Pull the lever assembly to the arrow direction in the picture.

If you followed what I said correctly, the lever is ready to give the old cable up.

Repeat the same way you take the cable head out on the locker.

Replace the new one and do reverse order.
Job is done now.

Have some drink and enjoy the lever.

P.S. I cleaned the entire carpet inside, since I already removed front and back seats. It took me additional 1 hour but it was worth it.

Thanks,
Ryan.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice job on the DIY!

When you removed the fabric liner on the trunk, did a lot of the plastic fasteners break?... I always have a lot of those break on me.

#3 ·
It used to happen but not in this time. I used a flat head screw driver to access a small gap between the fasteners and cover and then a diagonal plier finished them. None of them was broken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.