Rear drum brake adjustment How-To - nothing in owners manual? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)

3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
TN Luser

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View 1996ClaretCamry's Photo Gallery
3rd Generation Rear drum brake adjustment How-To - nothing in owners manual?

I have read several threads on this forum about adjusting the rear drum brakes - usually in conjunction with a brake job - and most mention the rear brakes are adjusted by operating the parking brake, *not* by backing up and stopping like most old-school drum brake systems.

My question is: if this is in fact how the rear brakes are adjusted, WHY DOESN'T THE OWNERS MANUAL POINT THIS OUT? It is a pretty safe assumption, that those with automatic transmissions living in non-hilly environs may NEVER use their parking brakes, thus the rear brakes would never self-adjust! I'm not meaning to call anyone a liar about this, but just from a liability point of view, I would think "Use the parking brake once in a while" would be plastered over the owners manual more than once. Maybe I missed it, but my manual seems to say nothing on this issue - I was given an replacement manual when I bought the car; maybe I was given the wrong one.

I just had major brake work done, and the pedal doesn't seem too much different, so I'm wondering about the rear drum brakes, if they're out of adjustment, and how to get them to actually adjust. I've operated the parking brake a few times and it goes up too much (IMHO) before it starts working (resistance). I suppose I should just work it 20 or 30 times like a few of the threads mention, but I'm a little worried about the cables sticking in place and ending up with dragging rear brakes - wouldn't that be ironic?
1996ClaretCamry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Home School Valedictorian

Gameroom cash: $232100
View 9T6AvalonXLS's Photo Gallery
What I did on my rear drum brake Camry to adjust was to remove the rear drums and turn the star wheel a few clicks at a time and test fit the drum, adjusting until there was slight resistance between the shoes and the drum.

Mine wasn't holding on a incline before the adjustment, after it had no problem holding.

I just bought this Camry and have not heard about the adjustment method you mention. I need to get me a factory service manual.
9T6AvalonXLS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Turbo Snail

Gameroom cash: $818051
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
View Perkins's Photo Gallery
Your drums should automatically adjust when you push the brake pedal. The post above by 9T6AvalonXLS is spot on, on how to adjust them. I dont know what this method is with the use of the E-Brake ?
Old 10-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $344055
View redgtxdi's Photo Gallery
If you have a rear drum brake setup, then yes, they are *supposed* to adjust whenever you use your emergency brake. (pull and release activates the self adjusting mechanism)

IMHO, this mechanism does not work well. You could go 200,000 miles (or heck, forever) without ever changing rear brakes. I know, my Prizm was darn close to that.

After my last rear brake job on my Camry, I've started adjusting them every so often, manually. (anybody with an old Volkswagen Bug remembers this well). It becomes rather obvious that the mechanism falls short when you see how much they're out of adjustment and there are no more perfect rear drums brakes than in my Camry.

You just have to know that if you have rear drums brakes, you're most likely relying on your front brakes 90% of the time.

2011 Venza 2.7L. 9,000 miles wondering if there ever was an NVH crew assigned to Venza
redgtxdi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $343900
View fj62's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins View Post
Your drums should automatically adjust when you push the brake pedal. The post above by 9T6AvalonXLS is spot on, on how to adjust them. I dont know what this method is with the use of the E-Brake ?
Do this at your own risk.
I don't know if this works on all vehicles that have a hand lever emergency brake. the proceedure is to pull the brake lever on and off as you go in reverse. You don't latch the lever just keep pulling and releasing as you back up. I would think you could do this on the level by accelerating slowly while in reverse and pulling the e-brake handle. . If successful, the e-brake level will not pull as many clicks as it did before when you apply e-brake.
1985 Camry, 1989 Land Cruiser, 1989 Corolla All-Trac, 1986 1 ton motorhome
fj62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $316495
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View CrystalMethod's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fj62 View Post
I don't know if this works on all vehicles that have a hand lever emergency brake. the proceedure is to pull the brake lever on and off as you go in reverse. You don't latch the lever just keep pulling and releasing as you back up. I would think you could do this on the level by accelerating slowly while in reverse and pulling the e-brake handle. . If successful, the e-brake level will not pull as many clicks as it did before when you apply e-brake.
Pulling the parking/emergency brake lever method is "supposed" to adjust the rear brakes. But, I've never found this method to work well. The method 9T6AvalonXLS describes is correct. You're don't necessarily have to remove the drum/disk. There's a rubber plug that you can remove and access the star wheel. The trick is to not over tighten the adjustment, as this will make the brakes drag and make trying to take the brake drum off next to impossible. If you do over tighten you will have to lift/push back the "Lever/Ratchet Pawl" in order to back off the star wheel.
CrystalMethod is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dave's

Gameroom cash: $292750
View Dave's's Photo Gallery
I don't feel the parking brake does great either but I rarely use it anyway. I just raise the wheel, remove the rubber plug and adjust the star wheel while spinning the tire. (Doesn't need to be fast.) When it just starts to drag that where I stop. Basically I listen for a kind of shhs shhs shhs sound as the shoe begins to contact the drum.
Dave's is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave's For This Useful Post:
capnblinski (04-16-2013)
Old 10-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $1096050
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View 71Corolla's Photo Gallery
If the drum brake mechanism is working correctly, the parking brake will ratchet the self adjuster every time. Often the ratcheting mechanism is filled with brake dust and crud and doesn't rotate easily, or the ratchet itself is worn.
1990 Camry LE V6 WAGON
1987 Camry LE I4

>>>>> Parts for sale
71Corolla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $303855
View deadrx7conv's Photo Gallery
ALWAYS USE YOUR PARKING BRAKES, or turn your license in for public transportation

My owners manual says to use the parking brake when parking. It doesn't care if you're on a non-hilly environs or sloped surface. When parking, you use it. There is no statement on not-using the parking brake when parking. No exceptions! Its not a once-in-a-while parking brake. Its an always-used when parking brake.

I can't use the test fit drum method since every drum I've ever reused had a rusty no-wear edge lip. I even have a drum/shoe vernier which I've never use. New drums can be test-fit adjusted, but I prefer the 'shhh shhh shhh' method.

Even if the brakes adjust mechanically on their own, it has limitations on much and how fast they'll adjust, especially with short-sighted owners that don't use their parking brakes(which is also an emergency brake when there is an all out hydraulic failure). If the brake job is recent, you could wait some time before the adjuster catches up to all the slack. And, if you like endangering the public by never using your parking brakes, or stressing an easy to break automatic transmission parking pall, don't expect it to adjust.

I've always used Dave's method, and recently re-adjusted my rear drum shoes about 2 weeks ago(for my state inspection). Parking brake works perfectly now(was a little weak before) and is used always. Brake pedal has great feedback. My brake shoes will last another gazillion miles. I don't give the state inspectors a reason to pull tires.

Owners manual doesn't explain brake jobs. Factory service manual explains how to take apart, put together, fix stuff,... but doesn't go into any reasons 'why'.
deadrx7conv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to deadrx7conv For This Useful Post:
capnblinski (04-16-2013)
Old 10-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Gameroom cash: $1149487
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
View Chris Crash's Photo Gallery
I keep telling my girlfriend, sister, roommate, parents, etc., to ALWAYS use the parking brake. It's called the parking brake for a reason. Hill or not, always use it.

Still, none of them use it. Oh well! At least my car is safe for another day.
Chris Crash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $320900
View bolink654's Photo Gallery
We live in hills. Enough hills that you'll need (want) the parking brake 75% of the time, thus - using it becomes instinct. I agree, just use it all the time.
1997 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4
bolink654 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $145000
View TC01's Photo Gallery
USA

What I did with my 01 Camry was the same as some above. I took off the rear wheels, pulled the rubber plug out and turned the star wheel downward until the wheel began to slightly drag. The brakes are always fine after doing this. Just be careful you don't tighten the brakes too tight.
TC01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
1MZ powered MR2

Gameroom cash: $281500
View Jason.MZW20's Photo Gallery
Doing the reverse trick is an old school way of forcing the drums to readjust.

In a deserted/safe area, put the vehicle in reverse, achieve roughly 10-15 mph and apply enough pressure to get within the lockup range (this will depend on tires).

Check the e-brake to see if it adjusted. Usually it takes a few times. If the reverse trick alone isn't helping, then you actually have to variably engage the e-brake while in reverse (as stated by fj62 above) to make the rear wheels rock a bit. This will free up the adjustment mechanism that tends to bind up.

I've done this trick on my brother's 2000 Corolla (lever brake) and my 2005 Tacoma V6 (foot brake), which is a bit trickier. The e-brake rarely seems to adjust itself properly with drums snd I use it all the time. I hate drum brakes.
Jason.MZW20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $221500
View capnblinski's Photo Gallery
Them drums, them drums, them dirty drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj62 View Post
I gave this a try as I know the brake hardware is good back there and the deal appears to be working. I replaced the fronts and everything in there was in good shape -- just needed the akebono pads in there.So I was thinking the rear drum brakes are probably shot but the hardware is probably still good and I was right -- a spray of brake kleaner and everything looked new -- even the shoes! That's the main cause of a semi-low brake pedal - the shoe-to-drum clearence. No wonder the shoes are only 1/10 worn... doh!

Only thing is -- now the long-disused drums and shoes have to get used to each other again!

Last edited by capnblinski; 04-19-2013 at 12:02 AM.
capnblinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
抵抗は無駄です

Gameroom cash: $1333630
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
View fenixus's Photo Gallery
general rule of a thumb for adjusting rear drums on toyotas in backing off 8 clicks from tight drum (no spin condition), it's not rocket science.

'02 Solara SLE V6 1MZ-FE/A541E@ 139k
'00 Solara SE 5S-FE/A140E @ 90k

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
items For Sale
fenixus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to fenixus For This Useful Post:
capnblinski (04-18-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)