Toyota Nation Forum banner

3vz Wont start

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  White Stripe 
#1 ·
So I got this new to me camry that doesn't run. When I turn it over it sounds like the plugs aren't in it. Kinda like a car sounds when your doing a compression test. So I checked the plugs, they look good but got a bunch of fuel on them. So I have fuel. Pulled the upper t-belt cover to check all the marks and for a broken belt-all good. Then I suspected maybe the piston rings have been fuel-washed out causing no compression. So I put a bit of oil in the cylinders and nothing. Then I tried using propane as a dry starting fluid in the pcv hose so as not to wash out the cylinders any more. (Unconventional but its worked for me before)I also loosened up the dizzy and tried moving it around a bit to see if that helps. It almost starts but then I get a backfire out the intake and it blows the afm off the hose!(I had the clamp very loose) I think this is an important key to the mystery. Any ideas out their?

#2 ·
I'm thinking the timing belt has slipped a tooth or more. That would explain the easy-cranking, the no start, and the backfire with propane.

#3 ·
Hmm. The easy cranking would rule out anything ignition related. The last guy that owned it said he went to start it one day and it wouldn't start. So it sounds like it was something that happened maybe when he tried to start it. Thats a good point I should not ignore. I have not removed the crank pulley. Maybe I should and make sure everything is exact.

#5 · (Edited)
I have not removed the crank pulley. Maybe I should and make sure everything is exact.
No need to remove the crank pulley. Just line up the pulley's ignition timing mark to "zero"; that'll put cylinder #1 at TDC. Then eyeball the marks on the cam pulleys to see if they're lined up correctly with the witness marks. You do need to remove the timing belt cover for that. And a mirror is almost required to get a good look at the rear bank's pulley.

edit: If none of the pulley marks are even close to lining up, you might need to rotate the crankshaft another full turn.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, does read like the intake valve was still open when when propane ignited, spark plug fired, raw gas wouldn't ignite without a bit of compression(heat).

And with reported lack of compression, cams and crank out of sync would be my guess as well.
Tensoner may need to be replaced if not the whole belt and seals.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. I will check it very carefully. I understand the theory and all, but it just blows my mind that a toyota would jump timing. The belt seemed like it was in good shape when I pulled the upper cover off. Have you seen one jump even with a good belt? Has anyone had something similar ever happen to their V6???

#7 ·
It seems to be somewhat rare for the V6's to have the timing belt jump a tooth. They both (3VZ & 1MZ) have a hydraulic tensioner to maintain tension on the belt as it stretches. It's sorta like the gas-charged hood lifts; permanently sealed pressure charge. But if it loses its charge, poof, no more tension. But like I said, it's rare.

#8 ·
It does seem odd, and for it to have limited or no compression it would have to be the Crank gear that skipped.
If only one cam gear skipped you would still have compression on one bank of cylinders.

What could of happen is the woodruff key for the crank gear failed and gear itself slipped.
Timing belt could still look good and be tight.

#11 ·
Well I figured out why my Camry isn't starting. I pulled the intake off and looked down the tubes. It turns out 5 of 6 cylinders has the intake valves stuck open! Totally sucks. Anyway I gotta take the heads of and clean the valves. They musta got gummed up since the car has sat for 2 years. I guess I can do a pnp and paint the intake and valve covers on the up side! I will post a pic soon.

#13 ·
Wow! That's an odd one. Love to see the pics. BTW, when you pull the heads, there is no doubt you'll have to replace the head gaskets. Mine were shredded when I separated the heads from the block. The gaskets stuck to both surfaces and totally delaminated.

#14 · (Edited)
Yes, odd indeed.
Valves can get bent and stick open, interference engine, 3vz isn't one
Intake valves can "tulip" if they get real hot, lots of pinging precedes that.
Busted springs maybe, but all the intake valves???

I can't see sitting for 2 years would be the cause, why it was put away for 2 years maybe :)

Maybe cams are not turning at all.

#16 ·
Good luck with it! Good thinkin', replacing the valve stems seals. Before I replaced them on mine, it was consuming 1 or 2 quarts between 5k mile oil changes. Now it's almost nothing. I saw you mentioned it has only 57k miles on it, but you might consider replacing the timing belt too, just on account of age.

I haven't got around to creating a HG replacement DIY for the 3VZ yet. But back when I was doing the job, I posted some teaser pics in my thread (below). Jump to page 5 for the start of the teardown pics. Maybe they'll help you some.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...owing-coolant-reservoir-solved-hg-failed.html

#17 ·
Man thanks for the help and good recommendations! I found out why the valves were stuck-varnish. It was kinda soft like tacky paint but man it was holding those valves solid. So I bought a nylon brush hone and will ream out the guides to get whats left of it outta the guides. The car sat for 2 years. Then the lady died. The guy across the street from her is an old man who bought it from her estate. He put a battery in it and tried to get it back on the road. He had it running for a day but probably drove it like an old man that day. Then the next morning it wouldn't start cuz the varnish hardened im guessing. Had he put new fuel in it with a gallon of lacquer thinner or something like that, and an oil change, and ran it hard that day, this probably wouldn't of happened. But I really don't think their was anyway to get the valves unstuck when I got it without taking off the head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.