Camry is driving me nuts - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing problems... I am quite surprised none else contributed that much to this thread/problem

I am confused about a few things. You said a few days ago that

Quote:
Originally Posted by genso View Post
got the iac working
but now you

Quote:
Originally Posted by genso View Post
finally broke down and bought a new iac valve for over two hundred bucks
If you got the IAC working as shown in the test procedure and discussions in this and other threads, then why did you spend that money on a new IAC valve?

Anyways, did you double check the new IAC valve? Resistance values, apply battery, etc..etc.. ? Did you push the wiring connector all the way into the IAC valve ? I asked you a hundred times, but did you put back those 3 hoses on the bottom in their correct location ?

I am not familiar with what is going on with your cat temperatures ...

I am not sure if there is a separate fuse just for the IAC wiring.

Regarding the TVV, do you have the vacuum routing diagram on the underside of the hood (where the latch is) ? If not, the top vacuum hose of the TVV usually goes to the throttle body (there are 3 vacuum tubes in line..the one that's closer to the firewall/windshield is the hose that goes to the top part of the TVV). The bottom hose of the TVV goes to the charcoal canister. See the following diagrams:

Are you sure you jumped TE1 and E1 on a warm engine ? When you do this, the engine idle speed should increase for about 5 seconds then drop back down.

On a fully warmed up engine, the idle should be 750 +/- 50 RPM.

Regarding, the TPS, that's a rather delicate sensor...don't clean it or damage it:

Like I said, if you ruled out timing belt/timing, vacuum leaks, EGR issues, then most of the idling problems is caused by the IAC valve. Have you taken a look at the timing belt, vacuum leaks, if EGR plugged up ...etc.. ? Plenty of good topics around here on these issues...do a search!

1996 Camry LE, 4 cylinder (5SFE), Auto Transmission, 195000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I said I had fixed the iac but it failed to improve condition and didn't pass the jumper test so I was convinced that a new one was needed. It didn't pass the test either and runs as before.. And yes I have consulted the photos and info to assure that all vacuum and coolant hoses are connected to their proper locations The previous idea that I could use the car with the fore-mentioned hose disconnected proved wrong and eventually worsened the condition. the update is that I am, obviously, unqualified to continue in this fruitless task. I had my daughter test drive it last night and she told me it was lots better than before but it still struggles to run, in my opinion. I bowed to my last resort and told her to take it to a shop where they had the diagnostic stuff and I'd help her pay for it. I will update this evasive issue when the long-sought answer is found. I am in awe and purely thankful to every single post from you devoted members of this valuable forum in the pursuit of a solution.
#33 Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Official TN Member

Any luck solving the problem?
#34 Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
none and thanks for asking...granddaughter will be trading this piece of uno what in on something more usable like a chevy or ford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)