Upstream Oxygen Sensor - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Upstream Oxygen Sensor

I just completed a water pump. timing belt job on my 2000 Solara V6. I also replaced the valve cover gaskets. The car runs great. I drove it about 30 miles and the check engine light come on. I checked the code and the number 1 bank upstream heated oxygen sensor seems to be the problem. I checked to make sure no wire was shorted and cleared the code. I drove it about another 30 miles and same thing, code set. I then swapped the rear upstream sensor( number 1 ) with the front ( number 2 ) and test drove it again. This time it showed bank 2 which tells me for sure the sensor is bad. I have ordered both upstream sensors from rockauto buying the OEM brand Denso. Will it hurt anything if I drive this car to work as I have no other vehicle to drive until I get the parts? The car runs great, you cannot tell it running it is so smooth. I should have the part in three days. What you think. TD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 PM
mixed bag 'o vehicles

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
you wont have any problems if you drive it for a little while like this. prolonged driving can cause the car to run rich and the cats to go bad with the air/fuel ratio not being perfect, but that would take a while to happen.

#3 Old 01-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think only the upstream sensor is needed for the closed loop to work.
The downstream sensor is just there to make sure your cat is working properly?
#4 Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 PM
BMR
Deputy of Mayberry

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Thanked 1,000 Times in 888 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettosled View Post
you wont have any problems if you drive it for a little while like this. prolonged driving can cause the car to run rich and the cats to go bad with the air/fuel ratio not being perfect, but that would take a while to happen.
^Yup.

1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, now at 367k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 309k
2001 Yamaha FZ1, Ivan's jet kit, resprung, Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech cartridge emulators in forks, 49k
#5 Old 01-14-2013, 04:20 PM
I4 5s-fe 97

I would drive it with no worries. Now if you notice anything strange while driving like idle problems etc than post it up but 3 days is not that big of deal. I wouldn't worry even driving it longer than that if the car is already running smooth.
#6 Old 01-14-2013, 11:08 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies. The part will be here Wednesday and it should be good to go. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)