Toyota Nation Forum banner

IS300 Wheels & Gen3 4-cyl Camrys fitment problem.

34K views 64 replies 35 participants last post by  pgerber7 
#1 ·
It seems that there's a problem with fitment on the Gen3 4-cyl Camrys with IS300 wheels.

My mechanic has confirmed that it wouldn't fit in his 92 4-cyl because of front caliper clearance - basically the 4-cyl front rotors are smaller than the V6 and the caliper brackets also sit closer to the center, therefore resulting the wheels touching the caliper bracket.

There are at least 2 other members here that had confirmed with fitting problems.

Spacers will make them fit, however this is highly not recommended to put spacers on the front wheels for a FWD car. This is a serious safety issue especially if you're using stock bolts together with the spacers.

If anyone who has a 4-cyl that has this problem please report to this thread.

#59 ·
93 4-Cyl w/ ABS

Hey guys, i have some 98 GS300 rims, with 205 55 16 michelins installed. I mounted them yesterday but they rub in the back, and are almost rubbing up front.

What size spacers do y'all recommend I buy. I don't want to use extended bolts.

Thanks for your help. Spacers and wheels are new to me.

#60 ·
Hey guys, i have some 98 GS300 rims, with 205 55 16 michelins installed. I mounted them yesterday but they rub in the back, and are almost rubbing up front.

What size spacers do y'all recommend I buy. I don't want to use extended bolts.

Thanks for your help. Spacers and wheels are new to me.
I have the same 1998 GS300 16” wheels on my 1999 4 cylinder camry and you need to run ⅛” spacers on front and back. I use 205/55/16 tires. When I bought them they had 215/60/16 and I had to use a ¼” spacer on back.

#63 · (Edited)
just did this over the weekend.. lurker here. this is my wife's camry/our winter car... i am a honda guy and store my s2000 in the winter.

looks like we have a 4.5 gen camry.

i need some front end links done (diy guy here) and did the rear last year..

found a set of altezza rims here locally in the toronto area for a really good price with nearly new rubber.

no problems fitting the 17's.. 2001 v6 XLE
rubber is good year JDM non DOT stuff gt eco stage 215/45/17..

i just test fitted them as winter is around the corner.

have to admit there is very little room btw the wheel and the strut.

noob/off topic question. PM please if you can.. is there a rear strut bar for this car? and a front strut bar? 4cyl solara fit? i'd like this car to not be so boaty. --- not going to mess with the rear sway (not worth the $)

cant find any ebay strut bars for this thing...

#64 ·
just did this over the weekend.. lurker here. this is my wife's camry/our winter car... i am a honda guy and store my s2000 in the winter.

looks like we have a 4.5 gen camry.

i need some front end links done (diy guy here) and did the rear last year..

found a set of altezza rims here locally in the toronto area for a really good price with nearly new rubber.

no problems fitting the 17's.. 2001 v6 XLE
rubber is good year JDM non DOT stuff gt eco stage 215/45/17..

i just test fitted them as winter is around the corner.

have to admit there is very little room btw the wheel and the strut.

noob/off topic question. PM please if you can.. is there a rear strut bar for this car? and a front strut bar? 4cyl solara fit? i'd like this car to not be so boaty. --- not going to mess with the rear sway (not worth the $)

cant find any ebay strut bars for this thing...
TRD made a front strut bar. The TRD rear sway bar for the Gen1/1.5 Solara will fit the Camry, and you might still be able to get it brand new for $150. It's well worth the money; otherwise I would just get some good tires if you're looking to improve handling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.