car won't start but cranks - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
car won't start but cranks

hello.

my car is a 99 camry with 2.2l.(around 196k miles)

today when I stopped at an exit after a 20mile highway trip, my car lost its power with full of gas, but cranked.

I pulled it over by hand and parked around the street which was less than 1/2mile from my house.

The symptom is when the key is in the ignition, no light appears, no cel, no odometer light except the air bag light below

I thought that the culprit was the ignition coil and checked the resistance when the engine
was cold. I got 13.78k ohm from the primary coil and 13.88k ohm from the secondary coil.
I know the secondary coil is within the range however the factory manual doesn't say the spec of the primary coil. Is it within the normal range?

#3 spark plug wire is oxidized. can it be a problem?

can it be a fuel pump problem? where is the fuel pump relay? how do I check it?st

car has almost full of gas and battery is good condition, timing belt has not been broken and the radio works well

can you tell me some advice. any advice is welcome

Last edited by smilecow; 06-23-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2013, 08:58 PM
The Tri-Camry Family

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilecow View Post
The symptom is when the key is on the ignition, no light appears, no cel, no odometer light except the air bag light below
Have you check all the fuse? (One behind the coin holder and another beside the battery) Even IF the coils are dead, the gauge should light up with the battery, alternator, check engine warning lights. That's what I would do first.

As for the coil, I'm not sure what's the resistance range. I guess with should be the same as the "secondary coil" since about are the same coils. It's not in the service manual but I check the coils by removing the spark wire from the plug (still connected to the coils) and hold the end near the engine block or valve cover. Have another person start the car and watch if any spark jump from the wire to the block. (be careful from getting shock).

I would check the corrosion from wire three and check for corrosion in the coils. Some people add a dab of dielectric grease to prevent this.

"Yūko" 2001 Camry 5S-FE/A140E @ 111k
"Sandy" 2002 Camry 2AZ-FE/U241E @ 176k
"Chihaya" 2012 Camry 2AR-FE/U760E @ 41K

Last edited by Yuko; 06-23-2013 at 09:34 PM.
#3 Old 06-23-2013, 11:56 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
thank you for your reply.
I fixed the problem. The culprit was the aftermarket alarm system which broke.

I didn't know that non-functioning alarm system could kill electrical system when engine was on. Actually, the remote worked to open and close the doors.

Anyway, my car starts after removing the alarm system
#4 Old 06-24-2013, 01:15 AM
The Tri-Camry Family

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilecow View Post
thank you for your reply.
I fixed the problem. The culprit was the aftermarket alarm system which broke.

I didn't know that non-functioning alarm system could kill electrical system when engine was on. Actually, the remote worked to open and close the doors.

Anyway, my car starts after removing the alarm system
Nice find. Guess that non-functioning alarm was working, sort-of. I had a 95 Camry come in before that wouldn't start or crack. After much searching, it turns out someone installed a kill switch deep under the dash and the new owner accidentally kicked it. lol.

Glad you got it fix.

"Yūko" 2001 Camry 5S-FE/A140E @ 111k
"Sandy" 2002 Camry 2AZ-FE/U241E @ 176k
"Chihaya" 2012 Camry 2AR-FE/U760E @ 41K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)