2001 Camry stalls at idle - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)

3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View denisedaleg1's Photo Gallery
2001 Camry stalls at idle

There have been some threads on this issue but I haven't been able to find an answer to the problem. Car has about 88,000 miles. It started stalling when coming to a stop at a red light or stop sign. throttle position system and idle air control valve was replaced at different times and the problem is still happening. Brought it to an independent mechanic and then a dealer for service. I don't know what to do at this time. The problem has been happening since August. Has anyone had a real fix for this problem?
denisedaleg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $388700
View RonR's Photo Gallery
Which engine?
4cyl or V6

Try shifting to neutral when coming to a stop and see what idle is at, this would help to determine if its an engine idle issue or torque converter issue, assuming it's an automatic trans??

Last edited by RonR; 11-03-2013 at 09:04 AM.
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

It's a V6
Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Computer operated engines are pretty straight forward, people tend to over complicate things when there is a problem.

First, the computer runs a very basic "if/then" software, it doesn't do any "thinking".
1."if" VSS(speed sensor) is 0/"then" check TPS voltage(throttle position)
2."if" TPS voltage is less than 1 volt/"then" check crank position sensor
3."if" crank position sensor(RPM) is higher than 750/"then" close IAC valve
4."if crank position sensor is lower than 750/"then open IAC valve, (loop back to 3.)

The computer relies on sensors to be accurate, and runs basic connection tests but has no way to know if data coming in is correct.
If a sensor doesn't respond or responds with voltage that is out of range then computer will set a code for that, some codes will cause the CEL(check engine light) to come on, some won't if a retest shows OK.
The computer also tests "controls" like the IAC valve, when engine is first started the computer will open the IAC valve all the way, raising RPMs to 1,800+, then it will lower RPMs to pre-set cold or warm idle setting, if IAC doesn't respond this way it will set a code.
The computer stores all these codes in memory whether the CEL comes on or not.
So it is always a good idea to read these "history" codes and then clear them.
The history code may show a problem that is self correcting but is the first sign of a failure coming.
Clearing history and then rereading the codes in a week can tell you more specific areas to look at.

Never swap out sensors or controls, hoping to fix a problem.
TPS is a sensor, it is easy to test with a volt or OHM meter
IAC valve is a control, also easy to test with a volt or OHM meter

Almost every sensor and control can be tested with volt or OHM meter

So do you have a CEL showing while driving?
Does the CEL come on when key is first turned on and then go off?
So bulb is good

Can you stop by an auto parts store and get the codes read for free and then cleared?

I would try the neutral thing, just to see.

Last edited by RonR; 11-03-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

Last week the check engine light came on which was unusual. It also felt like a different kind of stall. The code was for something for the transmission but they said that was a common code for a stall.

My kid is driving this car so 1- I am getting info second hand and 2-I am ready to get rid of that car.

Thanks for you suggestions. I will pass them on and try one last time to get this resolved. If you think of anything else, let me know.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $222000
View capnblinski's Photo Gallery
Try installing new plugs and wires, the ones made by NGK.
capnblinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisedaleg1 View Post
Last week the check engine light came on which was unusual. It also felt like a different kind of stall. The code was for something for the transmission but they said that was a common code for a stall.

My kid is driving this car so 1- I am getting info second hand and 2-I am ready to get rid of that car.

Thanks for you suggestions. I will pass them on and try one last time to get this resolved. If you think of anything else, let me know.
Yes, second hand info probably won't help diagnose a problem on-line.
All dealer shops or independent shops can do is plug in the scanner and look at the codes then "maybe" drive it, and usually never warm it up, lol.
So unless it is an obvious issue they won't find much, but will still charge you for the time.
A bad shop will just start replacing parts hoping to fix it, lol, avoid those places.

But on the bright side there is good resale value on Camry's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (19921996 & 19972001)