OIL Pressure Sender Location - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
OIL Pressure Sender Location

OK, so I have 93 Camry LE 2.2L V4, and I am trying to find out where exactly is the Oil Pressure Sender is located on the 5SFE engine. Just curious as to where exactly it is. Is it on the back of the engine, in the middle? Oil is spraying out like crazy when the car is on. I have a buddy of mine who is a certified mechanic, but we are not entirely sure as to what is causing the leak. We are almost certain the leak is coming from the Oil Pressure Sender. We just want to make sure it is actually the issue before we go and tackle it. Just in case if anyone wants to help out with the oil problem, the oil is spraying out towards the firewall. It's coming from the middle of the engine, and spraying towards the rear of the engine. The leak is spraying between the passenger and driver seats. That is where the oil is spraying towards.

Thanks in advance!

CAR:
1993 Camry LE 2.2 V4

MODS:
N/A

Last edited by pwner5889; 11-29-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
FSM diagram shows an oil pressure switch.
However, it is not at the back of the engine next to the firewall.
It is on the front of the block ... just to the right of the metal heat shield ... where the oil filter is.

So, from your description of the leak ... that would not be the oil pressure switch. ... Must be something else.

What about the knock sensor? ... Can't say for sure though.

98 Camry LE, 2.2L, automatic
54k miles, drop in K&N A/F, ... timing belt, water pump, NSS

Last edited by dc_98_cam; 11-29-2013 at 09:56 PM.
#3 Old 11-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here it is on my 1996 4 cylinder... not sure if it is similar to the 1993 :/

1996 Camry LE, 4 cylinder (5SFE), Auto Transmission, 197100 miles
#4 Old 11-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
3 years can make a huge difference, but I haven't checked where it's at exactly in mine. Does someone here have a 93 with the same engine as mine??

CAR:
1993 Camry LE 2.2 V4

MODS:
N/A

Last edited by pwner5889; 11-30-2013 at 12:35 AM.
#5 Old 11-30-2013, 04:38 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The oil pressure switch/sending unit is in the exact location on my 94 Camry 2.2 liter 4 cylinder.

To the original poster, you have an I-4 engine, not a V-4. Your engine is in an in-line configuration, not a V shaped configuration.

Mike
#6 Old 11-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Senior TN Member

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gerber View Post
The oil pressure switch/sending unit is in the exact location on my 94 Camry 2.2 liter 4 cylinder.

To the original poster, you have an I-4 engine, not a V-4. Your engine is in an in-line configuration, not a V shaped configuration.

Mike
My 92' has the oil pressure switch in the same location as Mike's. So yours should be in the same place.

As dc_98_cam mentioned, your leak is not the oil pressure switch.
#7 Old 12-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
  • Could it be a blown valve cover gasket?
  • I doubt it would be a spray vs an oil leak.
  • Pull the oil filler cap (running) to see if the oil loss is reduced.
If this reduces the leak and it is excessive, check the compression on the Cyls for damage causing blow-by
#8 Old 12-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
The leak is coming from right below the air filter hose, between the air filter hose and the transmission. If that helps any. Just found out last night exactly where it is coming from. Just didn't find out exactly what is causing it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jow View Post

Could it be a blown valve cover gasket?
I doubt it would be a spray vs an oil leak.
Pull the oil filler cap (running) to see if the oil loss is reduced.

If this reduces the leak and it is excessive, check the compression on the Cyls for damage causing blow-by
No, it's spraying out oil.

Here is a picture of the engine I grabbed off of google. I don't have physical access to my car because it is in another town. I had to get a ride home from a family member.

CAR:
1993 Camry LE 2.2 V4

MODS:
N/A

Last edited by pwner5889; 12-01-2013 at 03:07 PM.
#9 Old 12-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I admire your efforts this Day & Time!!! Keep up the good efforts and keep us posted.
#10 Old 12-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
There is no place in that area that could have pressurized oil spraying out. Are you sure it is oil and not coolant or ATF? The valve cover and cam plug can leak back there but, will not spray out.
#11 Old 12-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckoff View Post
There is no place in that area that could have pressurized oil spraying out. Are you sure it is oil and not coolant or ATF? The valve cover and cam plug can leak back there but, will not spray out.
Then I am confused. It is coming from there in that area. Looks like I will have to start popping things out until I get to it..... :-/

CAR:
1993 Camry LE 2.2 V4

MODS:
N/A
#12 Old 12-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Official TN Member

It sure seems like a leak that sprays should be easy to find

If you can't see it, then how do you know it's spraying? Leaks always seep and coat the whole area. Sometimes the wind pushing through the engine compartment blows drips around, but other than coolant, I've never seen a leak spay out. I suppose power steering leaks could spray, but even that tends to just drip.

'98 gold Camry.....172,000 miles
#13 Old 12-10-2013, 04:58 PM
New TN User

Did you find this leak? I am looking for a very similar leak on a '94 camry 4 cylinder. I have replaced the "O" ring on the distributor and the valve cover gasket already - no help. Let me know if you found it - I am headed out to the cold "below freezing" to look for it again tonight. It does seem to spray so i will try looking with the engine revved up.

Update 9:42PM

A couple observations, I hate cold weather car work. I hate oil leaks and the smarter I get the dumber I feel. I found the leak. I think a good flashlight at night is sometimes better for looking at engine problems than a good sunny day. Anyway started the car and looked for a long while at that area of the engine for leaks. I was honing in on a spot below the distributor where the transaxle and block come together. I was really worried it was the head. Then my light caught a drip. I traced that upward to the OIL SENDING UNIT. I revved up the engine and sure enough the oil started dripping at a much faster rate maybe two to three drips per second out of the threads where the unit goes into the block. I suppose at high speed it was spewing or spraying out pretty good and that was the reason for the spray effect I had noticed.

Anyway went to the auto store and picked up some Loctite Red and reinstalled the sending unit. Funny thing was the auto store had the $6.99 tube of Loctite ringing up for only a nickel. Yea so it was a nickel fix. Assuming it’s fixed. Maybe someone was feeling sorry for me. I will wait 24 hours to test, but I am pretty sure that is going to do it. I guess the valve cover gasket and distributor O ring were preventative maintenance.

Last edited by royp; 12-10-2013 at 10:07 PM.
#14 Old 12-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Turns out that was the valve cover gasket. I went and changed that, and I found a hole that is leaking oil near the bottom of the engine on the passenger side firewall. I went underneath the car and could feel a hole in the engine block, I put my fingers through there while the car was running, and could feel hot air blowing inside. Oil is coming out of the hole too. Main reason why so much of it was leaking.

Any recommendations? I never tried to hot rod the car since I bought it. Other than some light revs just to get more oil pressure to help find out where the original leak was coming from. RPMS never reached anything higher than 2K RPM while I was trying to rev it.

CAR:
1993 Camry LE 2.2 V4

MODS:
N/A
#15 Old 12-21-2013, 07:38 PM
抵抗は無駄です

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
a freeze plug popped out?

surprised it was still running without it and with such a massive leak (both oil and air/vacuum) ...

'02 Solara SLE V6 1MZ-FE/A541E@ 142k
'00 Solara SE 5S-FE/A140E @ 92k

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
items For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001)