94 Camry XLE IAT ( Intake Temp Sensor ) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 1992-1996 & 1997-2001 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-22-2005, 03:32 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy 94 Camry XLE IAT ( Intake Temp Sensor )

I went to the Toyota dealer the other day and asked them where the IAT ( Intake Temperature Sensor ) is located on my 94 Camry XLE. One of the Toyota Tech told me that some models the IAT unit is attached to the side of the Air Box and in some camrys the IAT is built in inside the MAF ( Mass Air Flow ) unit. Anyone out there has a camry that has the IAT unit built in the MAF unit? I would like a second opinion thank. Also, they told me, that the MAF unit cost $750. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2005, 06:13 PM
Official TN Member

The 5SFE (I4) is stuck into the side of the airfilter box, it doesn't have a MAF sensor.

I remember that XLE (V6) uses a MAF, but did not know the IAC was internal to it. If so, and the IAC is bad, why not replace it with a fixed resistor of a value of about 65F - 70F for the time being. See how it works while you look for another MAF sensor at a junker.

85 LE 2SE 500K km - died trying to push a semi off the road
95 LE 5SFE 530K km, 530K km changed engine, 549K km second engine died, now 554K Km running with a 98 5SFE block and head
01 XLE V6 310K km
#3 Old 02-22-2005, 08:53 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
You mean use a resistor in place of the MAF unit? I would not know how to do it. I don't want to damage my engine. Thank you for the advice.
#4 Old 02-22-2005, 11:33 PM
Official TN Member

No, just a resistor for the air intake temp sensor, leave the maf unit as is, until you find another,

85 LE 2SE 500K km - died trying to push a semi off the road
95 LE 5SFE 530K km, 530K km changed engine, 549K km second engine died, now 554K Km running with a 98 5SFE block and head
01 XLE V6 310K km

Last edited by 500KCamry; 02-22-2005 at 11:35 PM.
#5 Old 02-23-2005, 06:06 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Well, like I said the IAT is built in inside the MAF unit. There is only one plug that connects to the MAF unit. I believe the IAT is inside of it according to the Toyota Tech. It's impossible to get to the IAT because the MAF and the IAT are both housed in the same unit with one plug going into it. Oh well....thanks anyways.
#6 Old 02-23-2005, 06:56 PM
back again? yeah, i am.

you actually have a MAF on a 4 cyl??? all you need is the IAT, unless in fact you do have a v6 in which case for that price of 750 you could almost buy a new engine

back for the very first time.

-pat
#7 Old 02-23-2005, 07:28 PM
Zzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbe
you actually have a MAF on a 4 cyl??? all you need is the IAT, unless in fact you do have a v6 in which case for that price of 750 you could almost buy a new engine
yeah, wow, I'm surprised no one else caught that.

he has a MAP sensor, and air intake temperature sensor.

-mark

'93 Camry LE (5S-FE)
#8 Old 02-24-2005, 01:07 AM
I'm a Mac

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
what motor????????????

also, what is the point of this whole thing?? is your car not running correctly? why would you even ask about an air temp sensor in the first place?

the way you can test this is to test the voltage at the wire coming from the sensor to the ECU... this pin on the ecu is the THA pin. it should generate 0.5 - 3.4 Volts with the ignition switch on and intake temps around 68 degrees F / 20 C. on 1mz it is the blue/black stripe wire coming from the MAF. on 5sfe it is the blue/black striped wire coming from the Intake air temp sensor. the actual sensor on the 5sfe looks like a piece of black plastic with a 2 pin connector on it, right behind the airbox or in the air box that you can just pull out of a rubber grommet. if you have a 5sfe and need a replacement, go to a junkyard and just grab one and put it in your pocket and leave. if they ask you why you didnt buy anything, tell them that you were just browsing their inventory and you just wanted to see what they had for camry stuff. if you need to replace the MAF from a 1mz, then go to the junkyard and grab a MAF and pay whatever you have to pay for it.

you are welcome for this information, but i would still like to know what your problem is, and which motor....

Last edited by zoni; 02-24-2005 at 01:20 AM.
#9 Old 02-24-2005, 08:12 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the great replies. I have a 94 V-6 XLE Camry with a ( 1mz Engine ) by the way. You guys are so helpful. I will see if I can put one of those MAF in my pocket next time I go to the junk yard hehehe j/k. My original post was I wanted to know if anyone have a Camry with the 1mz engine and where the IAT is located. I do notice that other models have the IAT plug right on the the side of the air box but I can't seem to find it on the 1mz. Thanks again.
#10 Old 02-24-2005, 09:52 PM
I'm a Mac

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
why would you need to know where it was though???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001)