Toyota Nation Forum banner

1995 Camry LE oil light on dash

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  carsrus 
#1 ·
The oil light on my dash came on and would go off under acceleration yesterday so I parked it. Today the light just stays on and is making a weird noise almost like it's knocking but it goes away when you rev the engine. I have a video but don't know how to post it on here? Car has 183k on it. Just changed the oil maybe 900 miles ago. Timing belt and water pump done at 171k with cam crank and oil pump seal.

#2 · (Edited)
If the light is on, you have no oil pressure. That is usually a kiss of death for these engines, they won't tolerate low oil pressure, even for short periods.

Time to crack open the piggy bank and find another engine. Considering you have no oil pressure and a knock (more than likely a rod) it is probably best to find a junkyard engine.

You could pull the oil pan and oil pump to inspect, but given the situation engine trouble is probably inevitable. If you do pull the pan, give each connecting rod a wiggle. Some slight movement parallel with the crankshaft is fine, but there should be zero movement perpendicular. You can also mark each bearing cap, (they have to go on the same rod they came off of, and in the same direction) remove, and look for scoring on the bearings.

G
#3 ·
It sounds like the oil pump is very worn or slightly damaged. It goes away with more revs as the pump spins faster and increases the pressure but at low speeds it obviously cannot keep the pressure up.
If thats 180 000 miles, then it has had a reasonable life, not the longest but not too bad.

#7 ·
Sounds familiar

So I just had this issue occur last week. I was pulling into the parking lot at work when I noticed the oil pressure light flicker. about 30 seconds later the car started making a weird knocking noise that went away during light acceleration. Parked the car and checked the oil and it was fine. when i got off i cranked the car and the knocking was still there and the oil pressure light still flickered and went off when I reved above 1000 rpm. Attempted to drive around the parking lot and the check engine light came on with code P0340 - camshaft position sensor. Few seconds later the car cut off. Long story short had to have the car towed. could anyone chime on this issue? Hoping its not a rod. 240000 miles on 2000 camry 4cyl.

#8 · (Edited)
Still holding onto hope

Hi. I see that no one has replied back. You might want to start a new thread.
But my issue was very similar except that I got the P1705 code which is Direct Clutch Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction . . . which seems similar to your code.
I changed the oil and added the Lucas Oil Additive.
I have now been driving for 1000 miles will no blinking oil pressure light . . . but I still have the engine rattle. This is disappointing because my car runs really well.

EDIT: I ran for about 500 miles with no Lucas and no blinking light.
I then added the Lucas.
So the Lucas probably didn't solve that issue.

#9 ·
yeah looks like we have to drop the pan see if there is any play on the bearings. Sucks cause since I haven't drove it in over a week, my battery died. I still have to replace my timing belt. You might want to see if you could get a compression test somewhere. Even though you light isn't on doesnt necessarily mean its getting enough pressure.

#10 ·
I am having the exact same issue with my car and haven't been able to find anything out . Please keep me posted. My car did the exact same thing a few weeks ago and it's been parked since. Oil light on, motor knocks a bit at idle, rev it up a little no knock. I checked the oil pressure , I'm getting 0psi . Do the oil pumps normally fail like this or what causes the no oil pressure. I am debating changing the pump if I knew that would bring the pressure back but I'd like more info on that first because it doesn't look like a very fun job to swap the oil pump out

#11 ·
....I checked the oil pressure , I'm getting 0psi . Do the oil pumps normally fail like this or what causes the no oil pressure.
I don't think the oil pumps fail to the degree of producing 0 pressure. Probably more likely the oil level got to low and clearances increased from the lack of oil lubrication. Without proper clearances(crank, rods, etc) oil pressure would have a difficult time building. Thats my 2 cents ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.