Toyota Nation Forum banner

a good experience of watching a Tech Clean our 2001 Camry 4 Cyl Idle Control Valve.

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  1jow 
#1 ·
I had a good experience of watching a Tech Clean our 2001 Camry 4 Cyl Idle Control Valve. He showed me that it was full of carbon before he started cleaning the valve. After using some spray cleaner and a scraping tool it looked spotless.

I saw all of what I expected to see except a motor and he explained magnets control the valve to open or close. Not thinking I did not ask his to show me that it would open/close after it was cleaned. I did see him move something freely as he cleaned. I felt I was violating his space but I asked if I could watch him and he was OK with me watching. You could see he knew the process and was quick w/o any wasted time. I could tell it was routine and he was back on his job in progress before asked by the owned if he had time to do the drive-in vs a scheduled cleaning (@60.00. From watching, I could easily repeat the cleaning if needed, which is my mode of learning new processes.

How often or miles are the valves normally cleaned? Should I see any instant changes in the Idle RPM, which was my goal? OR! Will it take a few miles for the computer to re-program after the cleaning?

#2 ·
In my experience it takes 5 or 6 start/shutdown cycles for the ECU to relearn and control idle RPM properly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
1. I saw a very good improvement in our car’s idle rpm today (from approx 600 rpm and rough idle to approx 750 and smoother idle. IMO approx 800 rpm would be the smooth ideal idle but I never documented the GOOD rpm in all the years. ** What is your opinion on what the idle rpm should be in drive and a/c on?

2. I saw one post in reference to an IAC valve being ruined if it was rotated opened/closed while being cleaned. It was a question or challenge that the valve’s Etc should be rotated/moved while cleaning. ** Please explain the proper cleaning method removed from the throttle body that will not cause damage.

Thanks To All And Take Care!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.