Toyota Nation Forum banner

My '93 Camry LE wont start... Anyone know why?

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  deekay140 
#1 ·
I just bought a '93 Camry LE this morning and now it won't start. I test drove it around a for a while Firday and I drove it to the bank and to my house today and all the sudden I went outside, happy about buying my first car, and now it wont start. The person I bought it from said that the spark plug wires may need to be replaced, but thats the only thing he said needs to be fixed on it and he was an honset dealing man... And I cant get it serviced by AAA cuz it has no tags and for that same reason, along with it not starting, I cant take it to a mechanic.

When I try to start it it turns over and the car comes on, but it jus won't start. The battery light, oil light, and check engine light comes on but thats with every car when you start it, but after those turn off the engine light stays and the car is still struggling to start. The car is in great condition though and it already passed the Maryland state inspection. Also, my dad has a '97 LE that sometimes does the same but it eventually starts if you put your foot on the gas, or just keep trying.

But does anyone have an idea whats up with my car???

#2 ·
It may very well be the plug wires or cap and rotor. My fox had a rapidly declining condition with the ignition a while back to where it wouldn't start with it humid or when it was super hot outside. I replaced plugs, then cap/rotor, and it wouldn't help. Dropped the $50 on wires and fixed it. The terminals were corroded inside and I imagine the wires inside were also corroded to the point of not having continuity.

Is it a 4cyl or 6cyl motor?

#5 ·
Just got my 92 LE revived. :whatwhat: Found out our Camrys have a tendency to need a new ECT-engine coolant temp- sensor. Also the distributor o-ring tires out over time and slowly seeps oil on/in the cap area and in my case, saturating the coil to its slow death.

It may not be the exact solution to your problem, but start simple. Battery/connections, plugs/wires, cap/rotor, fuel filter. Test the ECT sensor for conductivity.

Do a search like "starting problems", there's a lot of great info from the cool people in this club that have shared their problems/solutions for us all to learn from.
If I can scope and repair a problem like I had-anyone can.:hammer: If you have the time and tools try it yourself, it's a tremendous feeling of accomplishment. :D If you are able to--try it! HTH, just my $.02 :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.