Toyota Nation Forum banner

Transmission Problem, O/D off blinking

16K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  ozgurgokay 
#1 ·
I purchased and driving my 1999 Camry 3.0 V6 for 2 weeks. I have changed the transmission fluid with Dexron 3 type. Nowadays, when the engine is cold there is no warning but after the engine warms (after 3-4 minutes), O/D off light starts to blink. The problems are also as follows:
- There is no problem about shifting all gears, the only problem is shifting from 3rd gear to 4th gear feels hard or rough.
- Even the car is driven at full throttle (kick-down), gear shiftings (from 1st to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear) occur at around 4000 rpm.

I did not do any diagnostic operations. What can I do first, now ? What may be the problems ?

Thanks.

#2 ·
I would see if there are codes stored in the ECU. I'm not sure if the blinking O/D will also mean there are codes stored for the transmission (I assume Check engine light is off). O/D blinking indicates usually a solenoid or wiring issue with the transmission.

#3 ·
Probably a bad shift solenoid, they are easy to change although you have to drop the pan...

I had a No 2 solenoid error for >5yrs and one day it went, with OD off flashing, shifting went wonky, put in a spare I'd got at the Picknpull ($0, pocket sized ;) ) and it was good to go.

#11 ·
Solenoid is underneath the transmission filter. You'll have to drop the transmission pan, transmission filter and the solenoid should be there. At least that was how my Cressida was.

How are you getting the O/D codes again? I recall getting the codes for an ODB I system requires jumping the diag box and the check engine light AND O/D light will begin blinking. If there are codes store, it will blink in a certain pattern.

ODB II system you are not able to read any engine or transmission codes without and ODB II reader, correct?

Reactions: Stillrunning
#17 ·
Hi everyone,
After some time I have solved my problem of blinkind o/d off light. This was due to "Turbine speed sensor" and now everything is good but I have just one remaining and difficult to solve problem. When the engine & transmission is cold, gear shiftings are normal, however when it warms up to normal operation temperature, "gear shiftings from 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 " are very harsh/rough.
** There are no trouble codes stored. By the way, I have changed the transmission oil and filter.
This problem may be caused by solenoid(s), but I need to know which solenoid(s) in the transmission box ?
Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.