Toyota Nation Forum banner

RIPP MODIFICATIONS 5sfe SDS platform

9K views 68 replies 15 participants last post by  Zviator 
#1 ·
All of you 5sfe owners who would be interested in a up to 100whp bolt on system check this out. RIPP MODIFICATIONS INC. of Staten Island has put together a SDS (supercharger drive system) which includes
Vortec Blower
• HKS AFR (Fuel controller)
• RC Engineering 270cc Injectors
• HKS Adjustable Mondo Bypass Valve
• Auto XRAY OBDII Code reader and eraser
• Rising rate fuel pressure regulator
• Adjustable boost levels
• Upgradeable performance levels
• 2 Part 15 page Illustrated Instructions
• Easy install
• Polished oil cap
Which is up to a 100whp bolt on system, they have also fabricated a custom header for the 5sfe. So listen if you're at all interested please check out the following web site for further information www.rippmods.com and if you are further interested then you can call ripp mods and talk to Ross the owner. If you have any further questions just call RIPP and talk to the guys. Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
All of you 5sfe owners who would be interested in a up to 100whp bolt on system check this out. RIPP MODIFICATIONS INC. of Staten Island has put together a SDS (supercharger drive system) which includes
Vortec Blower
• HKS AFR (Fuel controller)
• RC Engineering 270cc Injectors
• HKS Adjustable Mondo Bypass Valve
• Auto XRAY OBDII Code reader and eraser
• Rising rate fuel pressure regulator
• Adjustable boost levels
• Upgradeable performance levels
• 2 Part 15 page Illustrated Instructions
• Easy install
• Polished oil cap
Which is up to a 100whp bolt on system, they have also fabricated a custom header for the 5sfe. So listen if you're at all interested please check out the following web site for further information www.rippmods.com and if you are further interested then you can call ripp mods and talk to Ross the owner. If you have any further questions just call RIPP and talk to the guys. Thanks

Six years later!!! Damn this would be dope... :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Well, there is an alternative. It's not a 3sgte swap, not a 5sfe/3sgte home made hybrid system either. It's a 50 state legal universal turbo kit. I think it's about the best system I've ever seen. Combine this system with some engine work, and there could be the potential for some decent numbers. I4, and V6 alike.

Check it out...
http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_system

I first saw it on the show Gears on the Speed channel, and the episode of Trucks that they have a clip of on the STS website. I'm even thinking that the CT-26 turbo I have(from my attempt to cobble together a kit for my I4) could be adapted to the system. Hmmm...the possibilities...

#10 · (Edited)
No you wouldn't. The Universal kit replaces the muffler. The turbo sit where the muffler would be, and shoots the air back toward the engine. Every part of the exhaust remains the same except for the muffler. The manifold, converters, O2 sensors all stay right where they are. the intake system remains the same too, except for the piping coming from the turbo. That's what makes the system 50 state legal.

Here are a some vids of the system...

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwdm0q3Uqlk

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=cGLlUiI6prA

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=xnFA93_U9hY

This vid explains perfectly how the system works...

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=3SN32K3KqUE

#7 ·
The universal turbo is definitely a cool concept... but the fact that a used ripp mods carger would probably be 100 times easier and innexpensive is very very tempting.

My performance goals are just about done after I do my suspension though, I MIGHT try to find a 5spd S54, and swap it in, but that's a big might.

No one heard anyone with the RM SDS though??

#8 ·
Dammit guys this is pissing me off, you want 5s-fe performance? Build your own damn turbo kit it ISNT that hard.

You will be disappointed with the power compared to the money you spend, stop posting useless "I wish I had this" threads, it's a damn Camry for Christ's sake.

#19 ·
Dammit guys this is pissing me off, you want 5s-fe performance? Build your own damn turbo kit it ISNT that hard.

You will be disappointed with the power compared to the money you spend, stop posting useless "I wish I had this" threads, it's a damn Camry for Christ's sake.

Still got at least 3 years until I graduate, and until then I am not going to be making much $$$, so modding my camry is really all I can do for now.

And all I want to do.

I'll look into this turbo kit that uni has suggested, but the RIPP is definitely a good idea as well.

#12 ·
I've personally seen 3 vehicles sporting STS setups. A C6, a Magnum Hemi, and a Charger Hemi.
Their biggest complaints? Instead of waiting .5-1 second for boost to come, sometimes it can take as long as 1-2 seconds to get benefit. I'd pin that on how far the exhaust as to travel then how far the intake charge has to travel. HOWEVER- all 3 said the power gained was fantastic, you just need to be extra-patient lower down.
I've also noticed a longer Blow-off period with them. Evacuating 20 feet of pressurized pipe versus 10 feet would likely be the cause there.

Not to mention the sleeper effect of it. Keep the turbo tucked up, someone pops your hood and thinks... Wait, it looks stock other than the piping run down into the bumper... Must be a CAI. Then you spank them hard and fast. lol

It is a "Camry for Christ's sake" but anyone can say they wish they had something. Sometimes its a hollow statement, but sometimes thats the start of a project. Don't diss on someone for wishing.

And yes, it is old news. But still cool news.

#21 ·
Typrus, you are a rare breed my friend, and I am thinking exact along the lines of you.

I've searched and searched and it is VERY hard to find good solid info on this setup!!!

But the STS turbo deal sounds ridiculously cool, and the stage 1 kit is less than $1,500 which ain't bad at all.. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
Been here too long and seen too many "projects" start up, I'm sure I am not the only person tired of seeing these threads.

#22 ·
Listen man, I announced no plans of starting a project. I just wanted to see if anyone has these setups still, and/or just talk and learn about it.

And for the ubteenth time, I've searched my ass off on this, but the S/C is not easy to come by with info!

I'm sorry for the frustration of the guys that start a project and can't finish, or aren't serious about it and just disappoint everyone, I get that!

#23 ·
turbo > sc anyways

anyone who was gonna put that much money into a camry might as well go turbo anyways, one of the many reasons why this never survived

#24 · (Edited)
agreed, the only way to go with the 5sfe is turbo. but from what i hear. most of these kits reside with the celica and MR2 people.

however, as cool of an idea as it is it would be uber foolish to even get one if they were avalible since the stock 1mz can be had with the money spend on the SC kit, or an entire V6 camry with the current car and the money for the RIPP kit. and the real bitch is that its just as fast if not faster then a rippmods charged 5sfe camry(depending on boost). id get one only because its different if i really wanted one.

#26 ·
well definatly talk to thoes who are going turbo, since there arent any turbo now. STS wouldnt be good with the 5s since there is PLENTY of room under the hood and you can use the 3sgte manifold anyways. talk to RichieRichJP, his build is goin fairly well and hes serious about finishing.

#28 · (Edited)
STS wouldnt be good with the 5s since there is PLENTY of room under the hood and you can use the 3sgte manifold anyways.
That's not a good option for those of us who live in Cali. Any modification to the to the exhaust system under the hood(i.e. headers, cat removal/relocation, O2 sensor relocation) is illegal, and the car wouldn't pass smog check visual inspection. The same holds true for the RIPP kit. It wouldn't pass the visual inspection, and the RIPP kit isn't 50 state legal while the STS kit is.

To top it all off, the complete STS kit is easy to get a hold of. Adapting a 3sgte turbo system will require either a custom downpipe, or a custom engine mount, and you'll still end up needing injectors, little nuts, bolts, clamps, new manifold gaskets, turbo gaskets, and the list will go on, and on just to bring it all together.

The STS system really is the best option, and just about any turbo can be easily adapted to the system because of where it's mounted. The STS kit also comes with a warrenty. If any part of the 3sgte system breaks, you can't contact the manufacturer for replacement parts. You'll just be shit out of luck.

#29 · (Edited)
true, california = FAIL. but i would think it will cost more in the long run. all the same 5sfte(5sgte) engine and fuel modifications PLUS a turbo that will work with the loss caused by legnth of tubing, extra money spent on running oil lines and such to the back of the car and then custom install. even if it all comes in the kit. all and all the only correct way to do it would be to not do it at all. but whats the fun in that.

#33 ·
The STS sounds like a cheap, decent option to go for at this point. Everything I'm reading on it sounds very applicable.

Dude, I got a response to an email I sent to STS. They said there is a dealer/installer here in SoCal. Maybe we should meet up there and ask them a few questions about the system.

Here's the response STS sent me...

We have a great dealer in your area that can help you with the purchase

And installation of a STS kit.

Street Tuning and Dyno has installed many bolt on STS kits and

fabricated some Universal kits too .

They have Factory Trained Techs for many makes, and are a top notch

dealer for STS for over 3 years.

Please contact Street Tuning and Dyno and ask for Joe .

Or check thier webite http://ladyno.com.

Or contact Me directly.

Street Tuning and Dyno ,

4983 Firestone Blvd

South Gate, Ca 90280

Joe Loftus
Channel Sales
joe@ststurbo.com
801-224-3477 ext. 802 or toll free 1-866-938-8726

#32 · (Edited)
As long as all of the original hoses are connected to the CAI you shouldn't have a problem. But, I always reinstall my stock air box system when I go for a smog check just to be on the safe side.

#40 · (Edited)
well im courious to see how or if it will work. why not V6 it THEN STS turbo it? then youd actually be getting your money's worth:thumbsup:.

post back when ya find out, not that im interested but it sounds like it may be another option for the FI 5s. so its at least worth getting teh installer/dealer's opinion on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.