Timing Belt Failure - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003) Toyota Camry Discussion for years 1992-1996 & 1997-2001, as well as Solara discussion for years 1999-2003. Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 06-11-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Timing Belt Failure

Hi Everyone, I have a huge problem and I need opinions. I have a 2001 Toyota Camry CE with the 4 cylinder dual overhead cam engine. The timing belt failed yesterday. I was doing 30 MPH down a city street and it let go. The car suddenly lost all power and I was able to coast off the road into a parking lot where I called a tow truck to take the car to a shop. Unfortunately it is a small shop with a few technicians and they move slowly and it will probably be tomorrow before the car is repaired. I just got off the phone with the Manager and he said the repair is going OK but he asked me if I know what an "interference engine" is which I didn't but I do now since I did some research here. The Manager is now telling me there could be major damage to the engine because of the timing belt failing. If this is the case I am in big trouble. Coming up with the $800 the shop wants to fix just the timing belt is going to hurt me badly and I don't have thousands for a new head or a new engine.

When the timing belt failed it didn't make any noises the car just lost all power. Can anyone guess what the likelihood there is major engine damage? What is the history with this engine when a timing belt goes? If the engine is blown all I can do is walk away from the car and get a junker for $500 or so. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 06-11-2017, 04:30 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
5SFE engine is non interference engine. You should have no damage.
97trophy and betaerror like this.
post #3 of 46 Old 06-11-2017, 04:47 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
^ This, and I can vouch for it, mine has broken before and all was fine.

Side note, the shop manager should have been able to easily look up whether it is interference or non-. I realize it may be too late so I don't mean to be a bugger if so, but $800 is pretty steep for the 4 cylinder engine.

-Andy

'98 Camry CE 2.2 manual ~287k
'90 Camry DX 2.0 auto ~225k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 06-11-2017, 05:11 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
I have my doubts about a repair shop that needs to ask you if you know what an interference engine is.
JohnGD, 97trophy, hilux30 and 1 others like this.

1995 Camry Wagon LE. 2.2 5S-FE, Auto, 233K
post #5 of 46 Old 06-11-2017, 05:48 PM
short-throw dipstick

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Manager is wrong, as said, it's a non-interference engine. $800 is a good price, make sure they do the cam, crank, and oil pump seals with it as those are easily accessible when doing a timing belt job.

Also make sure to use decent parts...most shops won't let you bring your own parts, but the Aisin kit TKT-002 that includes the OEM components (including the water pump w/housing) is below $100 from most sources. Something specific: Gates water pumps are garbage (but they make a good timing belt).

And my personal preference: don't let them do something lame like use a bead of RTV as timing cover gasketing. Shell out the $30 at the dealer for a set of the OEM foamy material, it works much better. Almost every one I've pulled apart has a bead of gray silicone that has ripped apart and let in water and dirt.
O_loung1 and M in KC like this.

95 Camry 5S-FE 170k
00 Camry 5S-FE 187k
01 ES300 151k
01 Insight 137k
08 STS-V 67k
post #6 of 46 Old 06-11-2017, 06:26 PM
イリジウム

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Thanked 1,128 Times in 1,058 Posts
Supreme Member
Exactly! Makes it sound like he's got a boat payment coming up. Hope he doesn't try anything unscrupulous.

For $800 IMO OP should be getting a whole deal including pump, pulleys and seals. The standard labor time is IIRC 3 hrs for the belt, do the math.

^ right, don't use Gates pump. Use Aisin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillrunning View Post
I have my doubts about a repair shop that needs to ask you if you know what an interference engine is.
post #7 of 46 Old 06-11-2017, 06:49 PM
BMR
Sheriff of Mayberry

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,431 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
^+1 to what they all said.

It's very worrisome that they either don't know it's a non-interference engine, or they're trying to snow you into a head rebuild.

2015 RAV4 Limited, AWD, tech pkg, Barcelona red metallic, 32k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 355k
1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, totaled at 384k miles
post #8 of 46 Old 06-11-2017, 09:21 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightbrewery View Post
Manager is wrong, as said, it's a non-interference engine. $800 is a good price, make sure they do the cam, crank, and oil pump seals with it as those are easily accessible when doing a timing belt job.

Also make sure to use decent parts...most shops won't let you bring your own parts, but the Aisin kit TKT-002 that includes the OEM components (including the water pump w/housing) is below $100 from most sources. Something specific: Gates water pumps are garbage (but they make a good timing belt).
Agree with insightbrewery...it is non-interference engine...a timing belt letting go will not cause internal damage. Also, an $800 price tag should include all that is mentioned in above quote by the poster. With a place asking me about it being an interference engine, I'd be a little leary of them doing the job.

The Stable:
'99 Solara (daily driver)
'00 Camry (adult daughter's)
'03 Avalon
'04 Avalon (wife's)
'05 Solara (adult son's)
'01 Silverado
post #9 of 46 Old 06-11-2017, 10:10 PM
BonesandFeathers

Location: southern california betwen Disneyland and Downtown L.A.
Supreme Member
parts are $200 retail and if you are paying more than four hundred. Out the door..ask for diner and a kiss first...There are places out here that do a belt and pump for $200..
Paul in L..A..
post #10 of 46 Old 06-12-2017, 02:40 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightbrewery View Post

And my personal preference: don't let them do something lame like use a bead of RTV as timing cover gasketing. Shell out the $30 at the dealer for a set of the OEM foamy material, it works much better. Almost every one I've pulled apart has a bead of gray silicone that has ripped apart and let in water and dirt.
Agree that Gates WP's suck but, imo, Gates TB's also suck unless you get one made in Japan at the Unitta JV plant.
post #11 of 46 Old 06-12-2017, 02:57 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had the same thing happen to me last week. The shop was able to turn the engine by hand before taking it apart to make sure it was ok. I had the timing belt replaced and it runs fine now. If the car is otherwise in good shape I would definitely fix it.
post #12 of 46 Old 06-12-2017, 03:10 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This guy wants to fleece you. He asked you what he did in order to find out if you know that your engine is intact.

Here in France a TB change costed 200 euro in 2011 just for the labour, the parts came extra.

Tell him you don't have that much money to burn and ask if you can provide the belt kit.
post #13 of 46 Old 06-12-2017, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Well everyone it is official, I have pretty much been taken advantage of and it will cost me probably $2,000 to fix a car that is only worth $1,000. I do want to thank everyone for their answers and I do feel better about the engine in the Camry but I just got off the phone with the service manager at the shop (the "F") word and the told me they are going to nickel and dime me to death. The timing belt only includes the belt and water pump and nothing else. According to the guy I talked to unless they are falling apart the shop re-uses the tension and idler pullies and they do not replace any of the seals so I guess I am royally hosed.

All of the good and reccommended car shops in my area are family owned and closed on Saturday and Sunday and my car died on Saturday morning and I was stuck. I have dealt with the shop I mentioned above and so far they have been pretty good and a lot cheaper than the Toyota dealer. The long and short of it is I am flat broke from a horrible and costly divorce, I work a shit job I hate that just barely pays the bills, and I drive a piece of junk car because it is all I can afford. I am 60 years old and everyone has been telling me these will be the best years of my life and I am still waiting for them to get here.
post #14 of 46 Old 06-12-2017, 09:29 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm really sorry to hear that. I guess the only thing you can do now is contact the BBB and maybe your state attorney general. Hopefully your camry will take care of you for awhile now and things will turn around. Best of luck!
post #15 of 46 Old 06-12-2017, 09:43 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyGuy100 View Post
I have pretty much been taken advantage of
Can't you tow the car to another shop?

1995 Camry Wagon LE. 2.2 5S-FE, Auto, 233K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 3rd & 4th Gen (1992-1996 & 1997-2001)/1st Gen Solara (1999-2003)