Toyota Nation Forum banner

2006 Camry 4 cyl timing belt?

17K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  hardtopte72 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have been told that the 06 Camry does not have a timing belt but instead has a chain. The owners manual says to replace the belt so now I wonder which it really has. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Longone

#12 ·
This explanation is not on track with a timing "belt" that I was asking about. I was not talking about accessories, a/c, ps, alt, etc. I asked about a timing belt and if my year vehicle had a belt or chain. The mod responded several times with cap letters as if I were blind and even went as far as to change a post, #7 .

Perhaps if the mod looked before he leaped we would not be having this conversation. It's perfectly clear that the mod didn't know that there was such a thing as a timing "belt", no big deal, I never said I knew everything either. In fact that is why I stopped by here, to gain knowledge. I got plenty, now dtownfb feels the need to underline and go bold. Excellent, great jobs boys.

Longone

#4 ·
The TIMING CHAIN is INTERNAL and connects/coordinates the internal operation of the engine (crankshaft, camshaft, valves etc) and it is NOT a maintenance item that ever needs to be replaced...it rarely breaks...

#5 ·
Timing "belts" not chains are used in some Toyota vehicle engines to maintain the correct valve timing. The term interference engine comes into play when the "belt" breaks and the valves contact the pistons causing severe engine damage.
Belts were used on many mfg. vehicles in place of "chains" to help reduce engine noise, and I'm sure cost was also a factor. If you believe that only "chains" were used I would suggest that you call or stop by your auto parts store or dealership and ask about them. I'm not making this up, and as a side note I have actually replaced some in my younger years as a mech for Ford.
The belt is of the cogged type not the common "v" belt or serpentine type.
Longone

#11 ·
Let me try Kitacamry.

Longone - your 2006 4 cylinder Toyota Camry has a timing chain, just like my 2006 Camry 4 cyl. LE. Toyota switched from a timing belt (which needs to be changed as part of regular maintenance) to timing chain (which never needs to be changed) with the 2002 model year for the 4 cylinder engines.

As kitacamry stated, the belt they are referring to change is the accessory belt which powers the compressor, alternator, etc. Like he mentioned, you can see it on the left side of the engine. Kitacamry gave you accurate and correct information in all the responses. Remember you asked the question because you didn't know; he gave you correct information but yet you continued to doubt him. Why? I'm not sure.

#13 · (Edited)
I have been told that the 06 Camry does not have a timing belt but instead has a chain. The owners manual says to replace the belt so now I wonder which it really has. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Longone
I'd like to point out to OP that I was referring to this part of the initial post, "the owner's manual says to replace the belt"...that my comment related to this "belt", the external accessory belt...and that I am aware that some engines have an internal timing belt.

#19 ·
WOW!!!!

I will expand on what dtownfb stated.

OP your 2006 2.4 Liter 4 Cylinder 2AZFE Camry has a Timing Chain. The Timing Chain on this car is used to regulate the opening of the intake and exhaust valves relative to crankshaft position by connecting the camshaft gears to the crankshaft timing gear. When the crankshaft turns, the gear connected to the crankshaft turns. This turning of the crankshaft timing gear turns the camshaft gears which are connected to it via a timing chain. The chain drive is immersed in oil behind an aluminum front timing chain cover and uses a hydraulic ratchet type timing chain tensioner and plastic chain guides. There is no service interval for the timing chain. The 2AZFE is an interference engine like most Toyota timing chain and a few Toyota timing belt engines.

In addition to the timing chain, your engine has an ACCESSORY DRIVE BELT which is positioned in front of the aforementioned timing cover and connects the crankshaft drive pulley to the external accessory pulleys (water pump, alternator, power steering pump).

As for which Camry vehicles had timing belts and chains this should help:

All 1985-2001 Camry 4 Cylinder Engines (2S-ELC, 3S-FE, 5S-FE) have a timing belt
All 1988-2006 Camry 6 Cylinder Engines (2VZ-FE, 3VZ-FE, 1MZ-FE, 3MZ-FE) have a timing belt
All 2002-2015 Camry 4 Cylinder Engines (2AZ-FE, 2AR-FE, 2AZ-FXE, 2AR-FXE) have a timing chain
All 2007-2015 Camry 6 Cylinder Engines (2GR-FE) have a timing chain

Expaning further, the 3.3 Liter 3MZ-FE V6 Highlander Hybrid was the last Toyota engine to have a timing belt and that engine was replaced for 2011 with the 3.5 Liter 2GR-FXE V6 hybrid engine.

Prior to that, the Sequoia and Tundra with the 4.7 Liter 2UZ-FE V8 were the only remaining vehicles to have timing belt, and those engines were replaced in 2010 with the 4.6 Liter 1UR-FE V8. Currently, Toyota does not produce any engines with timing belts.

Kitacam answered your question exactly. His use of caps lock was only help make the point more clear. You failed to make the connection between your own question and his response that answered them.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.