Toyota Nation Forum banner

2005 camry, key comes out of ignition while driving

8K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Adeyemi 
#1 ·
hey ya'll, I need some assistance. I have a 2005 Camry LE, 4 cyl with manual trans. I was driving down the road yesterday and while I was driving the key came out of the ignition! thankfully my vehicle did not stall and I could easily put the key back in with no issues. vehicle still starts, runs, ign cylinder turns just fine, everything with no problems. key just freely comes out of the ignition with the engine running. im going to assume this is not normal for Toyota. I know it isn't for GM vehicles.

im not a master technician but I did go to school for auto technologies and I have a fair knowledge of vehicle repair. im thinking the issue is in the ignition switch? but I haven't had time to sit down and run my own diagnostics yet. I was curious if anyone else has come across the same issue and if so, how did you go about fixing it? im concerned that if I leave it later down the road it'll cause other issues that will start to become expensive....

#3 ·
'preciate the advice. it'll be a couple weeks before I can have a key made but i'll definitely start with that. when I bought the car a couple months ago they only gave me the one key so whether or not it works, I could use the spare. let ya know if it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.