Change Spark plugs on V6 GEN5 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-12-2006, 12:52 AM
2002 Camry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Gen5 Change Spark plugs on V6 GEN5

Hi

How do I change spark plugs on a 2002 Camry V6? Can someone give me some detailed instructions on this? I know normally changing a spark plugs on most cars, older cars any way, is an easy process, but for the Camry 2002, I dont know where to begin and I don't want to screw up anything. So please help. If you have detailed instructions, what tools needed, and what to watch out for, that would be great. I have 110 km's on my car, but I think it's 160km before you change the spark plugs, but I figure I would get better performance and gas mileage if I change it now.

Thanks!

2006 4Runner Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Official TN member

2nd Generation Gen2 Camry plenum / air intake removal points for back plug access

I am assuming that your Camry has a transverse V6 like our Gen2 1990 one does and that the reason you are asking this is because of the hidden back 3 plugs.

I have heard people say they can reach the back plugs without doing it, but I have found that removing the plenum/air intake made it the easiest for me. I know your car is much newer than mine and things will more than likely be different for you, but here is what I do to remove the plenum on mine (now that I have done it a couple of times and labeled all the connections with colored tape I can do it in like 45 minutes off / 45 minutes back on).

I have to disconnect (along with sizes of sockets/wrenches needed on mine):

Backside of plenum (middle area of rear)
12mm 2 EGR mounting bolts
14mm 1 Back plenum anchor (near lift point)
Vacuum 1 Medium vacuum line at middle rear of plenum

Passenger end of plenum
12mm 1 Bolt for passenger side grounding wire
12mm 1 Nut for passenger side grounding strap
12mm 1 Bolt for passenger side wiring bundle support (bottom area)
12mm 1 Fuel line bolt on passenger side
Spring 1 Fuel line electrical connection
12mm 1 Fuel line support bracket (bolts to pass side of plenum)
Vacuum 2 Small vacuum lines at passenger end of plenum
Vacuum 1 Medium vacuum line at passenger end of plenum
Vacuum 1 Big vacuum line at back corner near motor lift point

Working toward front side
14mm 1 Bolt for motor mount support arm on top edge of plenum (2 at base to loosen)

Front side, middle area
10mm 1 Bolt for throttle cable bracket (on middle leg of plenum)
14mm 4 Plenum mounting bolts(2) and nuts(2)
12mm 1 Nut to release throttle cable at first point
14mm 1 Nut to release throttle cable at second point
Vacuum 1 Big vacuum line from underneath plenum (from PCV)
Vacuum 1 Little vacuum line from underneath plenum (from PCV)

Driver side, air intake duct area
Hose 1 Line to plenum from front cylinder bank (EGR connection)
Hose 1 Small coolant line under air intake end of plenum
Vacuum 5 Small vacuum lines at "tree" of them, air intake end of plenum
10mm 2 Clamps to secure duct from air intake to plenum
Hose 1 Large hose from air intake duct to plenum
Hose 1 Medium hose from air intake duct to plenum
Vacuum 1 Small vacuum line, joins plenum to canister below master cylinder
Vacuum 1 Medium vacuum hose in front of gray electrical connection
Connection 1 Gray electrical connection near air intake end of plenum
Connection 1 Black electrical connection near air intake end of plenum
12mm 1 Bolt for driver side wiring bundle support (hidden under gray elec. conn.)
14mm 1 Back plenum anchor (next to wiring bundle support)
#3 Old 04-12-2006, 12:53 PM
TN Pussy Man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
download the manual for the gen5 and it should have it in there.... (I haven't looked through it completely yet) and if not, then download the gen3 manual and look in there- it's basically the same engine, and it's as detailed as it gets. beyond that, only hands on experience will make a difference

and I agree with the above...I didn't even try to reach around back, I just took the plenum off and did it that way- a shitload of work for just changing 3 plugs though if you ask me

not that this thread really helps too much, but it was my experience on me taking off the damn thing to do my plugs: http://toyotanation.com/forum/t98305.html

HaHa

"Life is a deep sleep, of which love is the dream..."
Ripped...and the girls are loving it.
#4 Old 04-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Official TN member

2nd Generation

You are right Eye, it is a lot of effort for three plugs. But, like you, I would rather fool with 45 minutes taking mine off and another 45 to put it back (which I can do and see without losing any skin or damaging anything) than to endure even 20 minutes of blindly killing myself reaching/scraping/fumbling and possibly even messing something up - I do not even see how the extended end of the spark plug boot could come out from under the plenum - I have to maneuver it a little bit even with it off.

EDIT - Just in case someone reads this and does not notice where I mention having my lines labeled above - LABEL your lines - even if just strips of masking tape with numbers/letters - there are too many connections to just have them memorized - I have different colored electrical tape on mine that is permanent marking (I hope).

Last edited by tracyf; 04-12-2006 at 01:03 PM.
#5 Old 04-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Moving Forward

or jsut get a six inch extension and a couple of 3 inche extensions with a wobble spark plug socket and climb on top of the engine and take them out. I can do all 6 plugs on my 94 V6 in about 30-45 minutes and I dont remove anything except the coil packs. IT can be done but you may have to do some contortionist moves to get it done.

Chris

PLEASE DO NOT GET RID OF THE OLD TN AS WE KNOW IT.
#6 Old 04-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Official TN member

2nd Generation

I believe you Chris, but I honestly cannot visualize the long extension of the spark plug wire being pulled straight out with the plenum on - maybe it is just my lack of coordination LOL
#7 Old 04-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Moving Forward

well mine is a 1MZ engine and not the 2VZ engien so there is some difference between them.

That is why you need a couple of extensions. you use the 6" then stack two 3" on top of it. ONce you get the plug loose you take the top 3" extension off so you can pull the plug out with the two remaining ones. Yeah I know it is a bunch of extensions and all of taht but like I said I can do it in 30-45 minutes that way or a couple of hours pulling the plenum and hoping that everything goes back the way it is supposed to and that none of the vacuum hoses break or the wiring connectors break. Especially as the cars get older and all of those things become more brittle due to the heat buildup under the hood.

Chris

PLEASE DO NOT GET RID OF THE OLD TN AS WE KNOW IT.
#8 Old 04-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Official TN member

2nd Generation

I get what you are saying about the extension of the rachet/socket - but what I mean is I do not hardly see how the extension (long plastic part that goes into the spark plug tube) that is at the end of the spark plug wires and part of the wires can be pulled straight out from beneath the plenum. I know if you say it can be done then it can - but I am a bit spoiled and if I can do a longer amount of easier work then I will opt for it in a minute. I have everything labeled to where I would have to be drunk to mix up the connections - and I am very gentle with electrical connections for the exact reason you mentioned. I take my hat (if I had one on) off to you for being able to do it without removing plenum and for having the patience to do it that way especially. Take care and God bless
#9 Old 04-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Official TN Member

3rd Generation

I did mine just 2 days ago (94 V6 XLE) without removing the manifold. 90 minutes and many scratches and abrasions later.... I think the next time will be faster/easier now that I've done it. There was a good thread that had instructions here -->

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t71666.html

You don't need the Facom tools, but definitely the wobbles, extensions, and of course the plug socket.

I may not have to do the next plug change now that I picked up my 2007 V6 XLE .

--- Procrastination ---
"Hard work pays off over time, but laziness always pays off now."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)