Changing / Flushing Transmission Fluid in 2003 Camry - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-01-2006, 08:35 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA Changing / Flushing Transmission Fluid in 2003 Camry

Hello,

I've got a 2003 Camry that I need to change the and/or flush the transmission fluid in. I know the fluid is a bit burnt but it doesn't look too bad!

Someone told me that I just need to drop the pan, let it drain, replace gasket and pan and refill. Is that accurate, and complete?

Thanks,

:b!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-01-2006, 12:39 PM
New TN User

Dropping the pan will only replace a couple quarts out of the 8 quarts or so that are in the system. If you do enough drain and refills you will eventually change out all of the fluid. Personally, I just do a flush every couple years and have had no problems.
#3 Old 05-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Prepare tortilla chips.

The trans fluid does not need to be changed. I explained this earlier a while back, but the technology for software and hardware is sufficient enough nowadays so that the trans does not need a new fluid every 30k miles.

But you could change it if you want to. Dropping the pan is the best way. This way, you can get all the gunk and fine particles out of the system. FLUSHING on the other hand, can be dangerous, since it can work so well it can get all the gunk into the V/B, screwing everything up.

So if you want to drop the pan and change it, no harm done. FLUSHING at the oil change station, not good.
#4 Old 06-10-2006, 04:03 PM
One with the force

Change the fluid, it is easy to do

Its even easier than that, IMO no need to drop the pan. Its got a strainer that doesnt get changed but cleaned, and unless the fluid is really dirty i'd just leave it be. Your car isnt all that old, and that strainer can hold a lot before it really needs cleaning. If you were to drop the pan i think you'll probly find the strainer to still be clean.

It's easier than changing the oil - just remove the drain plug with a 10mm hex and drain it. And then refill with about 3.5 qts of whatever your owners manual says it uses. It might require Toyota TIV fluid so i d check that. Hint, its easier to know how much to put back if you measure how much came out.

Regarding the fluid never needing to be changed...I've always changed the fluid in my auto transmission equipped cars. And i've never had a trans problem nor replaced an auto trans, even on cars with closeto 200,000 miles.

Last edited by marc780; 06-10-2006 at 04:05 PM.
#5 Old 06-10-2006, 04:57 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I agree with Marc. Drain and refill it every 30,000 miles using the supplied 10MM allen head drain bolt. It's cheap insurance and it's no more difficult than an oil change. You might need a long neck funnel to make the job easier when refilling through the the dipstick hole. When you check the owner's manual for the correct type of trans fluid, also check it for the quantity of fluid required for a drain and refill. The trans for the generation 3 and 4 4 cylinder 5SFE engines only takes 2.6 quarts for a drain and refill.

Mike
#6 Old 06-15-2006, 02:27 AM
New TN User

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Another drain and refil vote.

I have three Toyotas.
They all get a drain and refill in the spring and fall.
One has 84k and one has 75k with no problems with the transmissions.
#7 Old 06-15-2006, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Suggestion

I flush every 30,000 miles. I figure for $130 why not? That's about every 3 years for me. Jon

2009 Kluger V6 AWD Sport/Debadged/30% tint/V-LED LPF/White Night RLS
#8 Old 07-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

I'm w/ Marc and Mike, except I change the fluid every 20K miles and clean the filter out every 60K miles. I've never seen a dirty filter on my Toyotas, even when one had over 190K miles on it.

I used to change the fluid every 30K miles, but my Gen 1 tranny started burning fluid at about 180K miles, so I decreased the interval to every 20K miles on my Gen 4 when I got it(see signature). Changing tranny fluid is easy, cheap insurance.
#9 Old 11-10-2012, 02:28 PM
New TN User

Hi, since u guys are talking about a 2003 LE Camry I decided to join. I just bought that exact model about 2 months ago and I've felt great with it. It has no problem at all, great engine, drives smoothly and everything. A couple of days ago I took it on its first long trip to New Orleans.

I dont know anything about its maintenance, but I do know that Toyotas dont give much problems. How do I know when I have to change the steering oil or the transmission fluid?

What about the refrigerant? I saw it has like a blue liquid in there... Should I buy these refrigrerants or should I use just water?

What other kind of stuff should I be aware of maintenance-wise?
#10 Old 11-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDMcGrew View Post
Hello,

I've got a 2003 Camry that I need to change the and/or flush the transmission fluid in. I know the fluid is a bit burnt but it doesn't look too bad!

Someone told me that I just need to drop the pan, let it drain, replace gasket and pan and refill. Is that accurate, and complete?

Thanks,

:b!
So did you drain and fill or flush your fluid?
#11 Old 11-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbertodeoz View Post
I dont know anything about its maintenance, but I do know that Toyotas dont give much problems. How do I know when I have to change the steering oil or the transmission fluid?

What about the refrigerant? I saw it has like a blue liquid in there... Should I buy these refrigerants or should I use just water?

What other kind of stuff should I be aware of maintenance-wise?
Start by reading the owners manual from cover to cover. And, then find threads with recommendations of maintenance instead of a 6 year old thread from a single poster. Here's a 3 page read: How many Miles are on your 5th Gen Camry?
#12 Old 11-14-2012, 05:31 AM
Official TN Member

We have a 2004 Camry with right at 320k miles. 2.4L engine. I have changed the fluid every 30k since we bought it new. Runs like new, no problems no leaks. Pull the plug,drain,refill. I did pull the pan at 200k just to see about any debri, etc, it was spotless.

Central Alabama
2004 Camry XLE 2.4l, 320k 1 owner miles fall 2012, zero problems.
2005 Vibe 1.8l, 196k
#13 Old 11-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Official TN Member

I have done drain & fill on mine (02 camry) as well every 40K or so. At 118 K now, no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)