Toyota Nation Forum banner

2011 Camry SE 2.5l - 245/40r20 Tires

9K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  StepYaGameUp 
#1 ·
Hello -

First time poster here.. I have looked at the recommended tire thread and want to verify as answers fluctuate.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...011/307539-recommended-wheel-tire-offset.html

I have a 2011 Camry SE w/ KSport Coilovers. Just purchased the following rims in a 20x8.5 all around:
https://www.carid.com/spec-1-wheels/sp-5-black-machined-57638311.html

..And I want to put 245/40r20's on them. They are stated in that thread as acceptable but then read where people state that they may rub or results vary by tire? I have done 35's in the past and they are horrible for a smooth ride. A bump feels like the ground underneath me opened up! I am looking at General G-MAX AS-03 tires in 245/40r20.

They state as incompatible tires on many sites but I have to believe that it CAN work with my setup that includes coilovers and it being stated in that thread as a working solution.

Looking for feedback and somebody to clearly verify this. Thanks!

See less See more
#7 ·
This is what you are looking for right here

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...011/307539-recommended-wheel-tire-offset.html

I had 245-35-20's on my 08 SE with stock ride height. No real rubbing. If I really load the car down, it rubs a little at highway speeds at the top of the rear wheel arches when you hit the right bump. Read through that thread though. Tire size, wheel offset, lowering car, clearance, etc has been discussed in more depth then you could ever want.

I wouldn't do the 245-40 for sure though. Too much tire, not enough clearance.

I'm running on 245-40-19's now and they have the exact same clearance as the 20's, but the ride is so much smoother.

#8 ·
Rapid Roy - For some reason I am hell bent on 245/40's -- apart from ride comfort I suppose that I don't want to crack my rims either.

You mentioned that your 19's are the same as the 20's I am looking into - clearance wise. You said the 20's are too much tire and not enough clearance. However, your 19's have the exact same clearance as the 20's and it appears you do have the clearance? This is what I want to verify.

Am really hoping for 245/40/20's to work with the adjustable coilovers I have. The difference between 35s and 40s is a 1.4 inch difference which technically comes out to an additional .7 inch increase under the fender (if I have this right in my mind). I know its a little more sidewall but its only .5 inch more sidewall and I can still lower it (w/ coilovers) as much as possible to avoid gaps. At least that is my mindset.. Hopefully I got it right but checking in with this message board first... Thanks.

#9 ·
I should have been more clear with my post. The tire size is about the same for the 245-35-20 and the 245-40-19. There is just a little more clearance with the 19's though. I should have taken measurements when I switched over. My profile picture shows my car with the 20's on it. I think you could use the 245-40-20 if you were close to stock ride height. The lower you go, the more clearance issues you will have. If you are okay with some rubbing, go for it. You could always raise it back up a bit. Rolling the fender lips can be done easily. Some guys have even taken out there fender liners for the "hella flush" look.

So, my opinion is that the difference between the 35 and the 40 is very small, but the 35's are right on the verge of being too large/rubbing. Lowering the car will make this worse. Also remember that each tire mfg is a little different. Which ever way you go, post some pictures of your fitment and how low you can go and have it still be driveable. That will help those who are trying to do the same.

#10 ·
Coils make everything easier due to adjustability with camber angles. Adding camber will help with fender rubbing issues. If you are scared that excess camber will be an issue due to more wear, it really isn't. Anyone telling you otherwise has no understanding of how real world camber works since you can negate the affects by setting your toe correctly. As long as you don't go retard camber, you will be peachy as long as your toe is set to factory toe. Toe is the primary wear factor on tires, not camber. For example, I put ~40k miles on my old 225/40-18 tires and 18x8.5+30 set up with -3* of camber all around with factory toe specs. I measured the tires with 4/32out, 4/32middle, 3.5/32inside wear measurements prior to selling that setup. This was driving highway, city, occasional canyons, and with normal rotation intervals.

You may want to check this page out. Hopefully the reason for the 35 series tire isn't only due to aesthetics and stance. You could always frequent your friendly neighborhood tire install place and ask them to put a used 40 series tire on the rim first to try it out. That way you can determine if there will be clearance issues or not
https://www.customwheeloffset.com/w...y&wheel_diameter_from=20&wheel_width_from=8.5

#11 ·
Thank you all for the feedback. I suppose my best option is to purchase a used 245/40/20 tire and try it. I asked the tire company I was going to purchase it from if they can do this for me and said they couldnt because they would get stuck with the inventory if it didnt fit. I think thats an unfriendly answer. Really got turned off when I heard that. Anyways, and as always because you cant depend on people, the mission is back on me to find a 245/40/20 to test with. If I cant find one, I may just go with the 35 to speed up the process but I will be settling at that point... Will keep you posted unless there are more ideas out there. Thanks!

#14 ·
Okay.. I got my 20's on, finally.

I had a local place try on the original 245/40/20 tires I wanted to go with and they would not fit. I eventually went with General 245/35/20s and was able to lower it. I like the way it turned out.

One issue is that I get massive rub on all sides with how low I am riding. Mostly front left side and usually hitting a dip while driving. I am looking into getting my fenders rolled in a few weeks and will update.

Let me know what you guys think..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.