120k Transmission Fluid Change - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 Old 02-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Most all debris is usually coating the surface of the pan as it falls out of suspension and the magnets catch the iron and steel. The filters I have seen are not plugged up and in my Avalon it is a metal screen that can be reused. I've done full exchanges on all my cars with no problems, They actually shift better, and after a throttle cable adjustment they shift as smooth as butter. 3 + gallons to do it until the fluid pumps out clean.

***The cable is called a " throttle cable " in my OEM Toyota repair manual.But it controls pressure in the trans.

My Avalon ATF was done at 170,000 miles As per the Car Doctors advice, I did 2 pan drains and refills and then after a few thousand miles I did a exchange . At 177,000 when I replaced the radiator, I did another fluid exchange since the ATF cooler lines were already off.

Some of this discussion reminds me of the old days when oil was non detergent and if your motor was all sludged up a switch to detergent oil could free up the sludge . And then there were those who did kerosene flushes at oil changes which in some ways are like when they introduce a chemical to clean out the trans = a flush.

As a test of your shop's knowledge ask them to adjust the "throttle cable" and tell you how they did it. A simple small adjustment makes a world of difference and all cables stretch some and will need adjustment for the trans to perform properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 02-17-2017, 03:41 PM
イリジウム

Thanked 1,069 Times in 1,005 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Supreme Member
To be fair, they were reasonable in not wanting to "exchange" all the fluid and change the filter. There was a memo I think by ATRA transmission rebuilders assoc cautioning that. It's more about liability.

But like others already said, the transmission may already be on its way out, I'd want new fluid and filter in there. But just drain and refill and see how it behaves. Not full fluid exchange at once. Make sure they get the fluid level right. Hard to do when car is at operating temp.

Call up other ATRA member shops and ask. Some can be duds so check references. www.atra.com
post #33 of 37 Old 02-17-2017, 03:46 PM
イリジウム

Thanked 1,069 Times in 1,005 Posts
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Supreme Member
BTW, I don't think this transmission has a cable to adjust line pressure.

U660E if I'm not mistaken. IMO it's a known POS clunker, so 120k it's doing well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 02-18-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well just an update my trusty mechanic changed my fluid with a simple drain and fill and said if transmission will last till summer then he'll change the filter. He also found my exhaust is leaking through the flex pipe. As far as the results of the drain and fill. It slipped a few times but seems to running fine. Gonna drain and fill it during my next oil change in about 3500 miles. Thanks everyone for the help.

post #35 of 37 Old 02-19-2017, 07:35 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Atf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGD View Post
BTW, I don't think this transmission has a cable to adjust line pressure.

U660E if I'm not mistaken. IMO it's a known POS clunker, so 120k it's doing well.

That is why I brought a Toyota workshop manual , So I could repair things and learn how to adjust the Transmission cables on my 1985 Supra and 1998 Avalon.

If the shop you go to is so good ,, perhaps they should have told you to do a ATF change at 50,000 miles.

After you have any oil or ATF changed, You should check the level your self, that info is in the glove box owner's booklet. If you don't do the regular maintenance and simple work the glove box book tells you your at the mercy of who or what ever they tell you. But some things like oil and ATF change intervals should be done much sooner than recommended in modern booklets.

I've heard of a few oil change places not putting oil in and the motor blowing up, But I often wonder how can the owner not see the gauge or warning light or hear the motor noise when a motor has no oil in it. Then there are the shops that up sell you on trans and brake fluid flushes and not doing the work, but charging you for it.
post #36 of 37 Old 02-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
^^ That last part. Pepboys does that. My aunt goes to pepboys and she has a written estimate for brake fluid and brakes for instance. I checked and it was previously changed/clean, pads fine. Next time she went they did not write that up and one of the mechanics told her it was fine.

This can happen to oil change too. It happened in a walmart in oklahoma to another relative of ours. They forgot to refill oil or did not put the bolt properly. It had no oil. I did not see that but she had only asked me about it when I visited her when I used to live there. She wanted to know what kind of damage to look for.

2002 Avalon XL 3.0L mcx20L 1MZFE
2004 Camry LE 2.4L ATM 2AZFE ACV30L-CEPNKA 4FC
2000 Corolla CE1 4 Cyl 1.8L EFI ATM 1ZZFE ZZE110L-DEPDKA SED 4FC
post #37 of 37 Old 02-20-2017, 11:00 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iizbor3d View Post
I went today to get an estimate on a transmission fluid change for my 07 camry with 120k miles on it. The shop advised me against the change and to leave it since it is already to late and will cause damage. I looked at the dipstick the color is a brown but you can still see some lightness to it. I know it is late for a flush but I assumed a change won't do damage from what I read on forums and from ChrisFix. So am I better of with leaving it and letting the transmission run its life or should I go back to the shop and still request the work done?
I flushed my 2004 at 179K without any issue. Mine is at 230K now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)