KYB Strut-Plus - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 02-15-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Gen6 KYB Strut-Plus

I found a large number of threads about how Monroe Quick Struts are awful, but I can find very little about the KYB pre-assembled version KYB Strut Plus. I did see one thread where a person wrote their Camry ended up about 1/2" higher than stock after switching to KYB Strut Plus, which does worry me a bit.

I just don't want to mess with having the springs removed and reinstalled on new struts I bring to a shop (and zero interest in attempting that myself), but maybe none of the pre-assembled aftermarket units are worth the trouble either? Maybe I missed a brand, but these two (Monroe and KYB) are the only assembly brands offered by RockAuto, which makes me think there aren't many options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-15-2017, 09:25 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Never tried Strut Plus on the camry but did use it on my van. It uses the same Excel-G absorber and all of the other kyb parts. Mostly people go with Monroe as it is somewhat more available in local stores also. Most that go with KYB use the oem spring (and other parts) unless something is needed new. Then its decision time, oem vs aftermarket.

Other than that, height was ok. Monroe sits higher but does go down over time, just like KYB is stiff and softens little after 3000 miles.

There are several assemblies available on amazon, ebay, and local autoparts stores. The car being so old, sometimes its best to go with less expensive assemblies that have warranty. Then you can swap them out. Recently I replaced our 04 camry with KYBx4 with oem bearing and insulators, while reusing mounts and springs. I had bought parts in bits over time, then realized I should have got less expensive struts instead. On the bright side, the car is used by parents and less mileage, so not a big loss. It will last them as long as the car works.

Check autozone and pepboys for sales as well. The pricing might work out with a diff of 100 or so overall. Unless everything else is awesome on the car, its not worth going expensive on just suspension. Monroe warranty is good. KYB not so good, its just defect and not wear. I have been only using KYB to date on all our vehicles, but next time I will get Sensen for our really old cars and I have a single-action spring compressor, which takes less than 5 mins to swap out.

2002 Avalon XL 3.0L mcx20L 1MZFE
2004 Camry LE 2.4L ATM 2AZFE ACV30L-CEPNKA 4FC
2000 Corolla CE1 4 Cyl 1.8L EFI ATM 1ZZFE ZZE110L-DEPDKA SED 4FC
post #3 of 3 Old 02-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
FWIW I put Unity assemblies on my 05 Camry a while back. One of them was defective from the get go which was kind of obvious as it seemed already used once out of the box but they did not give me trouble and changed it for me. It increased the ride height by an inch but then again I am sure the original springs were sagging some after 160K miles. The handling and the noises got much better. I drove the car for another 10K Miles and then sold it. If you buy from the manufacturer site it is no tax (unless you are in Florida) and free shipping which makes a big difference. I am not sure how well they will hold up in the long run, but then again it is much cheaper than KYB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)